SR3 Texture Utilities

I can't open a texture I extracted using Photoshop, it says "cannot complete request due to disk error"; oddly enough. Paint.NET opens it but it looks completely wrong, it's not 1x1 in dimensions and only the top 3rd of the canvas has something in it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Do you get any error messages while extracting the texture files? I looked up the Photoshop error and it usually comes up if the filing system is corrupted in some way. Try running CHKDSK /r as an administrator to check your filing system is OK.

I can't open a texture I extracted using Photoshop, it says "cannot complete request due to disk error"; oddly enough. Paint.NET opens it but it looks completely wrong, it's not 1x1 in dimensions and only the top 3rd of the canvas has something in it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Are you using Windows 8.1 by any chance? I am having the same exact issue.

Do you get any error messages while extracting the texture files? I looked up the Photoshop error and it usually comes up if the filing system is corrupted in some way. Try running CHKDSK /r as an administrator to check your filing system is OK.

I've figured out, it's what happens when I try to unpack one of the texture files I downloaded. When extracting them from the SR4 archives myself all works like it should.

It appears that textures that have been repacked can't be unpacked again?

So,
Original > Unpack >Edit> Repack> Can't be unpacked without Photoshop error.

It appears that textures that have been repacked can't be unpacked again?

So,
Original > Unpack >Edit> Repack> Can't be unpacked without Photoshop error.
Damn... Same thing is happening to me, there's a strip of texture along the top in Paint.net, and the rest is just a transparent canvas. I really like CJK's uncensor and wanted to add some stockings to it from the mod Dunmait posted... but if unpacking CJK's work is impossible then it's beyond my ability. :(

Means I have to choose between them, and I find the body on the stocking mod... really quite awkward. Great stockings though!

Last edited:
It could be some sort of Windows file permissions thing blocking my program from working. Have you tried running my tools as an administrator?

Under Vista and above type cmd in the search box. Right click the cmd.exe in the listing and select run as administrator.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow when I'm off work.

It could be some sort of Windows file permissions thing blocking my program from working. Have you tried running my tools as an administrator?

Under Vista and above type cmd in the search box. Right click the cmd.exe in the listing and select run as administrator.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow when I'm off work.

Tried that.

It appears to be corrupting repackaged SR4 .DDS files upon extraction. I've confirmed this with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two separate machines.

I tried to even convert the .DDS and it's clearly been corrupted.
rshtg1.jpg

Perhaps the files can only be re-extracted on the system they were repackaged on?

Tried that.

It appears to be corrupting repackaged SR4 .DDS files upon extraction. I've confirmed this with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two separate machines.

I tried to even convert the .DDS and it's clearly been corrupted.
rshtg1.jpg

Perhaps the files can only be re-extracted on the system they were repackaged on?

OK I've downloaded ComradeJK's skin mod and I've found out what the problem is. He has resized the textures but instead of using the cvbm_pc files generated by my utility he is using the ones in original game files. This means the size of the texture file in the cvbm_pc file is wrong and my utility only extracts the first 512Kb of the texture instead of the 2048Kb of the actual texture size.

As there is only one texture in the container the game probably doesn't care but if it was a cpeg_pc file with multiple textures it would break the game.

ComradeJK will have to update his mod with the correct header files if you want to extract his textures properly.

Edit: Actually I had a brain fart, the below won't work.
Alternatively if you are OK with using a hex editor then copy the 4 bytes at offset 12 and copy them to offset 60 for each cvbm_pc file and that should fix them.

Last edited:
It wasn't just ComradeJK's mod but Mikado's too.
I'll post a thread asking them to read this.

I guess it's because I've never actually use this tool to convert my textures. I manually hex edited in dds headers into all of the gvbm_pc files, then hex edited the resolution in the cvbm_pc files.

Damn... Same thing is happening to me, there's a strip of texture along the top in Paint.net, and the rest is just a transparent canvas. I really like CJK's uncensor and wanted to add some stockings to it from the mod Dunmait posted... but if unpacking CJK's work is impossible then it's beyond my ability. :(

Means I have to choose between them, and I find the body on the stocking mod... really quite awkward. Great stockings though!

If you tell me which one you want, I can pm the dds to you.

Back