Scary ass games!

I still don't understand, why/how is Amnesia the scariest game of all the other ones out there?

Yes, I played it already before you ask me about it, I found it to be rather easy and not too scary actually.

I have hydrophobia, yet, the sunken parts weren't so scary to me. I only avoided it like it was a spike trap.

Amnesia has been hailed as the creepiest game of all time on numerous sites because the game is dark and you have no way to defend yourself and you are hunted down and chased by ghostly creatures that can harm your character or you if you imagine your character is actually you since the game is played in 1st person. There's something creepy about that to most people. It's the chase and fear of being caught that gets to people. The fear of being defenseless and having to hide in order to not get caught. Of course some people are not afraid of this and find other things to be afraid of instead. Maybe you're just immune to the fears that MOST others have. Good for you. But before you hail yourself as some sort of brave champ you might consider that you do have fears and those fears might not be the fears others have just the same.

I personally know of someone who is deathly afraid of balloons of any kind. People laugh and joke at him but the site of balloons makes him throw up and tremble in fear. This same person however is not afraid of any kind of snake or spider or the dark or ghost or monsters or anything else that MOST people are afraid of. It could be said that he's less afraid of things compared to most people. But put a balloon in his face and he will throw up all over the place and tremble like a frightened little school girl.

I remember he had a problem the first time he had sex with a girl back in high school. She apparently pulled out a condom and blew it up thinking it to be funny and tease him. He barfed all over her lap and got into the fetal position on the bed and sucked his thumb like a baby right in front of her. I think he may have been abused or seen abuse happen at a birthday party when he was young and doesn't remember the details or anything because the brain has a way of shutting down certain things we want to forget about if they are traumatic enough for us. But balloons are what remind him that he should be afraid for some reason he's just not aware of why he should be afraid.

Now imagine being him. There are so many balloons around that your chance of seeing one each day is highly probable. Most of us don't have to deal with our fears as much as he does. I feel bad for the guy. He can't hardly go out anywhere. In a car he usually has to stare at the floor just so he won't see balloons at car dealerships he's driven by. Of course he doesn't drive himself. He's 33 years old and has never had a drivers license. He's married to the girl that I mentioned he threw up on. She tells me she has a fear of vomit. Go figure.

Don't piss yourself or anything but you said you have hydrophobia and want to play a scary game. Then I recommend this one for you...

Yep, nothing like being miles and miles out to see and underwater in a cramped German U-boat with the chance of being depth-charged and stuck underwater hundreds of feet down.

Amnesia has been hailed as the creepiest game of all time on numerous sites because the game is dark and you have no way to defend yourself and you are hunted down and chased by ghostly creatures that can harm your character or you if you imagine your character is actually you since the game is played in 1st person.

I like darkness, but it gets boring easily and it isn't even scary, day itself is scarier. Why day? Because, why the hell do you always see a bunch of strange creepy creatures at night and not at DAY? If I saw creatures at day, it would be creepier for me, but this? Always darkness, I always thought it would be cliche. But yes, it does set the mood fine, I do like darkness myself as I typed before, I feel safe from it most the times.

Having no way to defend myself isn't too scary for me, I can always hide, hiding doesn't make you a coward. Being chased by ghostly creatures is boring and, again, cliche. If you mean Grunt and Brute, well they are rather creepy, but I myself, would be passive and study them. No, I won't be peaceful and make them my friend like the typical hippy or something. Making them my "minions" or so isn't too bad either.

If that protagonist was me for real, I think I would suicide, I didn't like the protagonist much myself.

There's something creepy about that to most people. It's the chase and fear of being caught that gets to people. The fear of being defenseless and having to hide in order to not get caught.

Being chased is pretty much typical, fear of being caught is typical too. Who wants to get caught? Being defenceless is somehow understandable, you can still hide, nothing wrong. Want to kill the monster? Tough luck buddy.

Of course some people are not afraid of this and find other things to be afraid of instead. Maybe you're just immune to the fears that MOST others have. Good for you. But before you hail yourself as some sort of brave champ you might consider that you do have fears and those fears might not be the fears others have just the same.

Bravery is controversial, you can't define it exactly so. Some define it as risk; Fight a lion and you're brave. Some define it as daring; Eat this nasty human corpse that was infected with the black plague.

I personally know of someone who is deathly afraid of balloons of any kind. People laugh and joke at him but the site of balloons makes him throw up and tremble in fear. This same person however is not afraid of any kind of snake or spider or the dark or ghost or monsters or anything else that MOST people are afraid of. It could be said that he's less afraid of things compared to most people. But put a balloon in his face and he will throw up all over the place and tremble like a frightened little school girl.

That makes me wonder if "human fear" is dependant heavily on balance itself. If you're afraid of things that commonly make people frighten, you might as well be balanced. If you're not afraid of any, you're unbalanced, and you actually do have at least one or two horrible fears.

No, I don't know about that, but it sure seems so.

I remember he had a problem the first time he had sex with a girl back in high school. She apparently pulled out a condom and blew it up thinking it to be funny and tease him. He barfed all over her lap and got into the fetal position on the bed and sucked his thumb like a baby right in front of her. I think he may have been abused or seen abuse happen at a birthday party when he was young and doesn't remember the details or anything because the brain has a way of shutting down certain things we want to forget about if they are traumatic enough for us. But balloons are what remind him that he should be afraid for some reason he's just not aware of why he should be afraid.

Sometimes you know why you're afraid of it, sometimes you don't. Too bad for the "brain", it can't really remove the traumatic memories unless you probably get extreme amnesia.

Now imagine being him. There are so many balloons around that your chance of seeing one each day is highly probable. Most of us don't have to deal with our fears as much as he does. I feel bad for the guy. He can't hardly go out anywhere. In a car he usually has to stare at the floor just so he won't see balloons at car dealerships he's driven by. Of course he doesn't drive himself. He's 33 years old and has never had a drivers license. He's married to the girl that I mentioned he threw up on. She tells me she has a fear of vomit. Go figure.

That's funny now, he married that girl and she had a fear of vomit? Damn, and they're actually still together? Are they still in love? If so, lucky bastards, being in love is too damn hard and pretty much worthless. I knew even those with "incompatible attributes" can have a stable relationship.

And I can't imagine being him, the little balloons never did any harm to me.

Don't piss yourself or anything but you said you have hydrophobia and want to play a scary game. Then I recommend this one for you...

Yep, nothing like being miles and miles out to see and underwater in a cramped German U-boat with the chance of being depth-charged and stuck underwater hundreds of feet down.

I always thirst for many kinds of glory, or action to be more exact, I'll see that game. I hope Cthulhu is there so I can hit him in the face just to show him I overcame my hydrophobia.

EDIT: This isn't my type of game at all, it isn't even horror. It's just a strategy where you control a U-boat. Hell, I have no fear of game water, unless I am pretty much not in a submarine or so. Something similar to Bioshock 1 and 2.

I always thirst for many kinds of glory, or action to be more exact, I'll see that game. I hope Cthulhu is there so I can hit him in the face just to show him I overcame my hydrophobia.

EDIT: This isn't my type of game at all, it isn't even horror. It's just a strategy where you control a U-boat. Hell, I have no fear of game water, unless I am pretty much not in a submarine or so. Something similar to Bioshock 1 and 2.

You can go outside of the U-boat and walk around the deck topside while you're out to sea. You said you were afraid of the water so I figured that being on a boat that can go underwater would be creepy to you. I forgot about Bioshock. That was a good one and was pretty creepy at times.

This looks interesting...

You can go outside of the U-boat and walk around the deck topside while you're out to sea. You said you were afraid of the water so I figured that being on a boat that can go underwater would be creepy to you. I forgot about Bioshock. That was a good one and was pretty creepy at times.

This looks interesting...

Damn, now that is scary. No way I will be able to finish the game if it was released.

"WAR Z".
Sure, the zombies aren't the brightest, but for some strange reason the heart starts pumping when you see another player.

Just noticed System Shock 2 on gog.com and thought of letting you know about that gem: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2 . Judging on screenshots it can be wrongly taken as an Aliens/Half-Life rip-off, but in fact it is a completely different game. It builds its astmosphere slowly, but unstopabbly. (potential spoiler) It contains probably one of the best turn of events in video game history as well. Last but not least, for some reason, it makes me think of Solaris and Sphere novels if that's any indication for you...

Just noticed System Shock 2 on gog.com and thought of letting you know about that gem: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2 . Judging on screenshots it can be wrongly taken as an Aliens/Half-Life rip-off, but in fact it is a completely different game. It builds its astmosphere slowly, but unstopabbly. (potential spoiler) It contains probably one of the best turn of events in video game history as well. Last but not least, for some reason, it makes me think of Solaris and Sphere novels if that's any indication for you...
SS2 is fucking awesome. :)

Slendytubies scared the hell out of me, then I watched tellietubbies again and that also scared the hell out of me.
Guess it was meant to do that.

I myself find Metro: Last Light pretty, well, not exactly scarry, but creepy. It's damn awesome though! Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl with a couple of mods can turn out to be "scarry" at times. Fallout: 3 (with a bunch of mods of course) in the metro tunnels, can also surprise you at times.

But, Amnesia, seriously? SR:TT is even scarrier than that shit. Oh well, I gues everyone has their own opinion.

Back