Have you used Volition's Table File Editor?

Have you used Volition's Table File Editor?

• Yes, and I found it very useful

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, but I prefer editing xtbl files using a text editor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because I didn't know it was available

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • No, because I prefer editing xtbl files using a text editor

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • What's a table file?

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Unable to access file "...cheats.xtbl" for the following reason:
Access denied or badly formed XML.
That's odd. I am able to open that table with no problem:

cheats_table-png.14747

Make sure all those files you see listed in the tabs above are in the same directory. Those are the referenced files.
If it's a modded file, there's probably something wrong with the file itself. The Table File Editor does a lot of validation, and it's very strict, so if it finds something wrong it will generate an error.

Last edited:
I used your method: extracted vpp file repleaced my modded xtbls now I have everything in 1 directory and same error
err.png

Other files seem to work great but not cheats

Yes with no problems
Hmmmm. There must be some problem with the modded file. Make sure the table file is encoded as "UTF-8 without BOM". If you're using Notepad++, you can go to the "Encoding" menu and make sure "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM" is selected.

Make sure your EOLs are in Windows format.

Also, if you're using Notepad++, you can check the XML syntax by selecting "Plugins", "XML Tools", "Check XML syntax now". It should display "No errors detected".

Other than those simple checks, I would compare your modded file to the original using WinMerge or some similar diff tool and see if there's something obvious.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. There must be some problem with the modded file. Make sure the table file is encoded as "UTF-8 without BOM". If you're using Notepad++, you can go to the "Encoding" menu and make sure "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM" is selected.
Yes it is but anyway other files work great especially adding new colors. It's so much easier to add new entries :)

I opened cheats.xtbl from Saints Row 2 it looks like this:
Screenshot_3.png

I opened cheats.xtbl from Saints Row 2 it looks like this: ...
Thanks, for the screen shot. That's good to know. It looks like the Table File Editor was probably originally written for Saints Row 2 (or even 1), which is not surprising since the table files are basically in the same format.

Last edited:
Back