Will The New Saints Row Game Support Mods?

Об официальных инструментах ни слова.
Но разработчики окажут нам поддержку моддинга, насколько сложны новые форматы, But the developers will give us modding support, how complex are the new formats, tools for mods now more difficult to create than before? I see the modding community has plans for this game. But I don't know if the formats will be complicated, for example, to create a map editor or state machine for animation, my plans are to assemble a team and make a full-fledged editor for the game, map editor, animation editor, Shader editor, Ui editor and etc, blender support. Will it be harder than before, even though it used to There were no such tools, what can you say?

Но разработчики окажут нам поддержку моддинга, насколько сложны новые форматы, But the developers will give us modding support, how complex are the new formats, tools for mods now more difficult to create than before? I see the modding community has plans for this game. But I don't know if the formats will be complicated, for example, to create a map editor or state machine for animation, my plans are to assemble a team and make a full-fledged editor for the game, map editor, animation editor, Shader editor, Ui editor and etc, blender support. Will it be harder than before, even though it used to There were no such tools, what can you say?
You want to have everything rn but it's not that easy to make. The file format is different but also very familiar. There are some files you can already open but some of them are completely new and we don't have and tools to open them. Speaking of the tools, if Volition don't give us anything official we would need people to make them but it takes time so you'll have to wait a bit for map editor, shader editor, etc.

You want to have everything rn but it's not that easy to make. The file format is different but also very familiar. There are some files you can already open but some of them are completely new and we don't have and tools to open them. Speaking of the tools, if Volition don't give us anything official we would need people to make them but it takes time so you'll have to wait a bit for map editor, shader editor, etc.
The community says that even in the new game, there will be no such tools, the community took years and even now in the old series there is no map editor or other tools, I do not know what the community will do or if at all. I hope that the modding in the new game will be better than it was before

Given that the game will be released on PC, we can really expect mods, tools, I think the community will cook us something really interesting, I hope that in the new part of SR modding will reach a new level.

Mod support is something the developers and DeepSilver want to do at some point post launch:
1658509320746.png

They have no specifics about how or when, and at what scale yet:
1658509344076.png

It would not be exclusive to the Steam Workshop, but be available on the Epic Games Store as well:
1658509424467.png

So just posting this here, still no word on mods on launch day? I am trying to decide on what version of the game to get, since I didn't pre-order, and I am torn between the PS5 and the PC, since I have a decent gaming rig. In the old days of SR mods, when IdolNinja was doing some amazing work, and may he rest in peace, this would be a no-brainer. But now I'm not so sure.

I had a quick look at the pack files, they're not so much different, some new data is added, some new offsets, but it should be doable, data is readable and the pack too. After 4+ hours of trying to map the data from scratch I have to give up (need to work) as anyone who worked before might have a much better clue what goes where instead of me trying to search from scratch. I have a general idea of where data/names are located but some offsets/counts are unclear yet.

I was also able to extract some of the pack files and .str2_pc files. Right now, I'm trying to extract the textures with the Source Code from the Saints Row 3 texture tool by scanti for the .cvbm_pc and .gvbm_pc files. The first part of the cvbm is the same as before (at least up to NumberOfTexturesDup)
struct TEXCONTAINERHEADER {
int Magic; // Always GEKV
int Version; // This is 19 now, was 13 before
int SizeOf_cpeg_pc;
int SizeOf_gpeg_pc;
int NumberOfTextures;
short NumberOfTexturesDup;
short Unknown3;
};

But in the second part of the file I've having trouble figuring out how to figure out where the FileOffsetOfData is now. It looks like it's not where it was before because it's a huge number and causes the file to read over the end. I tried offsetting the data a few bytes forward to see if I see anything intelligible, but it's tricky.
struct TEXCONTAINERRECORD {
long long int FileOffsetOfData;
unsigned short Width;
unsigned short Height;
TEXTURETYPES TextureEnum;
unsigned char Unk_Flags[6];
unsigned char HasAlpha;
unsigned char Unk_Flag;
unsigned char Unk_Flags2[11];
unsigned char NumberOfMipLevels;
unsigned int SizeOfData;
unsigned short Unknown3[16]; // Always filled with zeros?
};

I might see if I can find some original texture files from Saints Row 3 and compare the data to get a better idea of what it looked like before.

I'm super excited, made some great progress! I was able to extract a Saints Row 2022 DDS texture and view it in Paint.NET with a modified version of the Saints Row 3 texture tools! Here are the new offsets for the .cvbm_pc/.gvbm_pc that worked for me t

struct TEXCONTAINERHEADER {
int Magic; // Always GEKV
int Version; // Always 19
int SizeOf_cpeg_pc;
int SizeOf_gpeg_pc;
int NumberOfTextures;
short NumberOfTexturesDup;
short Unknown3[5]; // the number of bytes here is different than before
};

struct TEXCONTAINERRECORD {
long long int FileOffsetOfData;
unsigned short Width;
unsigned short Height;
TEXTURETYPES TextureEnum;
unsigned char Unk_Flags[6];
unsigned char HasAlpha;
unsigned short Unknown3[8]; // I added 8 more bytes here
unsigned char Unk_Flag;
unsigned char Unk_Flags2[11];
unsigned char NumberOfMipLevels;
unsigned int SizeOfData;
unsigned short Unknown4[16]; // Always filled with zeros?
};
I'll probably quit for the night and see if I can get repacking working tomorrow and I'll build and upload the modified Source and built versions of scanti's texture utilities. I'm also not sure if repacking works on the agentsofmayhem branch of Minimaul's tools (for vpp_pc and str2_pc files). If not I'll work on that tomorrow too. This is a great step in the right direction I think!

Back