• Maybe

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I dont care

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I agree. I think Agents of Mayhem will be the game for lovers of Saints Row IV and GOOH, but it's not the type of game I would normally be that enthusiastic about. But since it's VOLITION, and those guys are awesome, I'm wishing them all the best! I think maybe I'm just over-saturated with all the superhero movies and TV shows out there. I really miss the gritty realism of Saints Row 1 and 2. I think those were something special and unique. I'm really hoping upon hoping for another classic style Saints Row game with new awesome realistic graphics!
agents of mayhem doesnt look NEARLY as customizable as sr4s protagonist.
if they wanna please both fans, might I recommend making the superpowered games from here on out be spin-offs.... like with how blood dragon was a spin-off of far cry 3. no one was mad at that, yet the fans are devided on sr4.

personally though, i still say keep going with the craziness. why? because what is a game supposed to be, above all else? fun. and sr4 did that more than ANY other saints row game for me. even sr2.

if they wanna please both fans, might I recommend making the superpowered games from here on out be spin-offs.... like with how blood dragon was a spin-off of far cry 3. no one was mad at that, yet the fans are devided on sr4.

personally though, i still say keep going with the craziness. why? because what is a game supposed to be, above all else? fun. and sr4 did that more than ANY other saints row game for me. even sr2.
Thankfully it seem's like Volition listened to the lukewarm reviews for SR GOOH since Agents of Mayhem appears to be an "Elseworld's Story" similar to say the relationship between Primal\Blood Dragon and the main Far Cry series, or at one point how Red Faction became a "what if" for SR2.

However, it's also still part of the main timeline. My main theory is that the Cop ending for GOOH takes place years, maybe even a decade or two after AOM since Brimstone looks to be in her 50's while in AOM she looks much younger, and that in this timeline a bunch of ex-Syndicate and STAG grunts probably stumbled upon say a cache of Zin weaponry and became The Legion.
As for the crazy elements it seem's like AOM is more of a generic Super-Hero setting with heavy inspiration from Anime than the "LOL-RANDOM" mess that was SR3 or the use of references as a crutch like what SR4 did in spades.

I have to say, I really DO like all the campaigns for all the Saints Row games including Saints Row IV and Saints Row GOOH. I have enjoyed all the campaigns immensely, and I've had many laugh-out-loud moments! Volition writers really know how to make a very fun and hilarious campaign, and that tongue-and-cheek humor is one constant through the entire Saints Row series. It's really something that sets them apart for all the much more serious games out there.

That said, the campaigns are over quickly, and once I'm done with them I still want to continue playing in an open-world sandbox. This is where the newer games fall short compared to the older ones. The immense open worlds of Saints Row 1 and 2 along with the large variety of vehicles and the customizability just make those games continue to be fun long after the campaign is over. That's why there are so many people still modding Saints Row 2, 8 years after the game was released! And I even spend a lot of time playing Saints Row 3 because I do like the improved graphics. But then Volition started removing a lot of things that really made the games fun. They destroyed all the buildings, removed all the cribs, and removed the boats and weather in Saints Row IV, so there's not much to do there. And GOOH has an interesting map but there's no customization (but, in fairness, it's still well worth the much lower add-on price).

My fear is that superpowers were used as an excuse to remove all of the other fun things, because with the superpowers you don't need all the vehicles and cribs. But, once you fly around the whole city, then what? Then I go back and play the older games.

They need to make a game featuring STAG. Not a spin-off, but a shared universe game.

I have to say, I really DO like all the campaigns for all the Saints Row games including Saints Row IV and Saints Row GOOH. I have enjoyed all the campaigns immensely, and I've had many laugh-out-loud moments! Volition writers really know how to make a very fun and hilarious campaign, and that tongue-and-cheek humor is one constant through the entire Saints Row series. It's really something that sets them apart for all the much more serious games out there.

That said, the campaigns are over quickly, and once I'm done with them I still want to continue playing in an open-world sandbox. This is where the newer games fall short compared to the older ones. The immense open worlds of Saints Row 1 and 2 along with the large variety of vehicles and the customizability just make those games continue to be fun long after the campaign is over. That's why there are so many people still modding Saints Row 2, 8 years after the game was released! And I even spend a lot of time playing Saints Row 3 because I do like the improved graphics. But then Volition started removing a lot of things that really made the games fun. They destroyed all the buildings, removed all the cribs, and removed the boats and weather in Saints Row IV, so there's not much to do there. And GOOH has an interesting map but there's no customization (but, in fairness, it's still well worth the much lower add-on price).

My fear is that superpowers were used as an excuse to remove all of the other fun things, because with the superpowers you don't need all the vehicles and cribs. But, once you fly around the whole city, then what? Then I go back and play the older games.
the city is the main advantage sr2 has to sr4.

also. i figured out why sr4 is so hated...
it really isnt the games fault. it's hated not because its silly but because it is a saints row game.
if it werent called sr4... would you have hated it?
if this is the case, the hate sr4 gets is pretty damn unfair.

Last edited:
the city is the main advantage sr2 has to sr4.

also. i figured out why sr4 is so hated...
it really isnt the games fault. it's hated not because its silly but because it is a saints row game.
if this is the case, the hate sr4 gets is pretty damn unfair.

Personally people wouldn't have reacted as negatively to SR4 if it was called something different. I know Volition absolutely hates being compared to Rockstar but Red Dead is essentially GTA in a Wild-West setting and Manhunt takes place in both the 3D and HD timelines, however what saved those games from potential backlash from the fambsse is that they didn't call Manhunt or RDR "GTA 4" or "GTA 5" because Rockstar knew that even though one series shared the same formula and the other takes place in the same universe they just wouldn't work as full-fledged GTA games .

As a matter of fact let's look at a more recent example, both Far Cry Blood Dragon and Primal use the FC3 engine but much like how Rockstar didn't name RDR or Manhunt as GTA, Ubisoft didn't name either spin-off "Far Cry 4" or "Far Cry 5".

This is why people reacted so negatively to SR4, instead of being a spin-off or what if like what they did with Red Faction they made it part of the main story and it eventually resulted in Volition having to retcon at least half of the series with Agents of Mayhem, now that wouldn't be a major issue if Volition didn't gut the game, but they did.

Abother thing. For a series known for its "wackiness" they sure did remove a massive amount of things from SR3, such as Cribs, Boats, the og Taxi model, any landmarks Steelport had, and the Chainsaw. Secondly they wanted to distance themselves from GTA yet they ditched the old Dual Notoriety system for what is essentially the same wanted system from GTA, just with aliens instead of cops, and sure fighting aliens is wacky, but if they're the only faction in the entire game that you fight, and if the enemies look bland as beans on toast with a personality of dried paint then the overall shock value of "Aliens in SR" will unfortunately be quickly replaced with boredom.

That's an interesting question. It's likely that I would not have had such high expectations.

Up until Saints Row IV, there were certain things I had come to really enjoy about Saints Row games. I really enjoyed the realism of the world they created. Volition was able to create a very visually realistic world with realistic people (limited by current technology, of course) and things real people would do, such as interacting, driving, boating, flying in airplanes, going to stores and buying things they needed, such as vehicles, clothes, food, etc. A living and breathing world! Yes, people compared Saints Row to GTA because of that, but Volition didn't stop there. Into this ordinary world, Volition put forth THE SAINTS! Although they were normal people, the Saints were oh, so cool! They exuded charisma. They had incredible style and swagger! People followed them, and they accumulated homes and status. By the end of a Saints Row game, your boss was sitting pretty! He/she was king/queen of the city!

Most of that was lost in Saints Row IV. Maybe I wouldn't have expected all that if it wasn't called Saints Row, but maybe I wouldn't have purchased it either. I think the problem is, Volition set the bar so high with Saints Row 2, it's just a really hard act to follow.

EDIT: But, I want to say, I don't hate Saints Row IV. There are certain things I really like about it, such as the 1950's Steelport, which is really cool. And I really love "How the Saints Save Christmas" DLC. I'm so glad we have mods to get back to those places. But, again, I like them for different reasons than a traditional Saints Row game.

Last edited:
Personally people wouldn't have reacted as negatively to SR4 if it was called something different. I know Volition absolutely hates being compared to Rockstar but Red Dead is essentially GTA in a Wild-West setting and Manhunt takes place in both the 3D and HD timelines, however what saved those games from potential backlash from the fambsse is that they didn't call Manhunt or RDR "GTA 4" or "GTA 5" because Rockstar knew that even though one series shared the same formula and the other takes place in the same universe they just wouldn't work as full-fledged GTA games .

As a matter of fact let's look at a more recent example, both Far Cry Blood Dragon and Primal use the FC3 engine but much like how Rockstar didn't name RDR or Manhunt as GTA, Ubisoft didn't name either spin-off "Far Cry 4" or "Far Cry 5".

This is why people reacted so negatively to SR4, instead of being a spin-off or what if like what they did with Red Faction they made it part of the main story and it eventually resulted in Volition having to retcon at least half of the series with Agents of Mayhem, now that wouldn't be a major issue if Volition didn't gut the game, but they did.

Abother thing. For a series known for its "wackiness" they sure did remove a massive amount of things from SR3, such as Cribs, Boats, the og Taxi model, any landmarks Steelport had, and the Chainsaw. Secondly they wanted to distance themselves from GTA yet they ditched the old Dual Notoriety system for what is essentially the same wanted system from GTA, just with aliens instead of cops, and sure fighting aliens is wacky, but if they're the only faction in the entire game that you fight, and if the enemies look bland as beans on toast with a personality of dried paint then the overall shock value of "Aliens in SR" will unfortunately be quickly replaced with boredom.
theres one positive about fighting the zin: zinyak himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back