SR4 Character Mesh Viewer

can you give a link to MV 1.4?

The texture loading is not ready and that is why I didn't post 1.4 yet. But if you are just looking for the other improvements (model compatibility, no mirroring, and fixed export to OBJ) then I could do some cleanup and have it ready in a day or two (minus textures).

Will the UV maps still exist?

The code will still be in the source and the UV info will still be loaded with the mesh model. I just won't try to put a texture on the model in 1.4, not until I do some more reading about OpenGL/SharpGL.

Version 1.4 is now released. The program and the source have been added to the first post.
  • Changed the GUI (totally ripped off the SharpGL scene sample). Switched the main display from an OpenGL control to a SceneView.
  • Solved the issue with Wavefront OBJ files. No longer need to split.
  • Solved the issue with left-to-right mirroring of the models.
  • Increased model compatibility. More models will now display in the viewer but still a few more format variations out there that need to be added.

I can wait =)
although I was interested to look at intermediate version
maybe I can work with what is done
Of course, if it will not be difficult for you

@Vladman3k - it could be used to make a new skin but it would require someone with time and patience to make it work.

@Macropaggus - yes, that is the idea. People could start using this and export models to Blender to begin making mods. But you would have to wait for the official SDK before you could take those mods and put them into the game. This at least gives people a head start and something to do while waiting for the SDK to be released.

Version 1.5 is now released. The program and the source have been added to the first post.
  • Changed back to the OpenGLControl to support displaying textures
  • GUI now uses Docking Panels for various controls.
  • Docking Panel state is persisted between sessions.
  • Property panel is for display only. Changing values does not update model.
  • Head mesh is now pulled in with the Body mesh (or vice versa).
  • Some textures are loaded with the model (this needs more work).

Not quite the update I was hoping for but textures seem to be a bigger can of worms than I expected. As you can see from the Main screen with the crate I can load two different textures onto a single model. The problem is programmatically determining what texture you should be loading. I can see the naming convention they tried to use for textures but then the exceptions start coming in. And they did the right thing of re-using resources but that causes more exceptions. So until I can find an all inclusive set of rules for figuring out the texture name for a draw call I'm stuck with partial loading. The textures it couldn't find are replaced with the generic grey speckled texture in the screenshots.

Back