Steam Summer Sale!

True dat, GFWL one big piece of crap.

When I bought F.E.A.R 2 as retail that was steam but the 1st F.E.A.R that came with it was not so I was wondering if I got hold of Steam themselves do you reckon they will give it to me as a Steam version? Probably not!

I have never heard of a single instance of anyone successfully doing that.

Sorry, while you can link games through steam, and I THINK it'll then say "Oh such and such is playing game x" if you use that link, it doesn't properly integrate other games. You also can't just use the cd key given for any old game to install it on Steam. The only ones it works for are actual steamworks games.. so if you buy retail Saints Row 3, the cd key can be plugged straight in. Same for Skyrim, or Half Life 2, or what. However, if you have a retail-bought copy of Saints Row 2, even though the game is on Steam, you'd have to buy a new copy to have a Steam version.

Sorry. Steam is a publishing system, it'd be counter-intuitive to just let you 'buy' copies bought elsewhere when valve won't get a cut (I assume they do on box retail copies of steamworks games)

And yes, I hate GFWL.. I also hate securom and safedisc and such also. Thus a game like say GTA4 would be frustrating, since you have steamworks, then GFWL, then safedisc, all loaded up in tiers. At that point we're reaching the "far better to buy a copy and just download a pirated version without copy-protection" point. At least something like SR3 only has steamworks and that's it.. and unlike say Assassin's Creed 2 it won't kick you out of the game if you want to play offline mode. :mad:

I know there are some games that you can enter the serial number and it will link it to Steam.

Prey was one game that I did that on.

Just bought Crysis 2 this morning as it was down to $12 on a flash sale.

Aww. Of all of those games that are listed, the only one I own is Bioshock, and my CD key is the wrong type.

Well, ok, I ALSO have other games, like New Vegas and Skyrim and such, but those are explicitly Steamworks copies that need it anyways.

I did like one line at the end..
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
(emphasis mine)

My actual boxed separate copy of Opposing Force begs to differ, Valve. Explains why it didn't work though, Valve forgot it exists. Also interesting, any standalone copies of Blue Shift? They do work.. but according to steam they're Half Life Platinum Edition keys, giving all the games including Blue Shift and others. Steam in a nutshell.

(I also now hate the sale. Almost every game on my wishlist has now shown up at least once in a flash sale or daily sale... and having had to get a new computer and already spent $60 on a dozen games, I'm tapped out. And they just keep coming!)

I have Half-Life Generations which came with Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force and Counterstrike might see if Steam excepts those keys later. -Which surprise surprise, Did not work!

Also do you reckon Valve give you a discount if you already own them and they are part of a package? My bet is no!
I got my HL, BS, OF and CS through activating my Half-Life Generations box - but I did this a long time ago when CS:CZ was new :)

Back