Retexturing Saints Row IV, For Dummies

Can I make a complaint then!!

"Bonus: User Arcayne suggests"

That should read arkayn

Wow, crap. I wasn't even close with that. Sorry! :oops:

I changed it and included an "@" so it links to your profile and I can be completely sure I didn't mess it up again!

Weird. I'm trying to mod out the Broseph Shirt combo and when I extract the Files the DDS looks nothing like your Example. Instead it's all Grey. Here's the cutmesh: custmesh_23934356f. I have a pretty good feeling it's me messing up somewhere.
I'm using GIMP and I have the DDS plugin and everything if that helps.

EDIT: well I just tried to edit the Saints hoodie down. The Texture was just like your skull example. However ,When I went to add an image in, merge it down and saved in a DXT1 format it crashed. Again this could all be me and messin' up somewhere. I'll just give up for now and go back to Tex moddin' Weapons. At least those won't beat me down so hard. I'll also go back and read some of the other posters results.

EDIT Numba 2: Ok I got it workin'. Now the New problem is tryin' to figure out what the hell I did to get it right. yay. BTW if haven't ,well, Thank you for taking the time to write out this guide.

The Third EDIT: So it turned out that I had to add the ASM to the builder. I thought I read somewhere I could use Minimaul's tool to update the ASM.

IV EDIT: Turns out there was nothing wrong with the Broseph File. This has been a long and ugly post with too many EDITs. Too many trials, errors, and fuck ups, But I finally got it working. So once again thank you for the Guide. Everything is A-Ok.

Last edited:
Can someone help me understand the customize_item.asm_pc file?

I'm looking to release a clothing reskin, and I need to include a version of this file that accounts for my reskin. But I don't know whether I can just throw in the one I'm using, or if I need to make a special one, because I'm not sure whether the presence of other installed mods might have made my customize_item.asm_pc customized to my particular mod setup. If so, how would I go about creating a version of this file that is suitable for public release?

If you changed any STR2_PC files, you need to update the ASM_PC file.

Um... was that advice for cyrus or me?
It was directed at you, but it applies to anyone doing Texture modding.

Reading back through what you're asking... You need to make a Vanilla copy of SRIV (Uninstall all mods and then run Steam Verification to refresh your files) and then install your mod and update the ASM_PC file

I followed all the steps and my custom shirt appeared in the game but the whole shirt was white along with the image that I added on it, someone help please, did I miss a step?

A Screenshot sure would be helpful to explain what you're seeing.

hiya. this guide helped me get started so i will share a little trick with you guys who may not be so computer savvy.

when working with the command line, batch files can save you alot of time and effort. here is a simple batch file that will save alot of time with the texture packer.

first of all open your start menu, and search for folder options under the search for files bar and hit enter. in the window that pops up, switch to the "view" tab. here, you want uncheck the option to hide known file types. for a while now consumer windows sets this on by default to help save people from accidentally changing a file type, but we will need to do just that here in a second. hit ok.

open your texture unpacker directory, right click in empty space, hover over "new" and select text document. this will create an unnamed txt file. right click and rename, give it any name you want, but change the .txt, to .bat. windows will promt you to confirm that you want to change the file type, hit ok.

once again, right click the file, and select edit. (double clicking on it at this point will try to run the batch) and paste this in there:

Code:
cd /d %~dp0
cmd.exe

file>save, or simply CTRL-S, and close the file.

whenever you run this batch, it will open a CMD window already pointing to the directory that the batch file resides in. from here you can right click and send to desktop as a shortcut if you wish.

have fun

Back