Saints Row: The Third Saints Row: The Third - Remastered Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, are you saying you want SR5 to look like Agents of Mayhem?
Not really, I would prefer the next Saints Row looks like 2/3/4 in artstyle with higher fidelity. Not cartoony, but still flashy and stylized.
As far as the hair, it is especially noticeable on some npcs, it looks extremely bizarre and disassociated from the strange skin texturing. I didn't necessarily have an issue with the hair in the original because it was cohesive with the overall artstyle, but the incredibly strange remodeling makes it stand out and contrast in an ugly way.

The leaked gameplay you saw was edited. The guy just increased contrast on his console that's why it looked like that.
I'm glad to hear that, although I am still incredibly disappointed how awful the character models look now that I can see them in higher resolution. It feels like the developers killed the games artstyle with no consideration for cohesion or what "realism" actually entails beyond making everyone's skin look ridiculous.

By the way, I'm curious how you and Singa managed to acquire and edit higher resolution videos and gifs originating from them? Was there a specific program you used for both?

Not really, I would prefer the next Saints Row looks like 2/3/4 in artstyle with higher fidelity. Not cartoony, but still flashy and stylized.
As far as the hair, it is especially noticeable on some npcs, it looks extremely bizarre and disassociated from the strange skin texturing. I didn't necessarily have an issue with the hair in the original because it was cohesive with the overall artstyle, but the incredibly strange remodeling makes it stand out and contrast in an ugly way.

3 and 4's artstyles do look too cartoonish. The problem with the remaster, largely, is the rigging and the not-so-well-thought out lack of continuity in their look. Gat's new face doesn't go well with his outfit, but then again, his outfit was stupid to begin with. With better handling and care, they could have done a decent job to bring the models to life, but unfortunately, this isn't a proper remaster, it's more like a half-master done on a small budget for a years old game that's getting made irrelevant once SR5 comes out. Making the characters more realistic guarantees better textures than the really blurry, generic looking models we got in the original games. I think 2 hit the sweetspot, but the overwhelming bloom, lighting and texturing issues in that game prevented the character models from looking as good as they could have been.

Take, for example, Julius. Here is what he looks like from 1 to 2.

latest

He still looks cartoonish, but a bit more defined and has less blurry textures. The transition though, looked more natural. He kinda got redesigned, but if you look closely, you can see his SR2 look still retains defining characteristics of his old SR1 model.

In Saints Row 4, somehow they managed to turn what looked like a decent model into a horribly, low-res design where clearly the person modelling him didn't pay any attention at all to continuity.

latest

I mean what the? If other game developers downgraded their character models from one game to the next, they'd get lambasted to hell, but when Volition does it, it's suddenly ok? How could anyone think the in-game model looks good? It's a screenshot from the game, but it looks the same in-game when you get a good look at his model.

They got rid of so much detail because of the art direction itself. His Jacket doesn't even have a leather texture on it despite it being obviously leather in the first game. Not to mention the milky white eyes.

I wouldn't correlate artstyle with technical fidelity, but I do agree that the stylized form of the second game (irrespective of the games bad/poorly aged models) is a good standard for the series. I think the characters would also look better if they didn't overemphasize skin detailing, as I feel that ironically makes it look more ugly and uncanny. I liked the initial footage of Shaundi's design, but she looks really bad up close, and almost strangely aged. Pierce, Philip, Matt, Cyrus and Kia all look absurdly bad and completely disconnected from their canon designs. I don't like the conflation modern games have with attempts at realism and making characters look unnaturally ugly.

Julius's new model looks terrible, I absolutely agree, I feel it probably got less attention since it's a smaller appearance that isn't present in any cutscenes. I disagree that the artstyle inherently has any impact on technical fidelity. If this was a genuine remaster/remake, the player characters model seems like it would be crucial to improve, since one of the franchises major selling points is its expansive character customization, so I feel the dissonant blend of old and new will make this remaster age worse than the original, similar to how older games with simpler art styles tend to age more gracefully than previous generation titles.

I still think the original Saints Row 3 is the most graphically beautiful open world game ever created by Volition. I know Saints Row 2 has a beautiful looking city, but the rendering technology just doesn't hold up today. The lighting in SR3 -- especially at night -- is really beautiful. Yes, it's mostly light mapped, but its utilization of planar reflections instead of screen space reflections on the wet street at night makes the city come alive! And the lit rain effects, a technology pioneered by Volition, really adds significantly to the realism of a rainy night. Okay -- so the new engine will add a bunch of new technology -- but it really depends on how well it's implemented. I've seen beautiful light mapped games, and also some not-so-beautiful games that use much more advanced technologies. Throwing technology at something doesn't necessarily make it better, and can sometimes kill performance (evidenced by Agents of Mayhem).

I still wish they'd fix the broken traffic splines (or buggy construction spawning) which causes traffic to turn around for no apparent reason. And that really annoying infinitely shifting transmission in all the cars. When I drive down the road, the car just keeps shifting and shifting and shifting forever. It's incredibly annoying. I don't think anyone ever figured out how to make mods to fix those issues.

I really wish there is a discount for those who already own the original with all dlcs when it goes on steam. I bought that some time ago and I wish some kind of thing was made for that or that would suck SO much.

I still wish they'd fix the broken traffic splines (or buggy construction spawning) which causes traffic to turn around for no apparent reason.
So that's a vanilla issue, eh? I always thought it was caused by one of the mods I was using.

Interesting read. Thanks. Although it seems like people at the time didn't realize the extent of the issue.

I don't think developers are seeing this, but whatever
Here are some opinions from a player who don't know any sh*t about SR3.. except playing it.

-No New Content: Okay, SR3 is already big enough, no need for another mission branch (except post game mission or post game scenario)

-No mod support from Volition: Well, Since when did they bother to develop mod support? Hopefully new games in development will have it, but...let's just hope for now

-Improved Lighting, AO, AA, DoF, Blur, Reflection: Splendid! Eye-gasm is always welcome, but do you know what turn off Eye-rection? Lag due to poor optimization and high-spec-hunger performance (remember GTA IV?)
And please for the love of god, stop merging DoF, motion blur, and HDR into Post Processing settings. Some of us got dizzy with motion blur or DoF but don't want to lose the beauty HDR

But, If the main selling point of this remaster is just graphics enhancement and a little bug fix, I doubt it offers different experiences with SR3 except more hard disk space and powerful spec requirements

Please don't Suck, It's sad to see another great game ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back