Steam Integration

Well. Just to pile on, as that is what chimps like to do...

I'm not partial to the idea of 'forcing' use of Steam linkage either.
It rankles my libertarian-conservative feathers in a uncomfortable way.

My first instinct, when seeing a board for the first time, that was set up in such a way, would be to not use it.
I'm sure there are many that have the same instincts, and that would not be productive to chase potential users away.

I only Steam linked here recently just to see what would blow up. Was fine for months without the 'feature'.

I think it's too much, it will looks like a dictatorship this way: the net is freedom.

I don't much care for the idea, don't much like big brother tactics.
Because pirates and their patrons exist that means we are all suspect?
I believe in innocent until proven guilty not guilty until proven innocent.

I'm not partial to the idea of 'forcing' use of Steam linkage either.
It rankles my libertarian-conservative feathers in a uncomfortable way.

Isn't Minimaul just trying to save himself and IdolNinja some time? Seems to me that
- any connection to copyright infringement whatsoever is a potential legal problem so they have to ban every confirmed pirate anyway which must get tedious
- most (all?) of these mods are useless if you've got a pirated version of SRTT, because as far as I've seen every user who's turned out to have an illegal copy registered just to ask "why doesn't it work?"
- you don't have to register to simply view these forums or download the mods (because the only problem that causes is bandwidth usage - which Idol doesn't seem concerned about)

In other words, there's no point registering unless you have a legal copy of the PC version of SR2 or SRTT because there's really nothing you could contribute here - and continuing to allow people to do so just leaves Minimaul and Idol open to legal issues. I mean, I get what you guys are saying and for most communities it'd be a pretty heavy-handed step (especially if there was no unregistered downloading/viewing) but it makes sense in this situation. They're covering their butts and saving effort, it's not the Third Reich.

For general game discussion you can go to any of the uh... alright, 2 other good SR forums on the net :)

That's totally where we're coming from. We keep getting these morons who get banned and are registering with new alts. It's really a pain in the ass to keep on top of and it would save us a ton of time if we forced steam integration and owning the game. I honestly didn't expect there would be this outpouring of hate against the idea though.

That's totally where we're coming from. We keep getting these morons who get banned and are registering with new alts. It's really a pain in the ass to keep on top of and it would save us a ton of time if we forced steam integration and owning the game. I honestly didn't expect there would be this outpouring of hate against the idea though.

Only if the persons who decide not to are condoning piracy and not supporting THQ and Volition!

If we don't do this and support those said companies we will never get SR4 or any other Red Faction Games!

I don't bloody like steam or coop or multiplayer or chat or pirates, i've had a steam store profile since 2008 and every mention of steam annoys me.
I'm a grumpy old man that doesn't take kindly to background processes so most of the time i play offline still i've got 20,000 kb being used unnecessarily.

I've been forced to become a member of steam in order to play the games i want to play and i'm not happy about that so any hate you might perceive
emanating from me is for steam.

Only if the persons who decide not to are condoning piracy and not supporting THQ and Volition!
A rather divisive comment that points fingers instead of lending anything of worth to the discussion.

Again push comes to shove.....

Isn't Minimaul just trying to save himself and IdolNinja some time? Seems to me that
- any connection to copyright infringement whatsoever is a potential legal problem so they have to ban every confirmed pirate anyway which must get tedious
- most (all?) of these mods are useless if you've got a pirated version of SRTT, because as far as I've seen every user who's turned out to have an illegal copy registered just to ask "why doesn't it work?"
- you don't have to register to simply view these forums or download the mods (because the only problem that causes is bandwidth usage - which Idol doesn't seem concerned about)

In other words, there's no point registering unless you have a legal copy of the PC version of SR2 or SRTT because there's really nothing you could contribute here - and continuing to allow people to do so just leaves Minimaul and Idol open to legal issues. I mean, I get what you guys are saying and for most communities it'd be a pretty heavy-handed step (especially if there was no unregistered downloading/viewing) but it makes sense in this situation. They're covering their butts and saving effort, it's not the Third Reich.

For general game discussion you can go to any of the uh... alright, 2 other good SR forums on the net :)
Why does everyone think Idol's hosting this? ;) I am!

This is basically why though.

Edit: there are other forums? I count the official ones, what's the other?

I don't bloody like steam or coop or multiplayer or chat or pirates, i've had a steam store profile since 2008 and every mention of steam annoys me.
I'm a grumpy old man that doesn't take kindly to background processes so most of the time i play offline still i've got 20,000 kb being used unnecessarily.

I've been forced to become a member of steam in order to play the games i want to play and i'm not happy about that so any hate you might perceive

A rather divisive comment that points fingers instead of lending anything of worth to the discussion.

Again push comes to shove.....
Me too. Also, there aren't so many pirates here and they are also so... not-so-intelligent to admit it eheheh
But i understand the "saving time thing" for the moderators: in this case you can also choose someone to aid you as moderators.

Why does everyone think Idol's hosting this? ;) I am!
Right there in your sig. In bold. Hurrr.

Edit: there are other forums? I count the official ones, what's the other?
The 3rd Street Skyrims: Elder Saints The Fifth subforum on Something Awful has been okay.

Yeah, my opinion of Steam swings between "a pretty inoffensive way of handling digital rights" and "a right pain in the arse". The latter especially when it's doing the iTunes trick of being slow and unresponsive on a system that I spent far too much money on for this to be happening what the christ. If it helps at all, I'm sure it'd be a once-off thing; once it's done, you won't need the Steam process running just to post here.

Right there in your sig. In bold. Hurrr.

The 3rd Street Skyrims: Elder Saints The Fifth subforum on Something Awful has been okay.

Yeah, my opinion of Steam swings between "a pretty inoffensive way of handling digital rights" and "a right pain in the arse". The latter especially when it's doing the iTunes trick of being slow and unresponsive on a system that I spent far too much money on for this to be happening what the christ. If it helps at all, I'm sure it'd be a once-off thing; once it's done, you won't need the Steam process running just to post here.
You wouldn't need steam running anyway, you'd just need to link your forum account with your steam account so it can verify you own the game. You'd be able to set your profile back to private afterwards, and we don't gain any control over your steam account this way - all we can do is see information that's basically already public.

Back