SPOILERS Saints Row (2022) official info

Short gameplay footage

They honestly should have led with this to begin with. People want to see the games they'll be playing, not sold a flashy lie. As for the general tone, I think it's understandable provided Saints Row 1 and 2 were based on general gang and street tropes associated with Gen X culture. Saints Row 3 kind of left that culture behind as the characters were now seasoned criminals rather than street thugs. Saints Row 4 wasn't even on earth so there wasn't anything to base it on really except other forms of media. I think with the new "woke" "millineal" "PC" angle they are doing this again. So long as they lean in to the joke, and don't take the entire premise at face value, I think it could work.

04.SAINTS_ROW_Marshall_Flashpoint_4K.jpg

This picture is really the thing that pissed me off the most with that new game. On one side you have an AK looking gun and a muscle car and on the other you have a laser turret and a flying bike... in the same picture... in the same fucking game.

I think this picture sums up perfectly Volition's main problem since the release of Saints Row the Third: every time they release a new game they are trying to please everyone at the same time by mixing elements from the older games with over the top stuff. If it even is possible to please both the "new" and "old" fans with a single game, this is certainly not the way to do it, as the "old" fans got the short end of the stick with the last 4 games.
One of my favorite moments in SR3 was when STAG finally gtfoed from the game because they looked so out of place next to the other factions. It's sad to see that Volition still struggles to understand what the strengths and weaknesses of its previous games are, especially because they are really trying, you can even see it on that picture with the fact that the road is made of cobblestone; they are really trying to make the districts unique again. But because of this one questionable design decision to have a faction with space age technology while everyone else is living in present day, you undermine this really interesting city and world you've created.

The suspension of disbelief only works when the world is coherent with itself.

I absolutely love Volition and the last thing I want to do is shit on one of their product because even if I don't always like them, I know they always put their heart and soul into it. But I really wish they would understand that most of the stuff past SR2 is NOT Saints Row.
If they want to make an open world crime game in a sci-fi setting (something that would happen in a world like Dead Space or Halo), I would be super fucking supportive and most fans would be too, AS LONG AS they don't call it Saints Row and they don't market it that way.

Volition isn't killing Saints Row, it's the other way around.

Volition, man, you need to realize that it's not necessary for you to scream "SAINTS ROW!" or "JOHNNY GAT!" for people to notice your game. People know your strengths; you just need to tell them "in-depth character customization" or "chaotic third person combat", and people will be instantly interested, even if it's not a Saints Row game. Commit to creating something brand new where you can really express yourself and go wild instead of clinging to those names that don't mean anything anymore, and be forced to create a product that mixes different aspects and is ultimately middling.

Last edited:
Alright I'll try and collate my thoughts.

- I like the shaders and artstyle they picked, I hate uncanny realism and prefer slightly stylized visuals, I feel like they have a good blend here, and the characters look more like real people because they don't try to push the uncanny valley.

- I really do not like the look of the main cast, I hate the millennial hipster aesthetic and the default boss they showed looked super ugly with that haircut. The gang that was shown in the cinematic had some really cool character designs, and I honestly would prefer playing with characters that look closer to them. I love muscular women don't sue me.

- Santo Ileso has a lot of potential to be a really interesting and well developed city with some unique culture and environmental storytelling, but it depends heavily on if they worked on making the civilian AI intelligent and interesting. Agents of Mayhem had very static pedestrians and the locale of Hong Kong and its culture was barely utilized in an interesting way whatsoever.

- The description of the game as a "millennial power fantasy" is extremely off putting, and a reason why I avoided Watch Dogs 2 like the plague. I hate that style of storytelling and find the characters in them to often be horribly written, incredibly obnoxious, and obsessively politically correct.

- The concept of buying real estate, running criminal enterprises, and having choices on how they are run and where they operate impacting the city is a really cool idea in theory, and I want to see it come to fruition to add interesting depth and personalized storytelling, but execution is what matters, so I'll need to see more.

- Kawaii Cyberpunk Anarchists and Sci-Fi weaponry is straying too far from the style I was hoping for, and has the potential to be extremely obnoxious and unsatisfying (sci fi weapons often have worse sound design in games than ballistic guns with heavy bass).

- " The most advanced suite” of customization tools ever seen in an open-world game." Should have been the centerpiece of the announcement trailer, showing a montage of different "boss's" with unique visual design and personalities engaging in the criminal underworld in their own unique way. I hope in the name of being politically correct they don't remove the ability for sex positive character portrayals, as I know for a fact that there a lot of people out there who enjoy and appreciate the ability to play characters with sexual confidence and personally beautiful aesthetic designs without negative connotations.

- John Wick, Baby Driver and Fast and Furious (although Fast and Furious is terribly written), are really good reference points for the type of kinetic action combat I was hoping and excited for, mentions of brutal melee takedowns, stunts and the ability to fight on top of vehicles is the kind of action movie style combat is that missing from Triple A games, and I feel would be an extremely good blend and balance between Saints Row 2 and 3's styles.

- Vehicle customization is great to see mentioned, and should have been another focus of the announcement trailer. I hope it is well designed and in depth, and that vehicle destruction and physics are given a strong attention to detail. Hopefully driving is fun and well designed, and that there are unique activities that utilize it that aren't just "A to B" or "Destroy everything in a circle".

- Epic exclusivity is a huge disappointment, and means I wont be able to support the game at launch.

- "We love [the old Saints Row games], but we also recognize those are games of a time," he said. "They made sense within that era, and we were able to do things that felt good back then. But that tone is not something that we feel like we want to do today. We had a different kind of story that we wanted to tell."
This is extremely worrying, and I feel will effect the game in a drastically negative way if not handled correctly. It is vague what specifically is being talked about here, but the PC Gamer article seemed to consider it as such:

"What's probably not returning is the exact tone of humor that players might remember from Saints Row 3 and 4. I remember laughing often at Saints Row The Third when I played it 10 years(!) ago, but it took some googling to remember just how embarrassingly edgy its writing was. Between memorable setpieces and lovable characters were moments of casual sexism and homophobia within its main cast and beyond—the sort of stuff that I breezed by in all media when I was a dumb 15-year-old."

I am baffled by this statement, since, especially with the fourth game, I recalled absolutely nothing that could be labelled as discriminatory or bigoted. I found some of the BDSM jokes in 3 unfunny, and I didn't enjoy Benjamin King's loyalty mission in 4, but that was due to not finding the writing humorous, and finding that it didn't fit my depiction of The Boss. This writer is demonstrating no nuance or understanding of the previous games, and is making an incredibly shallow statement.

I absolutely hope that this doesn't rotate around into self censorship, there is a huge difference between changing the tone of a sequel because it was felt that writing wasn't funny or entertaining, and toning down themes such as sexuality or hard topics like discrimination within a criminal enterprise, in a story about bad people doing immoral things. Due to the vagueness of the statement, you can hopefully assume he is talking about the outlandish style of 3 and 4, and not the idea of sex positive character portrayals. A game about drug running operations, murder, and criminal enterprises shouldn't consider sexuality a taboo, and sexuality is also not inherently immoral whatsoever. A sex worker or burlesque dancer isn't inherently inferior, and such parts of a city and world should be able to be portrayed without hesitation in a game for mature adults.

- Let characters be sexy and fun, have characters with charisma and characters who are dangerous, don't be prudish.

- I hope that the combat has lessons learnt from Agents of Mayhem, as I feel it was its strongest point. A focus on intelligent and reactive enemy AI is hugely important to me, and I hope that stays. Strong impactful weapon sounds, and satisfying enemy reactivity is also hugely important to make gunplay feel satisfying.

- I hope the trend of high quality animation continues from Agents of Mayhem, as the character animations were exceptional.

- I hope that the comedy writing takes a turn in direction from Agents of Mayhem, as I found a lot of it decidedly unfunny, and that it instead focuses on character like the background lore and banter in AOM, as that was one of the best parts of the game.

- Side activities being repetitive and lacking in depth, challenge or complexity is one of the weakest parts of Saints Row and AOM, and I hope that a strong focus has been put on making them replayable, challenging, and hopefully customizable.

- The return of high difficulty options from Agents of Mayhem, I love a satisfying challenge and want to see that remain.

- End game open world content so that the city doesn't become an empty wasteland after the story is completed would be greatly appreciated.

- The ability for the player to interact with and live in the open world, workout at the gym, eat at a cafe, drink at a bar, heck dancing at the strip club without it being treated like a joke, looking at a museum, swimming at an aquatic centre. Ways for a player to personalize their boss and create a unique experience for themselves, and make the city of Santo Ileso feel like a living breathing world.

- Likeable main characters, I hope that the game doesn't lean into the millennial hipster youth culture, and creates engaging characters with an interesting dynamic with that isn't afraid to handle mature topics and gang culture.

I get why people are upset to an extent, the cinematic trailer wasn't very good, and they didn't do a good job clarifying important things during the Gamescom announcement. They already showed journalists an hour of gameplay, so I hope they don't leave consumers hanging and unsatisfied for long. I'm not sure if the Saints Row dev team even reads this forum, so if anyone knows a better place to post feedback feel free to me know.
I agree with most of this, I have both concerns and hopes from what we were shown.

Just one thing, AoM took place in Seoul, not Hong Kong.

I agree with most of this, I have both concerns and hopes from what we were shown.

Just one thing, AoM took place in Seoul, not Hong Kong.
Gah such a stupid mistake, it's been quite a while since I looked at the game, my apologies. I'll correct it. Shows ignorance on my part since I was discussing the idea of unique cultural representation of a city, so I feel incredibly silly.

I feel super bad about being overtly critical, it was extremely tragic when there was mass layoffs after Agents of Mayhem, as that is peoples genuine livelihoods on the line, when we are discussing a piece of media that overall wont impact us in a negative way whatsoever.

Volition is clearly full of passionate and talented people, and the love they have shown the modding community is beyond what most big gaming companies would even attempt. The fact that they recovered old code and have a team trying to fix the pc port of Saints Row 2 over a decade later is truly admirable and shouldn't be ignored. Agents of Mayhem had some exceptional groundwork to it in regards to gorgeous animation and excellent combat that was let down by the game being rushed, unfinished and poorly marketed. Despite being more of a standalone expansion pack than a full new game, I adored Saints Row 4 and loved the characters, who I find I was able to sincerely connect with.

L'Andromada

Although I don't personally necessarily mind the blend of elements, I absolutely agree that it clearly is frustrating for a lot of older fans, and that Volition's constant obsession with their own brand is stifling their creative freedom and the perception of consumers. One of the major issues Agents of Mayhem's marketing had was the constant use of Saints Row branding even though it wasn't a part of the franchise, and was a very different game in terms of mechanical focus and content.

I got into the series with 3, so I genuinely don't mind an exuberant world and style, and good writing, storytelling and characters can be expressed in a lot of different thematic ways. But I do understand how important narrative and thematic coherence is in creating a relatable and interesting world, and how frustrating it must be for people who desperately want a style of game that, honestly, has been severely under-represented for over a decade.

I'm scared that even if the game ends up fantastic, the bad marketing will stifle sales and Volition will suffer more layoffs or an even worse case scenario, so I really, desperately hope they are able to turn things around, and that first impressions of the characters are able to be shifted and a positive community can be cultivated.

L'Andromada

Although I don't personally necessarily mind the blend of elements, I absolutely agree that it clearly is frustrating for a lot of older fans, and that Volition's constant obsession with their own brand is stifling their creative freedom and the perception of consumers. One of the major issues Agents of Mayhem's marketing had was the constant use of Saints Row branding even though it wasn't a part of the franchise, and was a very different game in terms of mechanical focus and content.

I got into the series with 3, so I genuinely don't mind an exuberant world and style, and good writing, storytelling and characters can be expressed in a lot of different thematic ways. But I do understand how important narrative and thematic coherence is in creating a relatable and interesting world, and how frustrating it must be for people who desperately want a style of game that, honestly, has been severely under-represented for over a decade.

I'm scared that even if the game ends up fantastic, the bad marketing will stifle sales and Volition will suffer more layoffs or an even worse case scenario, so I really, desperately hope they are able to turn things around, and that first impressions of the characters are able to be shifted and a positive community can be cultivated.
Exactly, Agents of Mayhem tried to be Saints Row, but in all the wrong ways. If it had been established from the start that it should be something completely different than SR, I think it could have ended up being decent, and it certainly wouldn't have pissed anyone off. Those shitty gaming channels certainty didn't help with their clickbait "AoM is actually SR5: confirmed because Gat and fleur de lys olololol" videos, but it was ultimately Volition's fault.
I just feel like Volition is full of creative ideas but can't express them because they feel (or are) obligated to only make SR games. And because they don't want to alienate the "old" fans nor the "new" ones they end up making a game that doesn't know what it wants to be.

About the reboot specifically, my biggest problem isn't the blending of elements in and of itself (it can actually be pretty cool if done correctly like in Fallout NV) it's just that it doesn't make sense when a mercenary group is using flying bikes while the government is still using regular police cars.
It's even more baffling when you remember that GTA Online was criticized for this exact same reason, most of the GTA player base are sick and tired of flying bikes and laser rifles and are begging to get a more grounded game. Volition had the power to deliver this and get a lot of new people interested, but they just didn't, they missed one of their biggest opportunity, that's just sad.

If the game fails (and I hope it won't), I just hope Epic's money will be used to secure the future of the employees. If this is actually the reason they took the deal then that just makes me like the company even more. And I won't even be mad if I have to wait up to 2 years to play it (if it's permanent we're gonna have a problem tho).

Btw I'd say I pretty much 100% agree with what you said in you long post, mainly the personalities of the main characters, that's a much more subjective issue and it might be just an impression but they looked to me like the typical self centered social media addicts that I've always tried to distence myself from (especially the Asian guy). I hope I'm wrong.

So this fella got a sneak-peak at what this game has to offer and, hoo boy, looks like the CGI trailer we saw did NOT do it justice. I won't spoil it for anyone who don't wanna watch it, but they're gonna show it today and...

We might wanna buckle up.
Afaik everybody that had seen beyond the CGI trailer said that. Godzilla also said that the trailer sucked, F13 is excited for the gameplay showcase

The writing and characters are absolutely what I'm most worried about, I do not want them to self censor and make the game sterile and lifeless. A lot of recent sequels and modern games have ruined what made them special and fun.
Those worries are 100% justified, however I personally don't think Volition is going to fall into self censorship, considering they always had "sex positive character portrayals" from 1 to even GooH (can't tell about AoM, haven't played it). And they would have to be really out of touch to feature a city based on Reno and not portray the sexual aspects of its inhabitants and locations at all.
I don't think they are going to tone down the grittiness of the criminal aspect either since they made it clear they wanted to focus on the running of the businesses and they mentioned "drugs" a lot, so hopefully we'll see drug labs, drug dens, illegal sex shops, shantytowns, the kind of gritty locations you'd see in SR2.

I really trust Volition on those aspects, mainly because they are (still) really different from most of the other modern companies, Rock$tar, Bethesda, Bioware, etc... they betrayed their fans countless times (willingly or because of their publishers/investors). That's not the case with Volition, even if they don't make the same games anymore, they still have integrity, they still treat their whole fanbase with respect, anyone can see that with how they reacted to Mike's project, and the promise they made to him. (that's why I don't want to get mad at them as long as they keep this attitude of respect and goodwill, that would be hypocritical).

What I personally understand from the article you mentioned especially from the sentence "We had a different kind of story that we wanted to tell." is that it's the tragic backstories, the revenge plots and the ruthlessness of the main cast that is going to be toned down, the stuff that was most prevalent in SR2 (and 1 to a lesser extent). Volition made it clear that they really don't like how the boss turned out in SR2, to me they are just going to completely remove those kind of stories. None of your friends are going to have a tragic backstory, nothing is going to happen that would leave the boss angry and vengeful. It would make sense with the general feeling that they are trying to make relatable characters, it's hard to relate to someone who did what they did to Jessica.
If this kind of thing does happen, it's going to be handled just like in SR3, in the most neutered way possible.

Kind of shame, this theme of buildings being constructed throughout the story would have been a good opportunity to bury people under fresh cement.

Back