Billboard Texture Toolkit

To be honest, I did save in the original folder at first, but I caught it before I ran the BATs the first time. After that, I double checked they saved correctly before both runs. And even after the second run, I can see the files I saved in the work_area_dds folder, so I know they're in the right folder..

Let's try and figure out which part of the process breaks down.

Checking the first part:
After running Pack_and_send_all_work_area_dds_files_to_your_mod_release.bat it should put your newly packed cvbm and gvbm files here:
..\Billboard_texture_toolkit_v2_IdolNinja\YOUR_WIP_MOD_RELEASE\textures\

Try and extract those cvbm/gvbm files and see if they have your new textures. You can do this by copying both of them (the cvbm and gvbm of a texture) to the tools folder and dragging the .cvbm file on to SR3UnpackTextures.exe

Wow, I can't even get that to work. I get an error message whenever I try to run SR3UnpackTextures, with or without dragging.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 616
Oh, no need. Apparently someone else had the same problem as I did on the first page. At the bottom of page 1, he uploaded an updated version, which works fine.

Unfortunately for me, after unpacking the texture, I can see that my image didn't take. It still has the game texture there. Is there something I'm missing when I'm saving the file?

EDIT: Ignore that. Obviously, the RepackTextures was flawed too, so once I replaced the two files, it replaced the game texture perfectly fine. I'll let you know if everything works out in the end.

Try running this batch file instead. I added pauses to it so you can check each step and remarks after every step so you can open it in notepad and read along and see what everything does. Keep checking each step to see where/if the process breaks down. The end result should be a collection of new cvbm/gvbm files with your textures in
..\Billboard_texture_toolkit_v2_IdolNinja\YOUR_WIP_MOD_RELEASE\textures\

Attachments

• batch_file_pause_version.rar
    928 bytes · Views: 497
Hey IdolNinja.

First off, thanks bunches for this tool - very useful and fun!

There's one issue however. I had made my replacement textures and ran the batch files and to my puzzlement all my custom billboards were showing up fine, but the 128x512 huge rotating billboards were still the originals. After wasting an hour or so tearing my hair out (as I naturally assumed I did something wrong - but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what!) I happened to glance at the file dates in the textures subfolder and noticed that the file dates hadn't changed from the originals. So I double-checked the batch file.

Anyway, long story short - you need to add the following lines to the "Pack_and_send_all_work_area_dds_files_to_your_mod_release" batch file or the poster billboards won't get updated when people run your tool:

SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_brands_a.cvbm_pc
SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_saints_a.cvbm_pc
SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_syndicate_a.cvbm_pc

Thanks again for all the great modding you do. You've added many hours of fun to my SRTT playthroughs.

PS Any news on the Gentlemen of Steelport GUI ?

Hey IdolNinja.

First off, thanks bunches for this tool - very useful and fun!

There's one issue however. I had made my replacement textures and ran the batch files and to my puzzlement all my custom billboards were showing up fine, but the 128x512 huge rotating billboards were still the originals. After wasting an hour or so tearing my hair out (as I naturally assumed I did something wrong - but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what!) I happened to glance at the file dates in the textures subfolder and noticed that the file dates hadn't changed from the originals. So I double-checked the batch file.

Anyway, long story short - you need to add the following lines to the "Pack_and_send_all_work_area_dds_files_to_your_mod_release" batch file or the poster billboards won't get updated when people run your tool:

SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_brands_a.cvbm_pc
SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_saints_a.cvbm_pc
SR3RepackTextures lcd_large_syndicate_a.cvbm_pc

Thanks again for all the great modding you do. You've added many hours of fun to my SRTT playthroughs.

PS Any news on the Gentlemen of Steelport GUI ?

Good catch. I have updated the toolkit to v2 and corrected those missing commands. I also noticed the missing ticker tape line as well as some duplicate repacks. All of that is cleaned up as well. You can grab the latest build in the OP.

I must have been half asleep when I wrote all that up. lol.

I hope to have the GoS gui out before SR4 hits. Probably not the ETA you were looking for, but that's the best I can do right now.

You are now officially my idol too! LOL. This looks fantastic... if I can ever grasp it all, that is. :p But it looks like a superfun thing to do!

Back