Something to keep you busy until the SDK can be released...

I've been using the sr2 cvtf crunch tool to add "Gang_Saints" variants to each of the extra GotR gang customization vehicles. I thought an example environment with the modded tables, the batch file, and the tool itself would be helpful to other modders trying to make sense of how it works. Simply run the batch file and it will create new cvtf files based on the vehicle xtbl files in ..\tables\. The new variants I added were simply copied and pasted from another variant in the table, and then a bunch of parameters changed like the weight, color, decal entry removal, etc.
Do I do the same for editing NPCs?

I know this is necro, but vpkg now supports writing an asm out to a xtbl file and building asm files from xtbl files. This should allow for merging or tweaking values pretty easily.
I know it's been a while since this feature has been out, but, assuming it's for the SRIV vpkg, are ASMs built from xtbl files supposed to be 16MB? And what is the command to write ASM out to xtbl?

I know it's been a while since this feature has been out, but, assuming it's for the SRIV vpkg, are ASMs built from xtbl files supposed to be 16MB? And what is the command to write ASM out to xtbl?
Depending on the asm, it is very possible. We didn't go with xml for the format for a reason. :) Conversion to xml is done via -extract_asm and xml to asm is done via -build_asm. So something like:

Code:
vpkg_wd -extract_asm asm_filename.asm_pc
edit xml
vpk_wd -build_asm asm_filename.asm_pc

Depending on the asm, it is very possible. We didn't go with xml for the format for a reason. :) Conversion to xml is done via -extract_asm and xml to asm is done via -build_asm. So something like:

Code:
vpkg_wd -extract_asm asm_filename.asm_pc
edit xml
vpk_wd -build_asm asm_filename.asm_pc
I've went with that in the past. But since you mentioned that vpkg started supporting writing from and to xtbl, I wanted to give it a try. The asm size confused me. :)

Though editing the xml of existing containers went less than succesful (even though I had the amount of bits in e.g. cpu load of the container correct), I haven't tried adding containers yet.

But then again even with Stream2Update from Minimaul's tools, editing for example components and variants wasn't succesful.
That while Stream2Update is an exe where you can't go wrong with regarding updating assemblers after editing streaming containers.

I've went with that in the past. But since you mentioned that vpkg started supporting writing from and to xtbl, I wanted to give it a try. The asm size confused me. :)

Though editing the xml of existing containers went less than succesful (even though I had the amount of bits in e.g. cpu load of the container correct), I haven't tried adding containers yet.

But then again even with Stream2Update from Minimaul's tools, editing for example components and variants wasn't succesful.
That while Stream2Update is an exe where you can't go wrong with regarding updating assemblers after editing streaming containers.
Yes, lots of the community tools are simply amazing. It's really amazing what you guys are able to do with the game. Some of the external tools are better and easier than our internal ones. We don't really mess with packfiles often though and never extract, edit, and repackage like you guys do though. It's neat to look at how things are done on the other side of the fence!

The things that you guys make are a big reason that we're working on this steam workshop support. More people need to see all the great things that you guys have created.

If you're getting stuck with vpkg, you can also try something like this:

Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2.exe customize_item.asm_pc toxml
Which will create a customize_item.xml in the same directory as customize_item.asm_pc.

To convert back, do:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2.exe customize_item.xml toasm

I've used this for all kinds of ASM manipulation and not run into any bugs yet.

You don't have to worry about getting your CPU Size and GPU Size correct - once you've converted back to an asm_pc file you can use the same tool to update them automatically:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2.exe customize_item.asm_pc update

Last edited by a moderator:
We know that waiting for the SDK to release can be hard and painful. It won't be completed tomorrow or next week even, so we thought that might be too long to sit in anticipation of things to come. With that in mind, we decided that we should give you a little taste and some insight into what tools we have coming. We are going to make a github repo with the current tools that we have ported over and we will continue add to this repo as things come online.

Please keep in mind that this repo is NOT the SDK and they are NOT completed and fully functional tools. It is a peek at the alpha stages if you will. The current toolset is as follows:
  • SR3 Tools
    • packfile viewer (double click to see contents, double click contents to open, right click save, etc)
    • str2 viewer(this is actually just the packfile viewer, but I wanted to make sure you knew it handled str2 files as well)
    • peg viewer (double click to open cpeg_pc files. Can't see actual graphics, but it will tell you what is inside the peg)
    • vpkg_wd (tool to build/extract packfiles, str2 files, and asm files)
    • vehicle_table_cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files)
  • SR2 Tools
    • vehicle_table_cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files)
    • peg viewer (double click to open cpeg_pc files. Can't see actual graphics, but it will tell you what is inside the peg)
    • npc cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files for npc's)
These tools should be out and in your hands within a week. We can't wait to see the things you make and also to hear about the troubles you have. The request is to make a post into the forums so that everyone has a chance to respond and also see the previous posts so everyone can benefit from the information. Look for tutorial type posts coming soon to explain the usage of the tools.

------------------
Update 7/22 - Jeff is out of the office today and so instead of making you guys wait for the repo to be created, here is the zip of the contents. This is super-mega-alpha and mostly broken and is NOT the SDK.

------------------
Known Issues
------------------
  • Memory leak in packfile viewer when extracting files. Restart the viewer if you run into problems extracting a file.
And where is the SDK now or even the other tools

And where is the SDK now or even the other tools

Back