SR4 Character Mesh Viewer

Step 1: Unpack characters.vpp_pc.
Your choice of SR3 or SR4. Use the appropriate tool to unpack the VPP_PC file. It will create a directory full of files with STR2_PC as the extension.
  • For SR3 use Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UnpackVPP.exe to unpack characters.vpp_pc
  • For SR4 use ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe to unpack characters.vpp_pc

Step 2: Unpack character model from STR2_PC file.
Use the appropriate tool (for SR3 or SR4) to unpack the STR2_PC file you want to look at. This will create a directory with various files. Make note of this directory (you will need it in the next step). One of the files in this directory should have an extension of CCMESH_PC (this is the type of file the MV program is looking for).
  • For SR3 use Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UnpackSTR2.exe to unpack any STR2_PC file
  • For SR4 use ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe to unpack any STR2_PC file
Step 3: Open CCMESH file with MV.
Start MV. Click the 'Open' button. Navigate to the directory where the CCMESH_PC file is located (the one from step 2).
WARNING:
STR2_PC archives ending with "_high.str2_pc" do not contain CCMESH_PC files.

@Killbane31: I hope this helps you with your problem.
Look don't misunderstand me, Im new in these things. Wich appropriate tool IS that to unpack the VPP_PC file.....

Version 1.2 is now released. The program and the source have been added to the first post.
  • I have identified an issue where some models include a padding of zeros between the second header and mesh info (these are the files that load) and other files lack the padding (the ones that don't load). I will be looking for a way to handle this to increase compatibility with models.
  • Then I would like to start loading textures onto the model.
Oh, and I owe a BIG thank you to Sir Kane. The data structures in his 3ds importer were very helpful in figuring out the CCMESH file format.

sorry where is the CCMESH_PC files? thanks

Go back to the first post. Underneath the picture you will find a "Requirements" section with links to the unpacking tools you will need in case you don't have them already. Then after that section is a "Usage" section that has three steps you need to follow to get the CCMESH_PC files.

Version 1.2 is now released. The program and the source have been added to the first post.
  • I have identified an issue where some models include a padding of zeros between the second header and mesh info (these are the files that load) and other files lack the padding (the ones that don't load). I will be looking for a way to handle this to increase compatibility with models.
  • Then I would like to start loading textures onto the model.
Oh, and I owe a BIG thank you to Sir Kane. The data structures in his 3ds importer were very helpful in figuring out the CCMESH file format.
With regard to the padding - usually in SR data files it's to hit a particular alignment - i.e. to hit a 16-byte boundary etc. That can be why it's missing in some files (as they manage to be aligned anyway).

Version 1.3 is now released. The program and the source have been added to the first post.
  • Increased model compatibility (thanks to Minimaul's tip)
  • Added the ability to export to Wavefront Obj (which is easy to import into Blender)
I worked on this because I ran into a road block on the GCMESH file format. So far I haven't been able to figure out the remainder of the Vertex Data other than the X, Y, and Z. I know texture coordinates are lurking in there but I haven't been able to coax them out.

If I remember correctly the UV co-ords are 2 shorts (16 bit integers) in the range of 0-4096. Also some models can have 2 sets of UV co-ords.

Back