Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third on GOG

I have this now on GOG too, so I'll get my tools working with this version if any work is required shortly.

I have this now on GOG too, so I'll get my tools working with this version if any work is required shortly.
Many thanks from a lot of us;). Your tools are the very reason we are able to accomplish the mods we do here and always appreciated. Though this does bring up the same question asked previously if this will atract more"pirates" to our hard work here? Granted saints row the third has been forgot and left behind since saints row 4 and gooh have been released no matter how much hard work we put into our mods. Yet with a new persay stripped down version removing the steam access is pretty much the same aspect as giving away a pirated version of the game no matter how much you limit it. And releasing tools for this version would be giving pirates the access to everything we have worked so hard to acheive. Now i am not questioning your reasons nor volition only stating a personal opinion. Yet i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one with these questions in mind.

Can anyone confirm or deny the game is been fixed or improved in some way? i am itching to buy this on GOG if true.

Interesting and unexpected, at least for SR:TT. Not really my thing but good none the less and I'm sure they'll be popular purchases. Hopefully it'll get a lot more people into the series even.

I've had several reports that Powertools works without modification on the GOG version of SR2.

That makes it sound even more like it's totally unchanged. I'll be verifying this though.
Edit: yep, every offset in the EXE that Powertools uses is completely unmodified - this looks like it's exactly the same EXE as the Steam release, just without the Steam encryption on it.

Edit 2: I've also looked into the SRTT release - it appears to be an almost exact copy of a Steam release with the copy-protection stripped out - to the point that GOG bundle a fake steam_api.dll so the game didn't have to be altered to stop calling Steam APIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
this looks like it's exactly the same EXE as the Steam release
I know the Steam version of Saints Row the Third created some registry entries:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Volition\Saints Row the Third]
"install_path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Saints Row the Third"
"exe_path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Saints Row the Third\\game_launcher.exe"
I'm not sure how the game used these, but do you know what the GOG version does with these, and do they cause problems with the Steam version (if both are installed)?
Thanks, Minimaul!

Last edited:
Does getting rid of the steam encryption improve performance in SR2?
No - it's decrypted completely on launch.

Edit: to tell you all how I can tell it's an identical release:
When you recompile a program, it's very rare that you produce identical results - even from the same source code. When SR:GOOH was last updated to add japanese translation files they recompiled the EXE - using the same changeset number (which means the same source code was used). This resulted in an EXE with different memory addresses and internal layout to the original launch EXE - I had to update RadioEnabler for it to work.

The GOG release of SR2 is absolutely identical in terms of addresses and layout - everything is in exactly the same place. This doesn't happen by accident - it means that it is the same EXE. SR2 on Steam predates CEG - so everyone has the same EXE, it's just encrypted. It decrypts it on every game launch. SR2 didn't have any extra Steam hooks in it - that's how it was offered on a wide variety of stores. So to make the GOG release, they simply took the EXE before it had the Steam encryption applied to it, and used that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to get GOG's version of SR2 to see if GotR v1.9.2 will work.

Back