The Price of Freedom: Hands on with Saints Row IV

Exactly. more like 2 human handguns and an alien one. Both human handguns with their own unique skin set. There is a huge amount of variety.

Thanks! I just want to make sure we have a good amount of choice. I'm hoping for a minimum of 3 guns per category. There's always basically the fast and accurate, loud and powerful, and then the special gun for each category. If you get what I'm saying about Krukovs and Shepards.

While I'm not holding out on this because of the plot, I'm betting the STAG weaponry will be gone in SR4. However because they've stated you can import your character, I can only assume ALL customization items including the unlockables and DLC ones will be in SR4 by default. So that means the STAG armor will still be available at least. So many possibilities of where the plot can really go.

Not all customization items are returning. What that means to you, I don't know. Volition has said that if the old item doesn't exist then your imported character will just wear generic default clothes instead.

My thought is the simple fact that customizable weapon skins + modding help + mesh tools = literally infinite possibilities. If you so want a flamethrower that looks like a supersoaker, but they don't have it included with the game.. we'll be able to do that, add it in, and add it as a new mesh, not just replace the main file. That way if you decide "Nah, tired of this one, I want it to look like a fire flower from Mario" then you can do that too, without having to change about mod files. :)

This is a really valid thing, it also makes me hope that since the format is the same, hopefully we can port over all the clothes and weapons from Saints Row 3... Within reason of course, I hate to make anything come off illegally.

one of the first mods I'd expect to see is the ability to use any weapon skin over any weapon, so in addition to using, say the supersoaker on an automatic rifle instead of a burst rifle, you can use it on the rocket launcher

Player character voices:
Laura Bailey – Female Voice 1 (Caucasian)
Troy Baker – Male Voice 1 (Caucasian)
Robin Atkin Downes – Male Voice 2 (Cockney)
Kenn Michaels – Male Voice 3 (African American)
Special voice – (I can’t talk about but it’s AWESOME)

Tara Platt has confirmed via twitter that she will not be returning as the Russian female voice. There are some huge surprises in store with the rest of the voice cast.

So, is Rebecca Sanabria's status as the protagonist's voice actress unclear for now? It would be a shame for her not to be returning since she's been around since Saints Row 2. This isn't a question, really, just a concern.

I wonder what the special voice is... I thought the zombie voice in SR:TT was a fun feature. I never used it myself.

Well the canceled voice from The Third was an autotuned voice, so one can only assume it might be that right? Unless they somehow got Peter Cullen to record all of the dialogue in the voice of Optimus Prim. I would pay for that DLC... "New Saints Voice DLC: Optimus Voice You Must"

Finally got a chance to read this, it alleviated some of my concerns for the game and added a few more on top of that....I also hated the lack of day/night cycles from 3 because I have bad eyes and can't see so well when it's dark. Plus sunny weather is nice!

Glad to see my voice actor is back. I always use the African American VA ever since the first game.

Nice to see how superpowers work too. Was a little down when you mentioned that there were only 8 real powers, but after you mentioned the customization options for super powers I was way way up. Good stuff! Also loving the amount of weapon skins, I figured that there wouldn't be that many but I am glad to be proven wrong.

Everything else is freakin' great too. I am anxious to get my 50 bucks saved up so I can secure my Steam preorder...especially with the modding. I hope that it's more like....Skyrim modding, rather than GTA modding, where you can add actual new content rather than replace assets. If it is, then we have the best open world game right here! It's only a damn shame that this is supposed to be the last Saint's game, I was hoping to see what Volition could do with next-gen... (Would be nice to have 4 player co-op but as they said, not enough memory on the older consoles.) Maybe they'll do a Saint's Row 5 but with an entirely new story. Iunno, but I guess I shouldn't hype myself up for that when 4 isn't even out yet =P

Will ammunition type be selectable?

Say you want to switch armor piercing for explosive in the SMG. Will that be possible or is it similar to SRTT as that weapon's set upgrade has just one type of round at the top tier (IE gang pistol had explosive, and police pistol had armor piercing).

Oh I went ahead and preordered it finally ($44.99 after SRTT ownership discount).

Back