Some questions about the developer console

This is actually part of the issue. When we build in release final mode there are no console commands and lots of our code simply goes away because it is marked to be compiled out when we release the game. It isn't just a switch to flip, but lots of code to enable and test, etc.

Well it's certainly awesome of you to try anyway. I always just thought all the relevant code was inside an #ifdef or something. Care to elaborate on what you mean? I'm curious. :)

Assuming you do update SR3 to readd the console, can you estimate how long it will be until said update comes out?

Also, what about Saints Row 2? Did that game at any point have a developer console? What would enabling it in there involve?

Thanks again! Ever since I heard about your new stance on modding, I suddenly started thinking much higher of Volition. :D

many popular pc games. namely the elder scrolls games. have a console that you can toggle at any point in the pc version of the game by pressing the tilde "~" key. then you can issue commands for example: TGM which toggles godmode. TFC which toggles the free flying camera. so you can move the camera around your player character or the environment. TM with which you can change the weather. and a command with which you can change the time of day on the fly. and many more console commands. now i know SR:TT is a whole other engine. but in what way will this happen? if the dev console will come to SR:TT what commands will be there and what would be their use? will it be possible to have commands like these? and how will values work?

Well it's certainly awesome of you to try anyway. I always just thought all the relevant code was inside an #ifdef or something. Care to elaborate on what you mean? I'm curious. :)

Assuming you do update SR3 to readd the console, can you estimate how long it will be until said update comes out?

Also, what about Saints Row 2? Did that game at any point have a developer console? What would enabling it in there involve?

Thanks again! Ever since I heard about your new stance on modding, I suddenly started thinking much higher of Volition. :D

We do have #defines for the console, but they gate much more than the console. The issue is digging through all the defines and figuring out which ones are related to the console and which ones should be gone because they are extra code or debug features. It will just take time.

many popular pc games. namely the elder scrolls games. have a console that you can toggle at any point in the pc version of the game by pressing the tilde "~" key. then you can issue commands for example: TGM which toggles godmode. TFC which toggles the free flying camera. so you can move the camera around your player character or the environment. TM with which you can change the weather. and a command with which you can change the time of day on the fly. and many more console commands. now i know SR:TT is a whole other engine. but in what way will this happen? if the dev console will come to SR:TT what commands will be there and what would be their use? will it be possible to have commands like these? and how will values work?

Our console is much the same. We use ~ to access it and you type commands similar to other engines.

We do have #defines for the console, but they gate much more than the console. The issue is digging through all the defines and figuring out which ones are related to the console and which ones should be gone because they are extra code or debug features. It will just take time.

What kind of debug features? Anything that could potentially be useful or fun to play with? If so you might as well leave them in.
Do you know how long it will be? I don't want to rush you; I'm just excited. :)

Could we run our own custom LUA scripts directly from the console?
Sorta like the "exec" function in the source engine.

Well the "exec" command executes scripts that are just a list of console commands to execute. In Garry's Mod, for instance, which also uses Lua, it still just executes console commands, not Lua scripts. There's a different command to do that. ("lua_openscript_cl")
As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread, a comment in one of SR3's Lua scripts mentioned a "lua" command which runs Lua code; I assume there will be a similar command to execute scripts. Lua does have a "dofile" function to execute scripts which may be possible to be used via the "lua" command for this purpose, but this command doesn't work in sr3_city.lua for some reason.

Also, Kyle873 asked earlier if you had a list of commands you could post, and you said something to the effect of there not being such a list, but what kind of commands do you remember there being?

Also, Kyle873 asked earlier if you had a list of commands you could post, and you said something to the effect of there not being such a list, but what kind of commands do you remember there being?

What kinds of commands are there during the dev cycle? Well, you name it, there's probably a command for it - I doubt any one person has knowledge of all the commands and what they do, and it probably ranges in the thousands at this point. Each discipline has a rough idea of the commands they have access to to best do their job, and some (like Mike and Jeff) have a much broader knowledge, but likely still don't know every command.

Common commands are things like Slew (similar to NoClip in other engines), invulnerability, commands to drop vehicles or characters, start missions, complete chunks of the game, set the time of day, reduce/increase notoriety; the sort of thing you would expect in most Dev Consoles. Many of the 'common' commands are used as cheats when the game is shipped.

More specific commands (for my discipline), include opening all the doors on a given vehicle, setting it to a fully damaged state, repairing it, activating a given light sub set, seeing the physics/collision data, seeing node positions (Where the exhaust/fire/explosion/light glare effects come from, that sort of thing) and much more. As I say, each discipline has their own set.

I don't know how many of those commands Mike will be able to make available though, so don't get too excited just yet.

those are some pretty awesome commands. i'm really curious what will be added in.

Back