Have you used Volition's Table File Editor?

Have you used Volition's Table File Editor?

• Yes, and I found it very useful

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, but I prefer editing xtbl files using a text editor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because I didn't know it was available

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • No, because I prefer editing xtbl files using a text editor

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • What's a table file?

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
I'm just curious to ask, how many people here have used or even know about Volition's Table File Editor for editing xtbl files?

Here's an example of what it looks like when editing the Cheats table ("cheats.xtbl"):

cheats_table-png.14747

It's been available to modders for three years, but I wondered how many people here even knew it exists. It has some nice features like validation, drop-down boxes and hover text help.

It's included as part of Kinzie's Toy Box in Volition's GitHub repository here: https://github.com/volition-inc/Kinzies-Toy-Box
Just click the green "Clone or Download" button and select "Download ZIP".

If there's enough demand, I may post a brief tutorial on how to use it.

Attachments

• cheats_table.png
    cheats_table.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 2,842
Last edited:
I'm just curious to ask, how many people here have used or even know about Volition's Table File Editor for editing xtbl files?

Here's an example of what it looks like when editing the Weather table ("weather.xtbl"):

table_file_editor-png.14724
It's been available to modders for three years, but I wondered how many people here even knew it exists. It has some nice features like validation, drop-down boxes and hover text help.

It's included as part of Kinzie's Toy Box in Volition's GitHub repository here: https://github.com/volition-inc/Kinzies-Toy-Box
Just click the green "Clone or Download" button and select "Download ZIP".

If there's enough demand, I may post a brief tutorial on how to use it.
I didn't know one existed.

It's actually a hugely powerful tool that automatically opens all related table files at the same time and ties them all together with convenient drop down select boxes and a very easy to read layout.
I can't open all xtbl files so I prefer Notepad++
To use it reliably you must first unpack all "misc_tables.vpp" files to a single directory and only then use the table editor, because it will automatically attempt to open related table files and it will fail if it can't find them. If you use it like that, it works quite amazingly.

For example, if I open "customization_items.xtbl" with the table file editor, it automatically opens 8 other table files and ties them all together in a layout that's very easy to browse and edit. It's much easier to deal with than trying to manually tie them all together from text files.

Last edited:
Sad thing is I can't open modded xtbl files like located in game directory but I can not modded only.

I voted and I also find the tool useful. Weird though it works with the time_of_day.xtbl file in SR2. Maybe it's some type of bug?
It's probably because the High Dynamic Range Color (HDRColor) data type doesn't exist in Saints Row 2. I suspect this editor was originally made for Saints Row 2. High Dynamic Range Color is likely a feature that was added in the new Saints Row 3+ engine.

Sad thing is I can't open modded xtbl files like located in game directory but I can not modded only.
Can you tell me what the error message is? I have had no problems opening my own modded table files even located in the game directory, as long as all referenced table files are in the same directory. The thing is, in most cases, if you try to open a modded file directly in the game directory, all the referenced files it requires won't be there. That's why I said you need to unpack all of "misc_tables.vpp" into a single directory, then move your modded files into that directory (overwriting the original files), and then you will be able to open them with Table File Editor.

When I say "referenced files", I mean that each table file may have entries that refer to other table files, and those files must exist in the same directory.

If you are still having problems, let me know the error message and I'll try to help. :)

Last edited:
Back