Saints Row 2 Any chance for better audio quality?

Saints Row 2 on PC has had most of it's roughness ironed out.

Now with the upcoming SDK that will unlock so much more of this epic game. Even more so than the already excellent Gentlemen of the Row & epic modding community. Thanks to you dudes too. ;)

On aspect that that really hurts this awesome game is the audio quality. The game looks good but it sounds like the audio was recorded back in the late 90s. It's really compressed.

It makes me feel like I am playing an older game that looks pretty good.

Could the original recordings be released to the modding community so that they can patch it in the game so the audio can finally match the visuals?

Agreed. The sound quality in Saints Row 2 PC is absolutely terrible. Much of the dialogue and music sounds like it was recorded in a wind tunnel. The most obvious example of this are the activity cutscenes. I'm not sure what happened with the CD Projekt port, but the audio for the console versions of SR2 sounds perfect.

If Volition could get us the original files, and the file format information for SR2 audio, I would love to put together a HQ audio mod for it.

I had a quick (+/-20s) chat with Knobby about this. Seems like we could probably just generate new soundbanks directly from the source audio and somehow make them available. We'll investigate our options - There's legal and technical angles to consider... and we also have to actually find the source content.

Also I don't think there's a lot of people still at the studio that have experience generating soundbanks from a pre-Wwise era project. We'll see.

I had a quick (+/-20s) chat with Knobby about this. Seems like we could probably just generate new soundbanks directly from the source audio and somehow make them available. We'll investigate our options - There's legal and technical angles to consider... and we also have to actually find the source content.

Also I don't think there's a lot of people still at the studio that have experience generating soundbanks from a pre-Wwise era project. We'll see.

Thanks for looking into it. I hope we can find some way to make it work. :)

Yeah, I believe so. But I think there's something weird about the audio banks you produced because none of the MS tools will load them properly.
Probably more arcane undocumented voodoo bullshit CDPB did where they converted all the audio banks to big endian instead or something...

Well, XACT is set up weird anyway. I'd never go back willingly.

In theory though, the way it's set up, there's two sets of banks (if I'm remembering all this correctly): The sound banks and the wave banks. The former is all the structure and setup, the wave banks are just basically packfiles full of raw sounds. In theory one could just update the wave bank and the sound bank should still read it the same.

This is all just theory though. I haven't touched XACT since 2008 and I'm not even sure if I could tell left from right if I opened it up again today.

Back