Saints Row 4 PAX Demo!

Thanks for the SR4 clip, it looks like there's going to be some good fun stuff.:cool:

That freeze gun reminds me of a weapon from Duke Nukem.
I like that inflater gun that expands the NPC's head and eyes. lol
Now that weapon customization has been enhanced it would be nice if one could have the option
of choosing an ammo type for that inflation gun.
For example ;
Ammo Type 1 - Name = "Pop Goes the Weasel" Inflates enemy to point of explosion.
Ammo Type 2 - Name = "Up and Away" - Inflates enemy to a ballon and they float up.
Ammo Type 3 - Name = "Rollie Pollie" - Inflates enemy to a ball that rolls.

What would that gun do to an NPC that already has a big head ?
genkismily2.png
lol
sr4genkihd1.png

You do. It's called Saints Row: The Third. :p

Disclaimer: I can neither confirm nor deny what happens at the end of SRIV. I just felt obligated to make that joke.

Haha, you're right man XD But what I mean is, return to the normal Steelport WITH those kickass superpowers and crazy new weapons ;) I know that during the game you are in a virtual Steelport made by the aliens so it wouldn't really be possible to leave the simulation with those superpowers but its Saints Row, so who cares about logic :D

Flippy analyzes the demo

EDIT: Flippy's comments about the plus signs made me go back and watch the video and, indeed, if you watch the section after Friendly Fire/before Mech Assault, The Boss loses his God Mode and his health doesn't come back until he picks up some of those plus signs. I love this because regenerating health is a cop-out and actually having to earn your health back is way more satisfying

I can probably say this without breaking NDA... SR4 felt much harder than the previous games, which is awesome. I thought the super powers would make everything uber easy-mode. Boy was I wrong. lol.

Negative, sadly: but maybe i was expecting too much from Volition lazy asses...
Well, i'll go buy GTA V instead ^^ it will be waaaaaaaaay, so way better that this... sr3 clone.

You couldn't be any more wrong even if your name was Mr Wrongman Oopso Incorrectson.

Negative, sadly: but maybe i was expecting too much from Volition lazy asses...
Well, i'll go buy GTA V instead ^^ it will be waaaaaaaaay, so way better that this... sr3 clone.

As a hardcore GTA fan I fully agree with that but that doesn't mean you got to compare GTA V with Saints Row IV. The time of comparing these series has already passed. You also don't compare Battlefield with Need For Speed now do you? You don't compare [PROTOTYPE] with Far Cry. So you defenitly shouldn't compare an over the top game where you play as a, with superpowers outfitted, president who has to stop an alien invasion in a crazy world with a serious game where you will play with three different characters, each their own stories, in a realistic world full of criminals, corrupt politics and psychopaths.

I'm going to throw my own speculation into the mix after reading a few impressions of the demo

I think I'm beginning to pick up on how the more conventional weapons will work. Note how on the weapon wheel, each weapon has two names. For example, the .45 Fletcher and Heavy Pistol, or the J7 Rocket Launcher and "RPG". While it initially seems that the second name is the weapon class, I think it means that there's only one Heavy Pistol and one RPG in the game, but because of weapon skins and the way you can mix and match stats, it'll feel like there's way more weapons for each class. This is basically what I was hoping they would do the moment skins were confirmed. Obviously I could be totally wrong and there could be more weapons in the pistol class, SMG class, etc., but for the moment it's shaping up like the second name isn't so much a class as it is a more generic name of the weapon itself. Rather than the K7 Krukov or .45 Shepard, we'll just have "Rifle" and "Heavy Pistol".

Compare this to the wilder weapons like the Dubstep Gun, which have the same name for both its skin and class, and since it's pretty much a given that only one gun in the game will act like the Dubstep Gun, it's safe to say that the second name is the actual name of the gun rather than a class. As a result, I expect there to be a "base" Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, and Rifle (maybe this one is split further into Auto and Semi-Auto Rifles) and you can expand the selection yourself with upgrades and skins.

Going even further with this, when the Freeze Blast is highlighted on the grenade wheel, "Blast" is the name in the "skin" slot and "Freeze" is the weapon name. Considering that superpower customization was confirmed at PAX, I could see being able to upgrade the Freeze Blast to something like a Freeze "Wave" instead. Or it could even be the reverse, and "Blast" is an umbrella term for all kinds of different elements, and Freeze is just one of them. We could see a Fire Blast or a Lightning Blast. Some evidence supporting this is the icon for Freeze Blast, which has a little snowflake beside the "pulse" icon. If there are different kinds of "Blast" powers, I imagine that snowflake would change to a flame or a lightning bolt or whatever.

Lastly, consider that Volition has officially called it "Blast" and not "Freeze Blast" and it's fairly likely that there will be other elemental blasts in addition to Freeze.

I don't want to be the one casting a negative tone, what with me being new and all; but, erm, can't say I'm overly thrilled at what I've seen so far. :( For one, it just looks like the same old Steelport as we got in SR3: same streets, same NPC's, same stores, same interiors (like the inside of Friendly Fire). So, the hopes of getting a Steelport upgrade, akin to the Stilwater enhancements from SR1 -> SR2, seems out of the question now. :( And this saddens me, yes; as I had hoped for a nice, and fresh, free-roaming capabilities.

I don't want to be the one casting a negative tone, what with me being new and all; but, erm, can't say I'm overly thrilled at what I've seen so far. :( For one, it just looks like the same old Steelport as we got in SR3: same streets, same NPC's, same stores, same interiors (like the inside of Friendly Fire). So, the hopes of getting a Steelport upgrade, akin to the Stilwater enhancements from SR1 -> SR2, seems out of the question now. :( And this saddens me, yes; as I had hoped for a nice, and fresh, free-roaming capabilities.

That PAX Demo is a very early pre-alpha build. While I can't reveal any details yet because of the NDA I signed, I can tell you that a lot has changed visually since that video footage was taken. I was also told that even more game assets were being changed/added on a daily basis during their crunch time while finishing it. Don't lose hope!

Back