Who misses the first game?

A few things I noticed about SR1.

Rag doll physics are FAR better than SR2 -onwards. It feels more realistic and fun when compared to SR2 which felt like the NPC's used cartoon physics.

Another thing I noticed is that civilians will talk to your character about recent events, why was this dumbed down and eventually scrapped?

Civilians, Cops and Gangsters look pretty good compared to the future installments. (In SR2 everyone looked like a meth junkie and in SR3 onwards NPC's were either morbidly obese, borderline anorexic, or had shoulders that put the COG's from Gears to shame)

You could actually ride the tram line

The graphics look bright and colorful compared to the rather drab colors of SR2 and the sterile pallets of SR4. Pretty strange that the odd-numbered games had a lot of color.

Most of the enemy gang leaders actually felt menacing and\or creepy.

Wheel Woman

Another thing I noticed is that civilians will talk to your character about recent events, why was this dumbed down and eventually scrapped?
Exactly! Saints Row 1 did this better than any subsequent Saints Row game. It felt like the people on the street were real people who knew things about me and talked to me about it. It really made the world seem so much more real. I loved that! In subsequent games, the people became less and less realistic to the point where they just feel like bots going through a programmed series of motions (particularly SR3/4).

I think the fact that everyone on the street in SR1 seemed to know you made you feel like you're an important person in the city, which increased the sense of accomplishment as the game progressed.

Yes, Saints Row 1 didn't have airplanes or boats, but they really concentrated on the little details like character interaction and honed them perfectly. I still really enjoy going back and playing SR1.

Last edited:
Exactly! Saints Row 1 did this better than any subsequent Saints Row game. It felt like the people on the street were real people who knew things about me and talked to me about it. It really made the world seem so much more real. I loved that! In subsequent games, the people became less and less realistic to the point where they just feel like bots going through a programmed series of motions (particularly SR3/4).

I think the fact that everyone on the street in SR1 seemed to know you made you feel like you're an important person in the city, which increased the sense of accomplishment as the game progressed.

Yes, Saints Row 1 didn't have airplanes or boats, but they really concentrated on the little details like character interaction and honed them perfectly. I still really enjoy going back and playing SR1.
not even motocycles too.

Have anyone even noticed the AI's appearances between SR1 and SR2? I think the AI looks better in SR1 compared to SR2, they look like Chinese or Japanese in SR2 but both games are better than SR3 and SR4.

Have anyone even noticed the AI's appearances between SR1 and SR2? I think the AI looks better in SR1 compared to SR2, they look like Chinese or Japanese in SR2 but both games are better than SR3 and SR4.
Saints row 1 looks alot nicer than all Saints Row ganes, which is why I like your mod. It was probably the only game for its time thats colour pallette wasn't made up of shades of brown and grey...
*Cough* gta 4 and fallout 3 *cough*

Not only have I played it, i've researched the damn thing, had 3 hour long discord chats about it, hunted the beta, and didn't ask for one bit of help. My goal here is to research and find all data SR1 related. I've found around 9 e3 2005 videos of SR1. Trust me, they're rare. Each only has around 200-1000 views each. On IGN's channel. Seem weird? That's because IGN has over 7 million subscribers. Yet only 200 to 1000 of them have seen the footage. God what have I started doing. I will never be able to recover from the madness. This is my life now...
(apologies for the massive bump)
I've found all those videos from IGN'S YT channel + 40 E3 2005 era SR1 pics in perfect 1280x720 quality on some obscure long abandoned gaming site along with a camcorder video of the E3 2005 demo + the orig E3 2005 trailer in the best quality possible to top it off. I've talked about this stuff under User_452's profile on the SR wiki long before your post and some Finnish guy posted about it on Tumblr and it got attributed to you. I got it all laying around in a folder somewhere on my HDD & on my Mediafire.
Pictures of my work for proof:

50/50 on sharing it though thanks to that. I'm also questioning you playing a build of SR1 that early, unless you actually somehow got to play it back at E3 in 2005, because as far as I know, there isn't a single build that early out circulating/in collector's hands.
Sticking to the subject of SR1, I've also done a bunch of fixes/improvements for SR1 using Gibbed's RF3 tools, but I shouldn't go into detail about that, with how jumpy people are about console modding.
(a few years back, a bunch of people flipped out at me for talking about extracting the music and WMD KBOOM from SR1 in the GOTR Steam group chat, for example - they claimed I was endorsing music piracy.)

Last edited:
Sticking to the subject of SR1, I've also done a bunch of fixes/improvements for SR1 using Gibbed's RF3 tools, but I shouldn't go into detail about that, with how jumpy people are about console modding.
(a few years back, a bunch of people flipped out at me for talking about extracting the music and WMD KBOOM from SR1 in the GOTR Steam group chat, for example - they claimed I was endorsing music piracy.)

Yep that is forbidden here too. In my texture pack there are 3 files, they are: time_of_day.xtbl, weather.xtbl and weather_time_of_day.xtbl files. These files don't actually have the same settings as their SR1 counterpart files, I even went as far as putting the SR1's weather files into SR2 (testing purposes only) and nothing seemed to work, all I seen was a pitch black screen but I could still hear the sounds in the game but couldn't see nothing so I restored my SR2 weather files and only ported the sky colors and fog colors and ect. over to the SR2 weather files.

Yep that is forbidden here too. In my texture pack there are 3 files, they are: time_of_day.xtbl, weather.xtbl and weather_time_of_day.xtbl files. These files don't actually have the same settings as their SR1 counterpart files, I even went as far as putting the SR1's weather files into SR2 (testing purposes only) and nothing seemed to work, all I seen was a pitch black screen but I could still hear the sounds in the game but couldn't see nothing so I restored my SR2 weather files and only ported the sky colors and fog colors and ect. over to the SR2 weather files.
I remember trying the same thing a year or 2 ago as well - no dice. They changed a lot of stuff in the SR2 weather & time .xtbls, so compatibility goes out the window - damn shame.

I remember trying the same thing a year or 2 ago as well - no dice. They changed a lot of stuff in the SR2 weather & time .xtbls, so compatibility goes out the window - damn shame.
It's okay I guess, I just have to substitute some settings for other settings, an example in the TOD file where the SR1's "Haze_Color" was substituted for either the "Skybox_Colors_Blend" or "<Clouds><Front_Lighting_Color> for SR2 , so and so.

Gonna be honest, the graphics of SR1 were definitely better than SR2, better looking, better designed, and in general higher clarity.

Back