Call for mods

[V] Knobby

Volition Staff
I have steam workshop support just a little bit away, but I need some mods in order to test it. Can someone attach a mod or two that add a few weapons or something?

My SRIV random encounters mod adds new code to sr3_city.lua and new entries to notoriety.xtbl and character.xtbl.Should be a good canditate.

Attachments

• SRIV Random Encouters Mod v3.2.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 391
No worries, I'm here to help! ;)
Well, it took me a day to understand this new format, but here you go - the first weapon mod, that doesn't replace anything.
This mod adds my old "glitchy skateboard" model as an additional costume to the baseball bat. I didn't rework the strings yet, so it still uses the name and description of the ratstick costume, but that's easy to fix.
Remastered.jpg
Anyways, doing this wasn't quite as easy as expected: For example, the mod wouldn't work with only one ASM_PC file called "mods_streaming_weapons.asm_pc" including all the containers. Instead, I had to pack two almost identical ASMs named "mods_streaming_weapons" and "items_containers" into the packfile. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or I just found a bug though.

Attachments

• skateboard_mod.vpp_pc
    794 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Well, it took me a day to understand this new format, but here you go - the first weapon mod, that doesn't replace anything.
This mod adds my old "glitchy skateboard" model as an additional costume to the baseball bat. I didn't rework the strings yet, so it still uses the name and description of the ratstick costume, but that's easy to fix.
Thanks, perhaps I'll finally understand this format thanks to your mod. :D

This new format is very much in flux. I don't see much changing with the bones, but I still don't have everything added that you guys want to mod. It is super, super new so I fully expect bugs like things that simply don't work. You guys will need to be gentle and understand that it might take some back and forth between us to get what you want done. Please don't be shy and ask questions or make suggestions.

Anyways, doing this wasn't quite as easy as expected: For example, the mod wouldn't work with only one ASM_PC file called "mods_streaming_weapons.asm_pc" including all the containers. Instead, I hat to pack two almost identical ASMs named "mods_streaming_weapons" and "items_containers" into the packfile. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or I just found a bug though.

If you are adding an item, you will need to add the item via the item mod stuff(items_containers.asm_pc and items3d.xtbl) and if you're adding a weapon you would need to add the weapon stuff. The containers are unique in name, so what you've done here is what you have to do right now but hopefully not for long. The problem is that it won't parse the weapons table without that asm file. You don't need the asm though and when it actually loads it, I'm sure they are all duplicate containers and they are just ignored. I'll poke around with this mod when I get a chance, thank you very much for putting the time in to do this. I'll look into this mod and let you know if I see anything funny. At a glance, it seems that you've done the right thing here though. You just add your item or whatever to the table file and cut the rest out. Then you add your str2 files and your asm files and it should just go.

The lua changes might be interesting to add. I assume you guys are modding the sr3_city.lua just because you want lua running and that's an easy hook. Then if I could find a way to run your lua file you wouldn't care what the file was named or how, you'd just want it to run, correct?

Oh, just so you guys know. I got steam workshop up and going in the game and changed vpkg to upload mods to the workshop. I need to talk with Valve about some details regarding vpkg but it should be ready to go "soon".

This new format is very much in flux. I don't see much changing with the bones, but I still don't have everything added that you guys want to mod. It is super, super new so I fully expect bugs like things that simply don't work. You guys will need to be gentle and understand that it might take some back and forth between us to get what you want done. Please don't be shy and ask questions or make suggestions.

As I said before, I'd like to make unique names and descriptions for my mods, so it would be great if .le_strings files were parsed just like .xtbls in the future. In particular, I'm thinking about "customize_xx.le_strings".

As I said before, I'd like to make unique names and descriptions for my mods, so it would be great if .le_strings files were parsed just like .xtbls in the future. In particular, I'm thinking about "customize_xx.le_strings".
Excellent request. I don't see why this can't be done easily. I'll add this to my list as well.

The lua changes might be interesting to add. I assume you guys are modding the sr3_city.lua just because you want lua running and that's an easy hook. Then if I could find a way to run your lua file you wouldn't care what the file was named or how, you'd just want it to run, correct?
Yep, that's exactly right. sr3_city.lua is convenient because it has functions that run on new game/save load time so we can fire up a background thread straight away.

Not sure if you saw, but I have this in the latest build. I'm hoping to get that pushed out "soon".

Also I want to thank you again for you mod. It made me realize yet another spot in code where we depend on things that aren't mod friendly. The weapon costume table had a required field of index. That would never work with mods, so I've changed it to be an optional index. You can put in -1 or just leave it blank and the game will put it in there wherever it will fit. That reminds me, I need to increase the max number of costumes allowed per weapon...

Back