Custom Radio Stations Guide

I can tell you with absolute certainty that neither WWIII nor Apocalyptic Chaos are used in any mission.

Just a quick note that I finished up replacing the Mixx with the old SR2 80s songs and it worked like a charm. Thanks Toad King for figuring all this out and putting together the instructions. I had the biggest grin on my face blowing shit up on my hoverbike while listening to Down Under. :D

Toad King, could you provide a little more information on the extraction process in step 1 or perhaps an image? I am brand new to this scene and have no idea how Gibbed's Tools work. I'm not sure what Gibbed file I'm supposed to be using and I get a command prompt for each one that quickly closes after I open it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

To anyone having troubles, I've found that "packed_codebooks.bin" needs to be in your working folders for the "bnk_pc_extractor" and "bnk_pc_packer" to work. I had that problem, and I figured others might as well.

To anyone having troubles, I've found that "packed_codebooks.bin" needs to be in your working folders for the "bnk_pc_extractor" and "bnk_pc_packer" to work. I had that problem, and I figured others might as well.
This is not true. Only ww2ogg needs that file.

After spending about three or so hours converting Kabron to a 24/7 Kool Keith station, I started up the game and realized that pretty much all of the songs I had added were far too quiet. I had to rely entirely upon IdolNinja's song listing because I couldn't figure out how to convert the game cache's .wavs to a listenable format, so I'm guessing this is going to be harder than just popping the converted files into GoldWave or Audacity. I know I can crack the station open with the .bnk_pc extractor to get at them, but is there an easier way to edit the files after that, or would I pretty much have to go through the process of converting them again in WWise? (I'm guessing the latter.)

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you, Gibbed and IdolNinja for your efforts in making this game even better. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification about the conversion tools; I'll have to try them out again when I get home.

EDIT: For posterity, the .wav files had to be in the same folder as the SR3 Audio Tools for riffwave2ogg to work properly.

Use the riffwave2ogg.bat then revorb_all.bat included with the tools. That will convert all the existing wave files you extracted from the game into a listenable format.

The thing I did to get levels right was to first to apply a normalize effect to all the new tracks in audacity. Normalize peaks out the volume of the track without clipping. Then I would open a few of the converted ogg files from the existing radio stations and compare the levels, listening back and forth between the existing tracks and my new ones. Some of the new normalized tracks were still a little bit too quiet so I also applied a slight amplify effect to those as well. Any minor clipping is a non-issue when you take into account the game world background noises like engines that also play, as well as the compression from wwise.

EDIT: Disregard that, reading failure :p

Anyway, the ww2ogg and revorb tools can be used to convert SR3's audio files to usable ogg files. And yes, they have to be loud. Use something like Audacity or GoldWave to fix up the files before converting them using Wwise.

Hi guys, for starters I'd just like to thank Toad King, IdolNinja and Gibbed for all the groundwork in making this stuff possible in Saints Row the Third. You guys rock! I decided to replace the Krhyme station as pretty much all that music but Kanye's Power didn't really fit my tastes. I honestly didn't think it would work with all the comments from people saying they couldn't get it to work but I guess I underestimated my own ability at following directions :p Let's just say I felt like a kid in a candy store with ear to ear grin hearing my music in game and now I plan on replacing more stations.

Chadwardenn, maybe I can help you out as I was a bit reluctant with the whole starting process of this also. I learned the hard way you need Net Framework Tools 4.0 for Gibbed's tools to work. It's probably some unspoken requirement, but I didn't figure it out until I tried unpacking and it gave me error messages (Toad, maybe you should include that in the guide on the first page for anyone just starting out with this stuff) From that point, I just took the vpp files I needed and threw them in with Gibbed's tools folder. You don't even need to do command line, just take the vpp file and drag and drop on the unpack vpp executable and you should be set. If you did it right, it will create a subfolder with the vpp's file name within that folder. After that just follow Toad's instructions and you'll be golden.

I'd have to say the thing that was the most challenging for me was converting minutes AND seconds to milliseconds so that all the tracks would play out in their entirety. I'm not math inclined but I still had to add them together with a calculator after getting the initial values. I couldn't find a good online conversion tool for that. Although it did get easier as I started to do more and the songs were around the same lengths.

Is there any hope for a bulk import replacement process or creating new stations entirely?

I'd have to say the thing that was the most challenging for me was converting minutes AND seconds to milliseconds so that all the tracks would play out in their entirety. I'm not math inclined but I still had to add them together with a calculator after getting the initial values. I couldn't find a good online conversion tool for that. Although it did get easier as I started to do more and the songs were around the same lengths.

All you need to do for milliseconds is look at your imported track in wwise. For example, in this pic your milliseconds to change in the xtbl for this track would be: 510144

ZlP4Y.jpg

Back