Saints Row 2 Any chance for better audio quality?

Yeah, that part but that's not the only issue behind the shitty sound and actually mine is in stereo, at least I can hear peds to my left or peds to my right and such but if you mean the music itself yeah I know that, but if you listen to the music closely it's also highly compressed and the audio engine does indeed have issues, I notice that when Men at Work plays on my Yamaha 5.1 setup it drops the bass here and there from the song only but in Stereo it does not.
Yeah, I know. I can hear where a gunshot comes from for example. I don't think you understand what I meant. I looked into the game files and the radio for example is in stereo there. But in the game you can only hear it in mono, even if you can hear where a gunshot comes from. If you know what I mean.

The difference there is mono/stereo vs. 2D/3D. A sound played in 2D will play at a flat game-determined volume out of the front L/R speakers, a sound played in 3D will come from the direction it should come from and at an appropriate volume for the object's distance. Stereo/mono is different, except in the respect that typically only 2D sounds are in stereo since it's a waste of memory to have a stereo sound played in 3D.

I'll have to dig up a copy of SR2 and check this out. I don't know why the radio would be in mono, that sounds like it would have been deliberate decision for some reason.

The difference there is mono/stereo vs. 2D/3D. A sound played in 2D will play at a flat game-determined volume out of the front L/R speakers, a sound played in 3D will come from the direction it should come from and at an appropriate volume for the object's distance. Stereo/mono is different, except in the respect that typically only 2D sounds are in stereo since it's a waste of memory to have a stereo sound played in 3D.
Yes, that's what I meant, but I didn't know how to put it cause English isn't my native language ;)

Last edited:
I'll have to dig up a copy of SR2 and check this out. I don't know why the radio would be in mono, that sounds like it would have been deliberate decision for some reason.

Depending on what kind of sound you guys will have available, maybe you'll be able to hear it later this afternoon when you guys are streaming SR2 on twitch.

Depending on what kind of sound you guys will have available, maybe you'll be able to hear it later this afternoon when you guys are streaming SR2 on twitch.

That will likely be the console version they are streaming and not the PC. The audio is fine on console.

yea.. you're right.. derp.

Yeah, I know. I can hear where a gunshot comes from for example. I don't think you understand what I meant. I looked into the game files and the radio for example is in stereo there. But in the game you can only hear it in mono, even if you can hear where a gunshot comes from. If you know what I mean.
No, I get what you mean, I was just simply saying that I think they purposely made the radio stations and a lot of the audio pretty poor on purpose for size concerns or it got messed up during the port but I don't see why it would be in mono like Ellix said unless it was done purposely. The radio stations are all in mono, it's true and I know that, I was just trying to say that most of it was caused by poor audio quality but the audio engine does seem like it has problems, like how I was mentioning that Men At Work drops the bass here and there in 5.1 but not in Stereo but I think that could have a been a processing error on my Yamaha's end since I didn't have my TOSLink cable hooked up, just standard 3.5mm stereo heaphone line in cable since it'll automatically switch to Dolby Pro Logic II instead of using DTS since it's not supported on anything besides TOSLink and up. Another issue some people had though was that they didn't get Stereo effects like 3D sound unless they switched their audio output to CD Quality and I thought maybe you were referring to that at first but I see you meant just the radio stations.

@IdolNinja: Yeah, back when I played it on Xbox 360 the sound was perfect, never had a problem with it, not sure what CD Projekt did to it.

I've got a list of stuff to get figured out before we can make any promises. There's a lot of feasibility questions to answer... but once we get the core functionality we want to deliver it'll be easy to get the rest. This one's on the list but it's a completely different set of tools to figure out, and we're working now on what is most accessible and current. Once we get an SRTT or SRIV solution we'll likely be able to figure this out.

In short, unfortunately, no real update. I really don't think this one will be a huuuuge hurdle once we get to it, if it's any consolation.

Back