Agents of Mayhem gameplay details!

One does not simply make an open-world game with Unreal or Unity. You'd have to heavily modify the engines to make a game of such large scale with decent performance in them. Also, AoM's engine uses PBR so the game's assets are rendered pretty much exactly like they would be in Unreal/Unity. The game looks like it does because of its art direction, not because the engine's too weak to handle realistic visuals.

Sorry, I may not be an expert in the matter, but I know for a fact that low polygon models and blurry textures aren't an artistic choice.

Sorry, I may not be an expert in the matter, but I know for a fact that low polygon models and blurry textures aren't an artistic choice.
fd47c4109f042abddcface3049c52feb.jpg

031f32e5a4da7f3068f5df212fff7a6f.jpg

Yuck, the people who made these must really suck at art then.

I think sarcasm only works when it's not true...

Anyway, you're grasping at straws, the second image doesn't even contain 3D models, but 2D sprites. Last I checked those didn't have any polygons.

I agree. Even Minecraft looks better than Agents of Mayhem.
But it's only shaders mod... it's still low poly game. You don't like AoM grpahics not because it's colorful you don't like it because you want to have ULTRAREALISTIC graphics.

I believe that everyone has thoroughly explained their positions on the graphics - in fact, I thought we were done yesterday, but apparently we had more to say - so let's not go over them again after this. If you really want to discuss that, make a separate thread that isn't about gameplay details.

(I'm tempted to clean up the tangent about graphics, but it'd involve deleting several pages of posts, and I'm not sure it would overall benefit us.)

Last edited:
Secondly, this is a brand new engine and developing a feature like customization or coop for it is MASSIVELY expensive in resources and time. Game development is about trade offs. You can't have everything, but rather have to pick and choose where you want to dedicate your time and resources (which are finite.)
I'm secretly really hoping that Agents of Mayhem is just a practice run for Saints Row 5. It provides Volition with a source of income and more time to finish the new game engine so we can have a great Saints Row 5 game with all the features we're used to, such as co-op, customization, etc. I know those things are very complicated to get right, so it will take time, but people still need to get paid. ;)

Back