Scary ass games!

Come on, Amnesia was the least scariest game I have ever played. Simply said, the protagonist was just hallucinating, going on a PSTD-like state. It wasn't scary for me at all, only on "water" levels like the sewer because I have aquaphobia/hydrophobia.

I also find the way he gets easily scared of darkness silly.

Still trying to find a REAL scary game. That "Afraid of Monsters" mod for HL1 wasn't so bad.

I think the scariest for me was one of the modules for Neverwinter Nights, something called "Zombie Nightmare 2" I guess. It's not just zombies, there were more scarier creatures. Those good ol' times.

I hope there's a room for board games in this thread, because you know that the gameplay is going to bring you some real Lovecraftian shivers when its illustrated with such masterpieces:
Can't wait to finally play it. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Arkham Horror is the best board game ever made. We specifically bought a huge kitchen table just to fit the base game plus all expansions. :)

"Miasmata" is pretty creepy. It's on Steamfor like $15 dollars. Well worth it IMHO. It has a day night cycle and you have to avoid a strange creature that roams a deserted island while you gather up flowers and fungi to make medicines to heal yourself. you've got some sort of disease that only specific flowers and fungi can cure. It's a serious horror survival game. There's no way to kill the creature that actively hunts you down. You can only distract him by throwing rocks or use stealth by hiding in tall grass or behind rocks or trees to avoid being seen and killed by it. Night time in the game is REALLY dark and it's really creepy. I recommend sleeping in a tent or a building on the island instead of roaming around in the dark where you can fall to your death or get killed by the monster. You can use torches at night for lighting your way and the beast doesn't like fire but he will still come after your light. You can get fatigued if you run for too long and you get hungry and thirsty in the game and have to replenish your canteen or drink from fresh water ponds. It's a really tough survival horror game. The graphics are not the best and the gameplay is a bit slow but it's got a general creepiness to it. Lots of exploration. The island is HUGE. You have to actually plot and explore the island using real life navigational methods or you will get really lost. There's a momentum when you run so you have to slow down early or you will continue to run. It makes the game a bit frustrating because you feel like you're controlling a robot or something with a bit of a time delay but it's to add the realism that no human being just stops on a dime when you're in a fully blown sprint. You can slide down cliff sides you can get dizzy in the game if you lose your bearings from a fall or hit your head on something. Your heart beat picks up when the beast gets closer to you which adds to the suspense.

I also like...

Dead Space 1 and 2
Resident Evil 5 (Note: Stay away from Raccoon City game. That's not a real Resident Evil game. It's an action game. It's got decent action but ZERO horror.)
And of course Amnesia is probably the scariest horror game of all.

If you have Dos Box and can find an old game called "Phantasmagoria" then I highly recommend that game. It's a point click adventure with real video footage and cutscenes.
Here's the intro for the game.

I still don't understand, why/how is Amnesia the scariest game of all the other ones out there?

Yes, I played it already before you ask me about it, I found it to be rather easy and not too scary actually.

I have hydrophobia, yet, the sunken parts weren't so scary to me. I only avoided it like it was a spike trap.

Back