Minimaul's Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row IV and Gat Out Of Hell tools

you should really not have this look for a registry entry. Windows registry is a goddamn mess and never works as it should. Now i can't get this tool to work at all. just a ton of "Can't find the fucking folder" prompts.
If your Steam is installed properly, the only way this should be an issue is if you've moved the game into a SteamLibrary folder.

You are using the Steam version of the game, right?

Yes. But i'm using a steam-install from before i formatted, so it doesn't have a registry entry at all. Is it really that big a deal if pirates use it? I don't wanna sound like a martyr, but i'm getting shot in the foot here.

Yes. But i'm using a steam-install from before i formatted, so it doesn't have a registry entry at all. Is it really that big a deal if pirates use it? I don't wanna sound like a martyr, but i'm getting shot in the foot here.

Actually, yes, it is a huge deal. SRM's zero-tolerance policy on piracy is one of the reasons that Volition is working so closely with us on Modding.

That being said, there are a few options you can do to get your Steam installation up and running again.

The first is to try Refreshing your Steam Install:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

The second is to follow the "Moving your Steam Installation" instructions in this post:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-TDLC-0426

The third is to follow the instructions to "Manually Remove Steam" and then reinstall it.
If you decide to do this, make a backup of your SteamApps folder to back up your games.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526

So am I. Steam should create these registry entries on the first run of an app after your reinstall. It has for me for several apps, including SRIV, Civ5 and more.

Testing a new build of these tools now:
  • Fixes extracting preload_anim.vpp_pc and preload_rigs.vpp_pc
  • Fixes building preload_anim.vpp_pc, preload_rigs.vpp_pc and soundboot.vpp_pc
  • Stream2Update will check for a Saints Row IV directory in the registry. If it can't find one, or if the referenced folder doesn't exist, it will check for a Steam folder and then attempt to find Saints Row IV under that.
Assuming these tools work (I test by rebuilding all str2_pc files and all vpp_pc files) this build will be Revision 21.

Edit: The above fixes have been released as Revision 22.

A tool allowing manual ASM edits is next on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minimaul have you tried looking in the <base steam install directory>\config\config.vdf for the installation directory of Saints Row?

It's a text file and it contains meta-data for any installed Steam games. The games are listed by their AppId. (The AppId for SRIV is 206420).

Minimaul have you tried looking in the <base steam install directory>\config\config.vdf for the installation directory of Saints Row?

It's a text file and it contains meta-data for any installed Steam games. The games are listed by their AppId. (The AppId for SRIV is 206420).
I'll add this to the list of places that gets consulted too.

Back