SR3 Texture Utilities

Hi, dont mean to sound like an idiot but im completely lost on the instructions here, can someone explain, it says about cpeg_pc files and yet i only have VPP_PC

Help is much appreciated as i wanna try editing a few textures myself

When i try opening the unpack program i just get a command prompt box appear for a split second and i cannot read it as its too fast

Anyone?

Hey everyone. I'm not requesting new clothes, as per the rules posted in the Mod Request section of this forum (thanks IdolNinja). What I am wondering though is if this new utility will help us edit clothing textures, and if so, will this mean that new clothing will be possible in the near future? I'm no expert on texturing, modding, or any of that stuff, but I love using the mods you geniuses create for us. Thanks for doing what you all do! It really is surprising how difficult an issue this seems to be though! Looks like Volition has everyone pretty stumped with the sort of textures, etc, that they chose to use...

When i try opening the unpack program i just get a command prompt box appear for a split second and i cannot read it as its too fast

You do not just double click it. The tools are command line based and you need to either type in parameters on the command line, setup a batch file, or simply drag the vpp_pc archive on to the exe to unpack it.

What I am wondering though is if this new utility will help us edit clothing textures, and if so, will this mean that new clothing will be possible in the near future?

A texture is something very different from a model. It is simply the graphic that is applied. So, while you could maybe add something like a zipper to an existing piece of clothing, you would not be able to add a new piece of clothing.

Thanks IdolNinja! I guess what I should have asked is: "Will it be possible to retexture clothing and see some new custom retextures that people have created?" I was also wondering, for certain outfits, is it possible to apply a transparent texture to certain outfits (ie: making the shorts on the cowboy chaps "disappear" so that the player's underwear would be visible)? Not requesting it... just wondering if it's possible. Moderators, if you feel this questions belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it. :)

Thanks IdolNinja! I guess what I should have asked is: "Will it be possible to retexture clothing and see some new custom retextures that people have created?" I was also wondering, for certain outfits, is it possible to apply a transparent texture to certain outfits (ie: making the shorts on the cowboy chaps "disappear" so that the player's underwear would be visible)? Not requesting it... just wondering if it's possible. Moderators, if you feel this questions belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it. :)

It depends on the shaders the original outfit model uses. Basically if the texture has an alpha channel you can edit it, otherwise you probably can't. I'm looking at extending the work done on decoding the Saints Row model format. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. Hopefully the model format will have a flag that turns transparency on and off.

I also need to fix a bug in the texture unpacker. A few rare textures (only the bra textures that I've found) have junk data in them which needs to be skipped but the unpacker doesn't resulting in corrupted textures.

So is there any advice on repacking? I mean after altering a texture I repack it, then I recompress it to str2_pc, but the thing always crashes or doesn't recognize it.

Any time you update a str2_pc file then you need to also update the corresponding asm_pc file.

I really apologize if I'm being brainlessly idiotic on this one... I have the update ASM exe from the large unpack utility, but I'm not super sure how to make sure I'm updating the ASM properly?

You use it it via command line. For example, let's say I updated a str2_pc file from the interface.vpp_pc archive. I would then need to update the asm_pc file that references it. The asm file I would need to update is vint_doc_containers.asm_pc. I put the new str2_pc file and that asm_pc file into the root with the tools and create the following batch file:
Code:
Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe vint_doc_containers.asm_pc .
pause

Breakdown of each part of the command:
Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe - This exe is in the root with the batch file so I don't need to specify a path
vint_doc_containers.asm_pc - This is the asm_pc file to update. Also no path needed since it's in the root with the batch file and binaries.
. - This is the folder with the new str2_pc files to update. Since they are in the root too I can just use "."

Ok, I think I get it now, a little at least... sorry if I'm being annoying with all the questions. Off to try again!

EDIT: So I made the batch, but I got the error message

"Error: unsupported primitive type 9 <'Pcust mesh'>

Back