Some questions about the developer console

I've heard, both from IdolNinja and from a comment in one of your Lua files (I forgot which one; it said something about a "lua" command that runs Lua code), that SRTT had a developer console during development, which was later removed from the game. Is there any chance that it will be officially put back in in SRTT, either by an update or some replacement files you'll release at some point?

And what about Saints Row IV? I assume the game will have a console during development; how likely is it that it will stay in the game when it's released?

Are you talking about a specific lua console or a console in the game? For development we do have a console to do things like load levels, start missions, give items, etc. We turn that off when we ship, but I can see if we can enable it for the PC version. It might need to be something that has to be toggled with a .ini change or something, but I'm sure that is fine.

Are you talking about a specific lua console or a console in the game? For development we do have a console to do things like load levels, start missions, give items, etc. We turn that off when we ship, but I can see if we can enable it for the PC version. It might need to be something that has to be toggled with a .ini change or something, but I'm sure that is fine.

Just whatever it is that you use during development. And is there any chance of maybe getting an update for SR3 to enable it there too?
Thanks a bunch!

Awesome. Thanks! :D
EDIT: I know this doesn't really matter, but do you have any idea why it was removed in the first place?

Most likely, keeping it enabled used up extra resources that are at a premium cost on consoles... i.e. Memory.
And when you release something on multiple platforms, you try to keep them as close as possible to each other so as not to create a customer support nightmare for the CS folks..

I believe it is a relic from releasing just console games. Interestingly enough, the console is a relic from releasing just PC games.

I imagine it'll take a little bit to make the console available, but do you guys have a list/reference of commands laying around you could post? That would be awesome.

This is actually part of the issue. When we build in release final mode there are no console commands and lots of our code simply goes away because it is marked to be compiled out when we release the game. It isn't just a switch to flip, but lots of code to enable and test, etc.

Back