Something to keep you busy until the SDK can be released...

[V] Knobby

Volition Staff
We know that waiting for the SDK to release can be hard and painful. It won't be completed tomorrow or next week even, so we thought that might be too long to sit in anticipation of things to come. With that in mind, we decided that we should give you a little taste and some insight into what tools we have coming. We are going to make a github repo with the current tools that we have ported over and we will continue add to this repo as things come online.

Please keep in mind that this repo is NOT the SDK and they are NOT completed and fully functional tools. It is a peek at the alpha stages if you will. The current toolset is as follows:
  • SR3 Tools
    • packfile viewer (double click to see contents, double click contents to open, right click save, etc)
    • str2 viewer(this is actually just the packfile viewer, but I wanted to make sure you knew it handled str2 files as well)
    • peg viewer (double click to open cpeg_pc files. Can't see actual graphics, but it will tell you what is inside the peg)
    • vpkg_wd (tool to build/extract packfiles, str2 files, and asm files)
    • vehicle_table_cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files)
  • SR2 Tools
    • vehicle_table_cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files)
    • peg viewer (double click to open cpeg_pc files. Can't see actual graphics, but it will tell you what is inside the peg)
    • npc cruncher (crunches xtbl files into cvtf files for npc's)
These tools should be out and in your hands within a week. We can't wait to see the things you make and also to hear about the troubles you have. The request is to make a post into the forums so that everyone has a chance to respond and also see the previous posts so everyone can benefit from the information. Look for tutorial type posts coming soon to explain the usage of the tools.

------------------
Update 7/22 - Jeff is out of the office today and so instead of making you guys wait for the repo to be created, here is the zip of the contents. This is super-mega-alpha and mostly broken and is NOT the SDK.

------------------
Known Issues
------------------
  • Memory leak in packfile viewer when extracting files. Restart the viewer if you run into problems extracting a file.

Attachments

• Saints Row tools pre-alpha incomplete.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,308
I am so glad that we are finally releasing some of this stuff. I also plan on making the work in progress tutorials public at the same time. :)

i am glad these tools will be released much earlier. but idol said in his blog post that they will be command line. which i'm having a hard time to use although i've worked with command line tools before. but will there be a GUI as well?

i am glad these tools will be released much earlier. but idol said in his blog post that they will be command line. which i'm having a hard time to use although i've worked with command line tools before. but will there be a GUI as well?

Some are gui, and some are command line. Once again, this is all alpha stuff. Don't expect any of it to be easy to use.

Some are gui, and some are command line. Once again, this all alpha stuff. Don't expect any of it to be easy to use.

alright. time to getting used to it then. i'm the kind of guy that quickly adapts to any tool. give me a readme with some basic instructions and i get it. even without a readme things are self explanatory to me.
like i don't understand how so many people have difficulty getting gentlemen of steelport to work. so they really don't know or they're just plain dumb.

SR2 vehicle crunch tools are working. Change the UFO default variant to use Iridescent Banana Yellow instead of Candy Red.

E54B448EAD251EF4E43C9CA7FA0766AAE8186422

I just edited my original post to include the initial zip of the initial pile of the initial pass at some tools. I hope I used initial enough that you would figure out that this isn't it. This is NOT the SDK, these are just some of the tools we are working on for the SDK and thought they are useful enough to you guys to release.

These are crude and command line driven. They are not pretty and will probably not work properly at first. Once we have the git repo setup we will continue to update the tools there and I will update the original post with information on how to find them.

Cool thanks for this.

Just one problem. Avira Antivir flags the file sr2_vehicle_table_crunch.exe as a virus (TR/ATRAPS.Gen). I'm safe to assume it's a false positive.

Back