Saints Row: The Third Saints Row: The Third - Remastered Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I think the remaster should be an indication of what Saints Row should go towards as a serious, regarding graphics at least. The original was nice, but the remaster feels far more mature.

That said, the Saints still drive civilian cars. All they had to do was rearrange variants for cars that are driven by the Saints and assign the Saints variant to ID 0 instead of whatever ID it has now.
It's such a rookie mistake that takes such little effort to work around. Originally I had that in mind for a new iteration for my NPC spawn mod, but my plans were a bit too grand for the memory constraints to handle. It did work and I ended up adding Saints variants to a lot more cars. The game didn't like the extra memory, which is truly a downer.
All in all it would've probably taken 30 minutes at most with Kinzie's Toy Box (the unfinished SDK for SR:TT), which is a pretty shabby representation of dev tools. I expect the devs to have something more efficient.

If you can't fix a system to get result X, at least make a workaround. There are multiple ways to Rome.

I really, really hate how Pierce looks. I'm not saying the original was good/aged well, but I think the new model looks terrible. His skin somehow seems event more plasticine, and it looks revolting.
I don't have any major issues with any of the visual changes other than the lack of planar reflections and the horrible character models. But since the major appeal of this game for me was its excellent character creator, that is a deal breaker. I really really hate the new textures for the female boss, and the hair looks god awful, washed out, fuzzy, lacking detail, and awkwardly contrasting with the disparate facial models. I don't understand why they feel the need to make everyone have overly course, splotchy skin, especially since for the Boss they are still using the original model and geometry, with no option for more clear skin, it looks caked on and terrible. Shaundi has bizarrely pronounced nasio labial folds that make her look much older than she should. Cyrus, Kia, Matt and Philip have completely broken character models with terrible rigging and design. Everyone has a bizarre neck fold texture, Viola and Kinsie new geometry would theoretically be fine (if they animated properly) but all the new characters have incredibly messy and unrealistic looking skin textures.

The characters don't even resemble the "power" cinematic, Philip Loren was much younger in that trailer, but here he looks far older and completely unrecognizable, not to mention I feel that was a terribly backwards design ethos in the first place, since that was done by an outside marketing department.

Completely irrelevant to the artstyle, I strongly prefer Kinsie, Pierce and Oleg's updated look in AOM, I strongly hope that the next Saints Row doesn't look like this.

I really, really hate how Pierce looks. I'm not saying the original was good/aged well, but I think the new model looks terrible. His skin somehow seems event more plasticine, and it looks revolting.
I don't have any major issues with any of the visual changes other than the lack of planar reflections and the horrible character models. But since the major appeal of this game for me was its excellent character creator, that is a deal breaker. I really really hate the new textures for the female boss, and the hair looks god awful, washed out, fuzzy, lacking detail, and awkwardly contrasting with the disparate facial models. I don't understand why they feel the need to make everyone have overly course, splotchy skin, especially since for the Boss they are still using the original model and geometry, with no option for more clear skin, it looks caked on and terrible. Shaundi has bizarrely pronounced nasio labial folds that make her look much older than she should. Cyrus, Kia, Matt and Philip have completely broken character models with terrible rigging and design. Everyone has a bizarre neck fold texture, Viola and Kinsie new geometry would theoretically be fine (if they animated properly) but all the new characters have incredibly messy and unrealistic looking skin textures.

The characters don't even resemble the "power" cinematic, Philip Loren was much younger in that trailer, but here he looks far older and completely unrecognizable, not to mention I feel that was a terribly backwards design ethos in the first place, since that was done by an outside marketing department.

Completely irrelevant to the artstyle, I strongly prefer Kinsie, Pierce and Oleg's updated look in AOM, I strongly hope that the next Saints Row doesn't look like this.
Hm, not really plasticy, more like they are all oiled up. The skin is impressively updated. You can see the pores and other skin blemishes, it's rather impressive. Just, it reflects to much light. But I actually like all updated models. Kinzy especially. They look more realistic in a way, but also keep their cartoony side. I just wish they would make Shaundi and Pierce look more like they did in Saints Row 2. In 3, they are completey different. I really like the updated Johnny Gat as well. He looks more like he did in 2.

Hm, not really plasticy, more like they are all oiled up. The skin is impressively updated. You can see the pores and other skin blemishes, it's rather impressive. Just, it reflects to much light. But I actually like all updated models. Kinzy especially. They look more realistic in a way, but also keep their cartoony side. I just wish they would make Shaundi and Pierce look more like they did in Saints Row 2. In 3, they are completey different. I really like the updated Johnny Gat as well. He looks more like he did in 2.

I don't agree, I really hate the over emphasis of gross skin details and blemishes, and the complete inability to allow clearer skin in the customization. I don't think it is actually realistic, games are often really bad at depicting how perspective/lighting/distance actually changes how people look, and that the building blocks of skin cells aren't the ever present visible occurrence they make it out to be.

It also feels like they pasted the hyper skin textures over the older cartoony rigging, animation and geometry, which causes a horrific looking uncanny valley effect. In absolutely every cutscene, there is a significant downgrade in the quality of facial animation and emotional expression, which kills certain scenes. Not to mention the broken looking hair meshes look disparate from the models themselves, especially on the npcs.

It's difficult to explain, there is a difference between Watch Dogs, and the uncanny valley faces of stuff like Frostbite Engine games, David Cage titles, Injustice 2 and Mortal Kombat 11. By stylized realism, I mean something similar to A Way Out, or maybe even Witcher in that it has an aesthetically clean style, and doesn't attempt to push the uncanny valley. Over emphasizing skin details in an ugly way in the attempt of realism, often looks unrealistic and misunderstands how human perception works, especially at a distance. Essentially making people look and move worse than they do in real life.

In my eyes, the skin looks very plasticine, oiley, and blotchy, to an unrealistic and absurd extent, and combined with the terrible facial animation, broken rigging, and redone geometry, kills the artstyle for me.

I really hate how advances in visual technology are increasingly correlated with making everyone look more ugly and unpleasant.

You can see the pores and other skin blemishes, it's rather impressive.
It's sorta 90s-00s thing when nobody really knows how to make realistic skin and one way was to use detail bump mapping. This bad, really bad because it looks like sandpaper, adds too much harsh to look and when light colour is not similar to skin tone the character become looks like a corpse. It was ok on ps360 but they should implement subsurface scattering to do it right today.
1429789097704.jpg
4958d2e2745a2c0133aed351bbd80fa07a3a6047.jpg

The worst change for me was the revolution of the police car from the Peacemaker to this small urban car. I've never done a Saints Row mod before, but I'm looking into adding the SRIV Pacemaker, with all its additional gears, back to SRTTR. That would be awesome.

I really don't understand what Sperasoft's goal was. This remaster is a really mixed bag even if you forget all of the bugs.

Remaking all the major characters from the ground up was a really bad investment of resources, especially when you realize that the final product is objectively worse: the new realistic models (even if they look good) clash with the models that have only received new textures (like pedestrians and regular cops), also, making every single female character prettier seems like a good idea on paper until you realize that Monica Hughes is now more bangable than Shaundi, and also straying too far from what the characters originally looked like is bound to upset people no matter how good your new models are, because they're no longer the characters that players know and love (just look at Claire from the Resident Evil 2 remake for an example of that). My personal worst offenders are Shaundi, Pierce, Monica (since they also appear in 2 the changes are even more jarring), Kinzie (she looks more like a teenager who bought a hoodie with FBI written on it in a costume shop rather than an actual former FBI agent who still wear her jacket to be constantly reminded of what she's lost), Matt (he just looks bad), and Phillipe (don't make your characters look like their voice actors unless they fit the character you're going for).
In my opinion they should have just used the models from SR4 since they are a bit higher res, and do some minor tweaks. This would have kept the art style and models consistent while avoiding the lip sync problem and still offering something of higher quality.
Same problem with the vehicles, even if their new models kick ass, it wasn't necessary to remake them all from the ground up, the original models didn't look that outdated. Just tweak them a bit. This would have also prevented them from completely changing some models, sometimes for the worse. Seriously, what the fuck happened to the Blaze?

If making the game more realistic was their main goal, this project was doomed from the start. Most of the changes they've made to the environment and lighting are pretty good. But instead of creating ridiculously detailed models for characters and vehicles they should have focused on fixing bugs and adding new content (like weapon customization, layered clothing, select items from SR4, and so on). Missed opportunity, sadly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back