The Price of Freedom: Hands on with Saints Row IV

What about choosing sex and clothes of Protagonist? Is there the first option and how the second is researched?

Yes, character creation and customization works exactly the same as SRTT, including sex. IAD still exists for plastic surgery. You have access to your wardrobe from any clothing store.

Nice write up on this! From the bad news list, I mainly wish day and night cycles were making a return, but with the modding support, maybe it'll be fully possible with mods at some point. Also wish we could toggle upgrades, but once again, mods.

The good features outweigh the bad from the sound of it though, imo. From the good news, it's such a small feature, but I'm glad we can import our character from SRTT, and most the VA's are returning too. The weapon skins/costumes are something I never thought of, but I love the idea now. (Especially the Super Soaker haha) And of course mod support, still flipping over that.

Only other thing I'm wondering about is the DLC issue. I got the SRTT Franchise pack on Steam, and bought the remaining couple DLC on sale, (I'm a completionist, OCD or something I guess.) but I hope SRIV won't have that much, well, content wise maybe but I hope it's more bang for your buck. Hopefully Deep Silver is more in line with that than THQ was.

I am still on the fence iv read this review, it is just my personal opinion the game to me too looked like saints row 3 dlc, but after reading his review i can see they have expanded on things iv wanted but then again disappointing in some of the things are the same from the last game this is why im weary of buying games that release every year over games that spend more then 4 - 5 years in development you know there will be big changes, i know teams probably shift and they say they have been working on it longer but i don't believe it always. I also kind of expect a game this day and age to have a 24/hour time an weather cycle i thought the same about grid 2 not having an in car view and no rain effects when codemasters f1 game has the best rain i have seen in a game.

My main reason for being on the fence about it is actually the super powers yeah i know probably think im crazy but i like realistic style games, i know saints row isn't really realistic hasn't been but with sr3 i can still treat the world like its realistic with how i play ad super powers an all that its just not something i prefer in open world games with cars, guns gangs etc. All im really trying to say is im not a fan of super powers or dubstep lol. In games i like it in movies but i duno i guess im just too into realistic stylized games now.
I kinda really just wanted a new city lots of new clothes, lots of tattoos, lots of car customization gun customization like you have mentioned more character customization, like i think the transition from 2 to 3 some how lost clothing stores i would of liked to see more verity then just 3 shops in sr3.

Although i will probably pick up sr4 because sr always has the funny jokes an stuff and it has keith david (we had a emotional ride many hours from mass effect 1 2 an 3 an now hes fighting aliens again hard life) i will be holding out on my purchase till i see more about it during launch while i still think it will be a good an funny game the whole super power king of the world thing doesnt work for me in some weird way for these type of open world crime games. Its a really big change.
Who knows i will probably play it an love it.

Hell yeah, I was waiting for this article.

I'm still very curious about something though. They said there would be other areas available to explore aside from virtual Steelport, I want to know if you can actually drop in and out of them or are they just one-shot linear areas like in the deckers.die mission? Can you drop out of the simulation at your own leisure like in Assassin's Creed?

Hell yeah, I was waiting for this article.

I'm still very curious about something though. They said there would be other areas available to explore aside from virtual Steelport, I want to know if you can actually drop in and out of them or are they just one-shot linear areas like in the deckers.die mission? Can you drop out of the simulation at your own leisure like in Assassin's Creed?

There are no other open world areas to explore. There's just virtual Steelport. The other areas are mission based, like deckers.die from SRTT. One of the things I really tried to stress to the Volition guys while I was there was the importance of being able to revisit those other areas and simulations post-game so you have more places to explore and mess around in. Of all the input I gave I really tried to hammer that particular idea home.

So will there be more DLC like SRTT?
And regarding the Mosiac and Blackbar, so it's Still Mosiac ingame, and Black Bar during movie, is it interchangble or able to set only black bar?
And what about Gang Custimization?
And any new unique outfits?

Hmm. Well, it does come down to what I expected, I guess.. that since it's SR3 engine a lot of the stuff we REALLY wanted just can't happen (like dynamic times of day, although I wonder if they end up fixing the weird bug with some times disabling spawning, so we could mod it back in). I'm glad of some stuff like them knowing and understanding what fans did and mods did, and adding some of that into core game.. and more than that they're returning some of the tone back to the wonderful mix of SR2. If they recapture some of that feel they'll have a hell of a success on their hands.

Really, the whole thing sounds like they stopped, listened to the community, debated stuff internally, and said "How do we fix the things we may have done wrong, and make the stuff we didn't better?" The even better thing is unlike some companies out there they then said "You know what? Let's get the fans HYPED about this. Not just with marketing blitz, but actually get them involved in this so they can feel invested and get into the game as much as we have."

Well, I can't say they've turned around or something because they were a pretty great company to begin with, but now they've just gone from that to awesome in my books. Amazing what a little sharing and good will does. :D

So will there be more DLC like SRTT?
And regarding the Mosiac and Blackbar, so it's Still Mosiac ingame, and Black Bar during movie, is it interchangble or able to set only black bar?
And what about Gang Custimization?
And any new unique outfits?

I can't talk about the dlc, but I do know a couple of things that are coming and I'm excited.

I didn't do anything with gang customization at all, so I can't answer that one.

It was mosaic in gameplay and black censor bar in cutscenes from what I saw.

Like I mentioned in the article, every time I tried to do anything with clothes it crashed the game. It's the one big mystery to me.

DLC answered here: http://www.destructoid.com/saints-row-iv-will-have-a-very-robust-dlc-plan--249353.phtml

I hope its not like the 3rd though(What was it like 10 dlcs on disc, I know because my pirate friends had many of the DLCs from the start). Hey I read through your write up here, reread the modding part a couple times, did you get the feel IdolNinja that it will be an actual toolset like Bethesda games have? Because if it is I will pre-order because if history taught us anything Mods > DLCs.

Back