1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Billboard Texture Toolkit

Discussion in 'Tool Releases' started by [V] IdolNinja, Mar 1, 2013.

1. [V] IdolNinja

[V] IdolNinja Volition Staff

This toolkit simplifies and automates the process of creating a set of replacement billboards for SRTT.

Attached Files:

noskcaj, Ryan_saint_2 and Alyxia like this.
  2. Outstanding excellent work there IdolNinja !
    You are now officially my idol.:D

This Billboard Texture Toolkit ( BTT ) is what I was hoping for months ago but thought it may be too much to ask for and too complicated for me to figure out how it may function.
    This will indeed open the floodgates of artistic creativity for very many people to create billboard textures.
    Once again, you have made SteelPort even more beautiful, interesting and fun.

You have my vote for Mayor and no one has done more than you to improve the City of SteelPort.
    So if this is your idea of city beautification, then I say that you got some fantastic ideas there bro.

Looking forward to the integration of the interior crib art textures and will not ask you when will it be done.
    Good things are worth waiting for and as you said to others when asked that question, "when it's done".

A million thanks to you IdolNinja.:cool:

I usually export/convert the .dds files with Gimp to the .tga image format.
    Would you say that exporting the .dds files to .png is better than exporting to .tga ?
    The .jpeg/.jpg image format is very 'lossy', and sometimes after converting a .tga to .dds results in some color bleeding or color blending into adjacent colors.
    I'm going to try converting/exporting the .dds to the .png image format, edit it and then put it back into .dds and see the in game results.
    Thanks again there bro.;)

3. [V] IdolNinja

I say try both formats and see what they end up looking like in-game. I'm also very curious to get some feedback on how well the process works and if the instructions are easy to follow.

I do plan on spending some time this weekend integrating other world textures into the toolkit and making it more robust. Personally, my motivation is that I want this one-click solution to use myself. It's a royal pain in the ass to hunt down all the correct str2_pc files each time you want to make minor changes.

4. I agree, especially for the customize_item.vpp_pc that contains about 1,254 .str2_pc archives.
    It would be nice to be able to unpack all of them into a seperate folder and then have all the
    .cpeg_pc, .gpeg_pc, .cvbm_pc and .gvbm_pc archives unpacked to .dds with a few clicks.;)

Your instructions for the BTT ( Billboard Texture Toolkit ) are comprehendible, however in the
    'handy stuff' readme;

Throw any cvbm/gvbm files into this folder and run the batch file. It will automagically
    extract every single DDS file from every cvbm archive that is here.

In the main folder readme;
    In the handy_stuff folder is a batch file that will unpack all cvbm files in whatever folder you put it in.
    ( I understand that the .bat has to be moved to whatever folder contains the .cvbm and the .gvbm )
    it could be misinterpreted by some thinking that folders can be put in there.
    or could they still work too ?

Adding the upacking function of .cpeg_pc and .gpeg_pc would be good too.;)

But still this tool, "as is", is extraordinary and very helpful.:D

5. Arglaar

Arglaar Nitpicking Bastard Staff Member

If I remember correctly, Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/ will allow you to edit DDS files natively without having to convert back and forth.

6. Hi sorry i am new to the forum but ......sorry to disagree gimp is terrible don't ! antiquated i use paint my self .results speak for them selves ... as you can see .. ive posted ... in the great 80 s billboard idol mod ;)

7. [V] IdolNinja

I don't like actually working in Gimp, myself. I do all of my image editing in Photoshop and only use Gimp for export since my older version of Photoshop doesn't output dds correctly.

8. Same here, I only use Gimp for exporting/converting .dds - .tga files.

I have always exported .dds files to the .tga format, it works with these export settings below.
    gimpexportga_1.png

I attempted to export .dds to the .png format ( shown below ) and got a settings window that I'm not 100% sure of, any advice for these settings would be very much appreciated.:D
    gimpexport_png_.png

9. I love the idea for this tool, but I'm having a little trouble getting it to work.

I've downloaded GIMP along with the DDS plugin. I make the PNGs in Photoshop, using the correct dimensions (so far I've only tried to replace the aerialeros, cemshoes and burlesque boards). Then, I opened the PNGs in GIMP and exported the image as a DDS to the work_area_dds folder, with BC1/DXT1 compression and overwriting the existing file. I've tried it with and without generating mipmaps. As an example, one of the file names is billboard_burlesque.d.tga.DDS. I ran the two batch files and moved all the files to the root folder, but I still don't see any change in the billboards. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

10. [V] IdolNinja

Are you 100% sure that you saved the file in work_area_dds and NOT in the original_textures_dds folder?