Saints Row 2 Any chance for better audio quality?

If replacing audio files becomes/is possible then getting better engine / break sounds would be nice, hell the community could do that & get it patched into GotR. I feel like I'm playing a 90s Racing game. :p Just so compressed. Until the other audio stuff is figured out.

LOL just get one person to re-record the voices in the cut scenes. XD Maybe IdolNinja could do it. LMAO do the sound effects by voice too. *Pew, pew, pew!* *Vroooooooooooom! Screaaaaaach!* ;)

:D

Look forward to what can be found out / dug up on this. :)

You know what's weird? The radio sound files are in stereo actually, but for some reason the game plays them back in mono... So replacing the files them selfs wouldn't make that much of a difference... There is something wrong with the way the game handles audio. It plays every file in mono but you can still hear where a gunshot comes from for example.

Last edited:
My biggest problem with SR2, being an audiophile my heart breaks a little bit each time Tears for Fears, Men At Work, Europe, The Psychedelic Furs, Run DMC, Culture Club or basically any song from The Mix plays and a few others from Generation X.
If this and the frame rate stuttering/hangs could be fixed, I'd be in Saints heaven.

My biggest problem with SR2, being an audiophile my heart breaks a little bit each time Tears for Fears, Men At Work, Europe, The Psychedelic Furs, Run DMC, Culture Club or basically any song from The Mix plays and a few others from Generation X.
If this and the frame rate stuttering/hangs could be fixed, I'd be in Saints heaven.
Yup, that's just what I think. But I don't really think it's easy to do that as it would require modding of the (sound) engine...

Yup, that's just what I think. But I don't really think it's easy to do that as it would require modding of the (sound) engine...
Nah, CD Projekt just used shitty sound for the PC port. The dev team would have to repack the sound banks with at least medium quality checked in Wwise, assuming it uses Wwise like SRTT does, either way they just have to repack the audio in a higher quality. But since they'd technically be re-releasing it they might have to go through the licenses for the music and such which I think is bullshit on the record label's parts.

Nah, CD Projekt just used shitty sound for the PC port. The dev team would have to repack the sound banks with at least medium quality checked in Wwise, assuming it uses Wwise like SRTT does, either way they just have to repack the audio in a higher quality. But since they'd technically be re-releasing it they might have to go through the licenses for the music and such which I think is bullshit on the record label's parts.
No, the sounds are in stereo in the game files, but they're played back in mono. That's the engine's fault.

Nope, SR2 didn't use Wwise. We'd have to re-learn XACT to do it... plus all the issues Mr. Loanstar noted.

Honestly the best thing I think we can do is dig into Sleem's archives. He's is the only person still in the department that worked on SR2 audio. He and I need to have a modding meeting anyway, I'll add this to the agenda.

Nope, SR2 didn't use Wwise. We'd have to re-learn XACT to do it... plus all the issues Mr. Loanstar noted.

Honestly the best thing I think we can do is dig into Sleem's archives. He's is the only person still in the department that worked on SR2 audio. He and I need to have a modding meeting anyway, I'll add this to the agenda.

Thanks Ellix. This issue is something that's really important to me personally.

No, the sounds are in stereo in the game files, but they're played back in mono. That's the engine's fault.
Yeah, that part but that's not the only issue behind the shitty sound and actually mine is in stereo, at least I can hear peds to my left or peds to my right and such but if you mean the music itself yeah I know that, but if you listen to the music closely it's also highly compressed and the audio engine does indeed have issues, I notice that when Men at Work plays on my Yamaha 5.1 setup it drops the bass here and there from the song only but in Stereo it does not. Also, I didn't mean to sound like an ass in my main post, I actually forgot to cut in the piece where I said it's also caused by shitty sound which I feel is the worst part, not just the engine, sorry, I was being kind of asinine and forgot to edit my post. Yeah, I keep forgetting that XACT is actually an audio engine and not just a codec/packager, whoops.

How hard would it be to work the Wwise pipeline into the game instead of XACT? I have no idea what the file layout is like of the audio files or how radio stations are handled, if it's even similar to SRTT or not so I have no idea if it's just a simple cross in with an implemented DLL or fully coded in next to the game engine. I remember when Garry was considering moving to Bullet Physics for GMod instead of the built in old ass version of Havok and it wasn't really difficult to get it up and running without tearing down the .exe or source files, it just replaced the Havok/VPhysics DLL's and offered about 50% better handling and execution of physical objects taking a huge load off the CPU and engine.

Thanks Ellix. This issue is something that's really important to me personally.

I completely agree, my biggest issue with the port.

Back