Saints Row: The Third Saints Row: The Third - Remastered Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
you just strengthen what i said about only graphical changes no story changing even a bit or at least different side quests

So I decided to revisit this website after the news, and I have to say, the sheer advancement within the modding community for Saints Row has surprised me quite a bit!
From a laymen's perspective, it's really impressive to see the kind of visual, character and other overhauls present here and on the steam workshop. I would like to try out some mods, but quite honestly I don't know where to start! I would love to get some perspective on what kind of work has been done by the community, Or otherwise get some advice/recommendations on character mods/overall improvements to the games.
Singa, Admixon and BeautiDuwanger appear to have done some exceptional work with the games. Huge commendations to all the fans still making these games better!

I'm interested in seeing what the character remodels look like in full, as that would make or break this remaster for me, Shaundi looks rather drastically different (whether for better or worse is hard to say at this point), so I genuinely wonder how that looks whilst animated, especially if it's on the same rig within cutscenes. If there has been any significant visual work done to improve the player character's model, and allow them to animate better in game and in cutscenes, that would be absolutely exceptional. The gaming industry is absolutely starved for decent character customization, and I highly prefer the aesthetic of Saints Row games to the uncanny valley attempts at realism present within most of the Triple A Western gaming industry, especially since it almost always looks less realistic and authentic than stylized realism art within games.

The fact that the game is heading to Epic heavily worries me due to their lack of modding support, terribly security, privacy vulnerability, and complete lack of features. If the game manages to get Workshop support by Sperasoft, or otherwise the modding community manages to reverse program and get stable mod support moving forward, that would greatly intrigue me, at this point in time, it is interesting, but not overly exciting.

As of right now, I am much more excited for the Saints Row 2 update, as that will finally allow me to play a game I missed out on within its generation.

... and I highly prefer the aesthetic of Saints Row games to the uncanny valley attempts at realism present within most of the Triple A Western gaming industry, especially since it almost always looks less realistic and authentic than stylized realism art within games...
I don’t quite get what you mean by that. But for me, video games which have realistic character models, animations and environments are more aesthetically pleasing than stylized games with slick graphics. For example, if I were to choose between Watch Dogs, a 2013 game which was heavily criticized due to its downgraded graphics, and Final Fantasy Remake; I’d choose the former. Of course, realistic game mechanics and believable logic should accompany realistic visuals. That is the reason why I dislike other games from Ubisoft. For example, not even in alternate reality would you imagine seeing a person becoming more bullet-spongy when gaining experience, or leap from the top of a building and always land on a haystack. Also regarding visuals, I came to dislike games with first-person view including FPS, because I haven’t seen any of those games with an accurate FOV and/or realistic animations of the hands doing something else other than holding guns/weapons.

Last edited:
I don’t quite get what you mean by that. But for me, video games which have realistic character models, animations and environments are more aesthetically pleasing than stylized games with slick graphics. For example, if I were to choose between Watch Dogs, a 2013 game which was heavily criticized due to its downgraded graphics, and Final Fantasy Remake; I’d choose the former. Of course, realistic game mechanics and believable logic should accompany realistic visuals. That is the reason why I dislike other games from Ubisoft. For example, not even in alternate reality would you imagine seeing a person becoming more bullet-spongy when gaining experience, or leap from the top of a building and always land on a haystack. Also regarding visuals, I came to dislike games with first-person view including FPS, because I haven’t seen any of those games with an accurate FOV and/or realistic animations of the hands doing something else other than holding guns/weapons.

It's difficult to explain, there is a difference between Watch Dogs, and the uncanny valley faces of stuff like Frostbite Engine games, David Cage titles, Injustice 2 and Mortal Kombat 11. By stylized realism, I mean something similar to A Way Out, or maybe even Witcher in that it has an aesthetically clean style, and doesn't attempt to push the uncanny valley. Over emphasizing skin details in an ugly way in the attempt of realism, often looks unrealistic and misunderstands how human perception works, especially at a distance. Essentially making people look and move worse than they do in real life.

...Over emphasizing skin details in an ugly way in the attempt of realism, often looks unrealistic and misunderstands how human perception works, especially at a distance. Essentially making people look and move worse than they do in real life.
You mean the enhanced realism in character models is actually making the visuals look unrealistic? I agree with you. It also makes the stiffness in the character’s facial expressions more noticeable and uglier with hyper-realistic textures. I hope that the enhanced textures in the SR3 remaster will not make the characters look worse.

Update: After re-watching the trailer, I now reckon how the graphics update may break the game for you. Improved lighting effects highlight the textures on the characters, which would make any flaws more visible. Keep your hopes up for the final product.

Last edited:
I watch and read all, but for what I can say are simple things:

-Ok, it looks great... but, all the oversize on textures, lighting and effect, I wonder what kind of PC one will need to actually ran it to 60fps, not to mention how big the game will be (My guess are around 70gb)

-I know it is an unpopular comment, but, I will had prefer they remake the first Saints Row, it is mostly for finally play it on PC as an install game, and not using emus that barely will reach the game aspects (and even more IF they are able to ran to game).
I've play all the Saints Row, and only the first elude me for not being on PC.

-That of the Steam coming after the console version its getting very old. I did have to wait many months for the update of Monster Hunter World on Steam to Iceborn (and it was horrible).

-I'm looking at the modding support. I don't care how it is done, by the community or producers, I need to be able to only texture modding. With that, I'm happy, only with that.

Anyway, I can only do is wait (specially now days).

For example, if I were to choose between Watch Dogs, a 2013 game which was heavily criticized due to its downgraded graphics, and Final Fantasy Remake; I’d choose the former.
Happens to me with Dragon Dogma vs Skyrim, I mean, yeah, Skyrim has ridiculous high graphic, a big world and many weapons and quest vs Dragon Dogma, but, Dragon Dogma has a more realistic and flexible animation for do pretty much anything, you do feel more nimble no matter what you vs Skyrim that stick to an small update of the animation of Oblivion.
That is why I like Saints Row too; the animation don't look fake, and no matter what you do in any of the installation of the game, it looks comfortable.

You mean the enhanced realism in character models is actually making the visuals look unrealistic? I agree with you. It also makes the stiffness in the character’s facial expressions more noticeable and uglier with hyper-realistic textures. I hope that the enhanced textures in the SR3 remaster will not make the characters look worse.

That ugliness is what worry me, I still wonder how the eyes may look like, because on the original one they tend to look weird with the light they give them.
Later is the facial textures, which, irony enough, it was all part of the main body (full nude) of The Boss, so, I wonder how that will come out.

The lack of mod support from Volition's end is definitely a buzzkill, despite slightly understandable since they didn't really do the remasted themselves.
I kind fear for how much we can do with the game, and whether the things I tried to do (but couldn't because memory restrictions) are going to be possible.

File formats have most likely changed so old SR3 tools quite certainly won't work, which is quite a downer since Volition did give us some tools for SR3 when they went all in on mod support.
Even an equivalent of those tools (a vpkg, a packfile viewer, an str2 viewer, a peg viewer and a vehicle cruncher) would already make me happy.

Really sad that they all pulled out on mod support.
I hope the next installment has full mod support by launch, but I'm not holding my breath.

But for me, video games which have realistic character models, animations and environments are more aesthetically pleasing than stylized games with slick graphics.
I totally agree with this. That's why I'm not a fan of the deliberately cartoonish Agents of Mayhem. I've always liked Saints Row games because of their attempts at visual realism. I remember being very impressed with the visual realism in Saints Row 3 when it first came out. This remake looks better, but I never really felt SR3 needed a remake. I've always been hoping they could do something like this for SR1 or SR2, which really look dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back