Saints Row The Third Modding Basics

Why exactly would you download Gang Plus One rather than use the version included with GoS that was built to be compatible and play nice with everything? You do know there's an advanced mode that lets you choose all that stuff, right?

Why exactly would you download Gang Plus One rather than use the version included with GoS that was built to be compatible and play nice with everything? You do know there's an advanced mode that lets you choose all that stuff, right?

I used the Optional Mods from GoS. Thats what I chose too, advanced mode.

Are you using any additional mods outside of GoS? Either way, I would suggest clearing out all loose files in the root and building new patch files with GoS instead. You would first need to delete all files with the following extension from your SRTT root:
*.xtbl
*.lua
*.str2_pc
*.asm_pc

When I delete those files, would it be easier just to use "Remove_all_SRTT_mods_(MOVE_ME_TO_SRTT_INSTALL_FOLDER)"? Or does that not delete everything?
I'll try this and respond here. Thank you.

Yes, that would work as well. Just make sure to move that bat file into the srtt root before you run it and confirm that it did work successfully.

OK, I feel foolish and I have a funny feeling I'm missing something obvious, but I'm at a stage where I just don't know what's going on.

I can't extract anything.

I have the latest version of the tools linked on the first page of this thread (revision 96). I copy and paste, for example, startup.vpp_pc (used to test as it's small) into the directory I keep the tools in (Q:\Steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\GT-R96\_modding utilities). I then drag it onto Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UnpackVPP.exe which causes a dos box to pop up for about a second and then disappear. Nothing appears to happen. I tried the STR2 unpacker with a modded texture (gang_smg_high.str2_pc from the Tacticool Weapons pack) and met with identical failure. No Subdirectories are created, nothing new appears, not in that directory or in packfiles\pc\cache. Are they ending up somewhere else? Where do they appear by default?

I trawled the forums before and found things somewhere that seemed similar to this, to do with .net framework being out of date; mine is v4 and I just updated it ten minutes ago before I tried again.

I just want to edit some textures...why did volition make modding so damnably fiddly?

Thanks any and all.

OK, I feel foolish and I have a funny feeling I'm missing something obvious, but I'm at a stage where I just don't know what's going on.

I can't extract anything.

I have the latest version of the tools linked on the first page of this thread (revision 96). I copy and paste, for example, startup.vpp_pc (used to test as it's small) into the directory I keep the tools in (Q:\Steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\GT-R96\_modding utilities). I then drag it onto Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UnpackVPP.exe which causes a dos box to pop up for about a second and then disappear. Nothing appears to happen. I tried the STR2 unpacker with a modded texture (gang_smg_high.str2_pc from the Tacticool Weapons pack) and met with identical failure. No Subdirectories are created, nothing new appears, not in that directory or in packfiles\pc\cache. Are they ending up somewhere else? Where do they appear by default?

I trawled the forums before and found things somewhere that seemed similar to this, to do with .net framework being out of date; mine is v4 and I just updated it ten minutes ago before I tried again.

I just want to edit some textures...why did volition make modding so damnably fiddly?

Thanks any and all.
Are you running the Windows XP?

Yes I am running XP. And that's where they are, perfectly formed and shiny, by the looks of things. Many thanks. Also:

WHAT.

That's massively ridiculous. Not only in a totally different directory, but on a completely different, physically seperate drive. GG Volition. Oh well, at least it works...

EDIT: All right. Got that done. Different problem now.

What I'm trying to do: I have a female player skin and I wanted to give her long black gloves. I used one of the files from the lingerie and stockings mod as a base, and extracted the file from 'Default female diffuse.str2_pc'.

What I've done so far: I extracted textures, edited, wrestled with repacking as cvbm_pc and gvbm_pc files, succeeded (looks like you need to guess the right .dds texture format for your file...DXT1 seemed to work and gave an equivalent-sized file to the one I was editing).

My problem now: I can't work out how repacking these cvbm_pc and gvbm_pc files into an STR2 file works.

I originally got three files, a .cvbm_pc, a gvbm_pc and something called @streams.xml from 'Default female diffuse.str2_pc'. I only edited the first two, and the result of repacking gives you files with identical names so I have left the .xml file as it was.

Dragging and dropping doesn't work - dosbox/disappearance again.
Doing it via command line doesn't work - I think it's because I don't understand the syntax.
I give it:

Gibbed.SaintsRow3.PackSTR2 -v qqqq

where qqqq is the directory with the files to be packed (is this important? I just changed its name for convenience when using the command line - I'm never that sure what to do with dos where paths including spaces are concerned).

I get an error message. I click OK and then in the dos box. it says :
Unhandled Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: could not find a part of the path 'T:\GT-R96\_modding-utilities\qqqq\@streams.xml'.

then it lists a whole load of lines beginning with 'at...', the last two of which refer to D:\ drive, which is my DVD drive...?!

The files ARE there. Since it seems using XP means things end up somewhere funny earlier in the process, will this have any impact?

EDIT 2: would you believe that this seems to be an American English vs. British English thing? CustomiZe in America, CustomiSe in the UK. GRRRRR.

Tried dragging the whole directory - it worked, with renaming. ASM updating didn't. Until I realised I was typing the .bat file without considering that.

Result: it works! Hooray =) Thanks to everyone in this thread.

Back