Saints Row The Third Modding Basics

All mods should come with a readme that explains where the files go. In 99% of the cases you simply put them in the root where the game's exe resides. These files get loaded automatically when you start the game. You do not need to activate them in any way. They just are.

I just signed up so hello everbody.

I have the latest Gibbed's tools and Scanti's texture converter. I read through the forums here and think I have a basic understanding of what to do. But I'm still failing. here is a step by step of what I did. I want to edit a tshirts so I unpacked customize_item.vpp_pc and then unpacked custmesh_1366544601.str2_pc. I converted the corrosponding cpeg and editted the texture in photoshop. I reconverted the cpeg. then repacked the str2. (I dropped the "Packed" off the file name.) then I repacked the vpp. I used a basic batch file to update the asm and it seemed to work. Now my game won't load properly. How exactly should I word my batch file (I'm not good at creating batches.) Is that even the problem? I feel like a complete child right now, so any guidance would be helpful.

Also, I did search the site for an answer so if I missed something, then I apologize.

I thought I had it, but then when I loaded the game, the retextured item is invisible. I tried it a few different ways but the results are the same. Then I added "pause" at the end if my batch file. this is the result.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\saints row the third\packfiles\pc\
cache\customize_item>Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe customize_item.asm_pc .
'Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external c
ommand,
operable program or batch file.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\saints row the third\packfiles\pc\
cache\customize_item>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

my file looks like this...

Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe customize_item.asm_pc .
pause

What gives?

Sorry about the double post.

Because the tool isn't in that folder? You either need to move the tools there, or specify the full path to the tool exe in your batch file.

It's always the obvious answers that we overlook.

So now the asm begins to update. Except now I get another error message.

=> 'custmesh_1632961868'
==> 'cf_body.ccmesh_pc'
==> 'cf_body.cpeg_pc'
Error: container 'custmesh_1632961868' is missing primitive data 'cf_body.gpeg_p
c'
cache\customize_item>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Here's the thing. I never edited custmesh_1632961868. I do have the most current gibbed tool set. I tried unpacking the vpp again and that didn't help. I deleted everything and started from scratch...nothing. I can't get the asm to update, so now what? Seriously, this has got to be the hardest game I've ever modded. I can't figure this thing out.

Did you grab the latest build of the tools that Minimaul has up on the forum here? It fixes a lot of those asm update errors that were present in the last release gibbed did before moving on to other games.

I have gibbedvolition-rev96.7z. I got it here from the tool release forum. It replaced my older build from February/March time frame. I'm going to try to delete everything from my srtt folder then rebuild it from scratch. I don't know what else to do.

-Update- I deleted everything (including local content.) The steam folder was gone entirely. I downloaded it agian and reinstalled it. I downloaded Gibbed Tools rev96. I unpacked everything where it should be. I editted one file. then I tried to update the asm. I got the same error messsage. Then I deleted the problem file just to see if the asm would update. Then I got another error about a different file. I deleted that one too. Got another bad file....I kept this up until I had over a dozen files removed.

These are the files that lack "primative data"
custmesh_-1772451690
custmesh_-472912013
custmesh_-1772451690f
custmesh_1772226460
custmesh_-472912013f
custmesh_1632961868
custmesh_1383169294f
custmesh_-233129239
custmesh_1383169294
custmesh_-1193993617
custmesh_446697835f
custmesh_-1193993617f
custmesh_446697835
custmesh_1772226460f

I got rid of them all, now everything seems to work. Thanks for your help IdolNinja

Hello.. I have the most recent version of GoS installed and was succesful at downloading the "Gang Plus One" mod:

"character.xtbl" "character_definitions.xtbl" "npc_color_pallete"

and then used these mods for vehicle customization:

"vehicle_cust_color_sets.xtbl" "vehicle_cust_interface.xtbl" "vehicle_cust_slots.xtbl"

and the vehicles mod was unsuccesful. My problem is that everytime I use "Perm. Temp. Weapons" mod:

"store_weapons.xtbl" "weapons.xtbl" "items_inventory.xtbl"

and try to buy one of the weapons, and SRTT crashes. I also have the GoS mod "Cheats" working perfectly fine. Please Help. FYI, no immediate rush.

Thank you in advance

Back