SOLVED Can't Repack Textures Simply After Unpacking With SR3 Texture Utilities

I have, in all honesty, racked my brain for hours now and can't for the life of me seem to figure this out. Right now, I'm simply working with interface-backend.cpeg_pc as two different mods I want have this file, one which modifies weapons and one which simply changes the look of the phone (Both mods will be linked at the end).

Naturally, being the practical person I am, I thought "Well, logically these two files are just made up of bits and bytes in different configurations, and one of them is just changing the phone. So, if I can just 'combine' them, so to speak, I should be able to get both working with no conflicts, right"? Well, that's what I thought anyways. And honestly, it seemed to be looking just fine. Literally, up until now, it looked like I was gonna be able to take all the mods I wanted and just combine them into one giant patch. Admittedly in a kinda tedious manner, but still able to do it. But, as seems to be all too common with me and modding, I almost immediately hit a road block, and this time, I have no idea what to do.

So, as the title states, I am unable to repack the textures I have extracted using Scanti's utility. I was able to unpack them just fine, hell I even made a .bat file to let me simply drag and drop the peg files instead of having to use the command line every time. But, no matter what I do, anytime I try to repack the textures, even though I have done nothing to them, I get an error saying it can't read the directory specified (If I specify a directory) or the file I specified (I'll, of course, post screenshots of each error so you can see what I mean). Any ideas? Am I just dumb or does this tool not work?

I Have:
- Tried running the command specifying a new cpeg file without said file actually existing yet. Shot back an error
- Tried running the command specifying a new cpeg file WITH said file existing. Shot back an error
- Tried running the command specifying a new cpeg file WITH said file existing AND in every directory I could think of (Same as the .exe, same as the extracted files, same as the UNPACKING .bat file). Error
- Tried simply specifying the cpeg file I extracted the images from (In ALL of the places specified above). STILL error
- Tried doing all the above with the command prompt running as admin. Nope. Error

Screenshot:
Capture.PNG

TL;DR:
Tried using Scanti's utility as instructed on unmodified (By me) extracted texture files, got the above error, have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Weapon Mod: Phone Mod: Utility I'm Using:

Edit:

Okay, I think I've managed to figure this whole process out. Or at least a workaround to it if simply dragging and dropping doesn't work for you. Instead of using all of Scanti's tools, I simply download the latest version of them and just take the unpacking tool, edit or replace any images I want to edit or replace, and use Flow754's Peg Assembler to just create a new CPEG and GPEG and just edit the names of the two outputted files. That all said...I have not tested said process actually in game yet so...don't quote me on any of this. I'll mark this as solved for now. However, if this method doesn't end up working 'cause the Peg Assembler is located in SR4 tools, I'll...see if I can't figure some other stuff out

Newest Version of Scanti's Tools (Thank you Admixon for providing an exact link): Flow754's Peg Assembler:

Last edited:
Well. If you have cpeg and gpeg files in the same directory as the unpacked textures simply drag and drop the cpeg file to SR3RepackTextures.exe

Well. If you have cpeg and gpeg files in the same directory as the unpacked textures simply drag and drop the cpeg file to SR3RepackTextures.exe
I'm pretty sure the application only works through the command line (It is only a couple hundred kilobytes), but I tried that too. Hell, tried it again just to be sure. Still no dice

I've been using this tool for years and simple drag and drop method worked just fine for both unpacking and repacking the files. Maybe there's a tutorial guide how to unpack and repack the files with a command but I'm not sure (trying to find something like this leads me to drag and drop method only)

I see. Perhaps I somehow downloaded the wrong version? That's honestly the last thing I can think of. That or the latest version is somehow bugged but I dunno. Do you know which version you have, or?

I've been using this tool for years and simple drag and drop method worked just fine for both unpacking and repacking the files. Maybe there's a tutorial guide how to unpack and repack the files with a command but I'm not sure (trying to find something like this leads me to drag and drop method only)
Alright, perhaps something was lost in communication, perhaps I'm just simply not understanding, or whatever, but I have concluded I have no idea what you're talking about. At this point, it doesn't even seem like we're using the same tool, because no matter how I drag and drop that simply does not work, and the ONLY tutorials I can find on this are how to use it in the command line. Maybe you could link wherever you're finding something about dragging and dropping? 'Cause wherever that is, if it exists, I'm missing it

To add to this actually, it is beyond extremely frustrating that simply combining the contents of two .cpeg_pc & .gpeg_pc files from two mods into one is basically impossible at the very least for someone new to modding SR3. It's not even like I'm new to modding games, or even computers. Hell, I've HEX edited before. Very minor and easy in comparison to a lot of things probably but still, I've done it. So it's not like I don't understand the underlying fundamental principles behind what I'm trying to do

Last edited:
Skip to 5:00

I'm using the same tool. Maybe you need the newest version: https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/sr3-texture-utilities.566/page-14#post-42475
Don't get mad, I'm just trying to help
I'm sorry, I'm not mad at you specifically. I'm just generally frustrated after working on this for what feels like forever and getting absolutely nowhere. Even going into this troubleshooting assuming it was a PEBKAC issue, that I was doing something wrong. I genuinely am not trying to direct that at you though and I'm sorry if I came off that way, genuinely

I did find that tool this morning, though...I assumed it was for SR4, not SR3. Or, well, rather, I assumed it wouldn't work for SR3 but I suppose now that I think about it they feel like very similar games in terms of how they run... Just to make sure, I am trying to do this for SR3, not 4. Would such a tool still work though?

I'm sorry that the tool doesn't work for you and I don't know why. Maybe I can just help by simply repacking the files for you?
No no, I think I managed to figure something out. I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this post, though. I appreciate the offer though, genuinely

I never managed to figure out how to repack textures how I wanted to with the tool, however, I did find another tool that effectively worked how I needed it to. I'll probably be updating the main post with my findings sometime this week, in case anyone else is having similar issues unpacking and repacking textures

Back