SR3 Texture Utilities

Sorry to bump this topic, but I've run across an issue that I've never seen addressed. I'm working with SRIV character textures, and the tool extracts them fine, with the exception of the hair, which comes out white.

For example, the hair in this should be red, but it isn't.

7gnhzwy.png

I examined the channels in PS, and the hair part of them doesn't seem right at all.

9p1mdk4.png

Is this normal? Assuming it isn't, is there anything I can do to fix it? Thanks.

Since the hair color can be changed by the user (in Image As Designed), I'm guessing that the hair is just a brightness channel only and the color is added later at run-time. The skin is handled differently in that it's already colored in the texture itself.

Ah, this sort of makes sense, although this is a texture for Kinzie. It does come with a "hair_red_03_sb.dds," that I assume is what is supposed to give the hair color.

Can you really change NPC hair in-game? This is happening to me with Gat and Shaundi as well, all of their outfits.

It does come with a "hair_red_03_sb.dds," that I assume is what is supposed to give the hair color.
Yes, that makes sense, since the "_sb" suffix indicates a "shader ball" texture file (used to give the hair it's shininess, no doubt).
Can you really change NPC hair in-game? This is happening to me with Gat and Shaundi as well, all of their outfits.
I didn't realize it was an NPC texture, which you won't be able to change in-game, but I suspect they've just generalized hair to work the same for everything. That gives them the option to randomly color NPC hair during game play, allowing more variety for street people.

Yes, that makes sense, since the "_sb" suffix indicates a "shader ball" texture file (used to give the hair it's shininess, no doubt).

I didn't realize it was an NPC texture, which you won't be able to change in-game, but I suspect they've just generalized hair to work the same for everything. That gives them the option to randomly color NPC hair during game play, allowing more variety for street people.

Yeah, that's probably it. The shader ball texture definitely gives hair shininess also. Well, guess there's nothing that can be done then outside of actually coloring the hair itself, which I don't think I'll do. Thanks for clearing this up!

Yeah, that's probably it. The shader ball texture definitely gives hair shininess also. Well, guess there's nothing that can be done then outside of actually coloring the hair itself, which I don't think I'll do. Thanks for clearing this up!
Well, you actually have two options to change the hair color:
1) Open the shader ball texture in an image editing program and tweak its hue value.
2) Make the shader ball texture black and white, then paint the hair in the character texture itself.

Last edited:
Well, you actually have to options to change the hair color:
1) Open the shader ball texture in an image editing program and tweak its hue value.
2) Make the shader ball texture black and white, then paint the hair in the character texture itself.

Will try these methods, thanks!

Back