Re: Flippy's video

I've already had the chance to send out a few messages to several individuals who happen to be interested in volunteering on the project, but I don't believe it hurts to pitch my ambitious plans

I'm certain many of you share the same sentiment as me. While acknowledging there are limitations, we can't let past setbacks hinder our passion. With hope, I aim to fill a void I believe Deep Silver may leave untouched. Our current plan is to recruit talented individuals experienced with SR2 file formats and/or furthering the reverse engineering process. Though experience with Unreal Engine is preferred, it's not mandatory. Once we assemble a skilled team, we'll divide our workflow into sections. One group will focus on reversing code and seeking any additional information to aid in developing a tool for loading files into Unreal Engine to compile and integrate the map. Another group will lay the foundation of all the important aspects of the game's code that we'll be building on top of. Together, we'll collaborate closely, leveraging our diverse skills to achieve our shared goal. Let's turn our vision into reality, together, and bring Saints Row 2 back to life in Unreal Engine. If you're passionate about saints row and eager to contribute your expertise send me a DM here and I the future I will be releasing a discord server, join us in honoring Mike Watson and not letting his passion and flame burnout. I also want to say, this project will be purely voluntary only, and upon completion will be distributed In a manner that requires you own a real copy of the original official SR2, at no point will this ever be sold, nor will we ever be asking for money, it would in my opinion be disrespectful to accept any sort of compensation, this is a project built on a deep love of the franchise, massive respect for those that put so much time into it and a hope for what it could have been. Lastly if you have experience in 3D modeling, audio mixing/mastering, or would just like to be kept up to date, you can add me on discord: zerovandoss

I've already had the chance to send out a few messages to several individuals who happen to be interested in volunteering on the project, but I don't believe it hurts to pitch my ambitious plans

I'm certain many of you share the same sentiment as me. While acknowledging there are limitations, we can't let past setbacks hinder our passion. With hope, I aim to fill a void I believe Deep Silver may leave untouched. Our current plan is to recruit talented individuals experienced with SR2 file formats and/or furthering the reverse engineering process. Though experience with Unreal Engine is preferred, it's not mandatory. Once we assemble a skilled team, we'll divide our workflow into sections. One group will focus on reversing code and seeking any additional information to aid in developing a tool for loading files into Unreal Engine to compile and integrate the map. Another group will lay the foundation of all the important aspects of the game's code that we'll be building on top of. Together, we'll collaborate closely, leveraging our diverse skills to achieve our shared goal. Let's turn our vision into reality, together, and bring Saints Row 2 back to life in Unreal Engine. If you're passionate about saints row and eager to contribute your expertise send me a DM here and I the future I will be releasing a discord server, join us in honoring Mike Watson and not letting his passion and flame burnout. I also want to say, this project will be purely voluntary only, and upon completion will be distributed In a manner that requires you own a real copy of the original official SR2, at no point will this ever be sold, nor will we ever be asking for money, it would in my opinion be disrespectful to accept any sort of compensation, this is a project built on a deep love of the franchise, massive respect for those that put so much time into it and a hope for what it could have been. Lastly if you have experience in 3D modeling, audio mixing/mastering, or would just like to be kept up to date, you can add me on discord: zerovandoss
its a hell of pain in the ass to convert from CTG files to Unreal Engine files without tools or sdk to use it hahaha hell deep sliver themselves they don't know how it works or to use it hahahah

I 100% realize the task ahead and instead of shying away from a tough project I'd rather give it a shot, even if it comes down to using a different engine entirely, I will find some degree of success

I 100% realize the task ahead and instead of shying away from a tough project I'd rather give it a shot, even if it comes down to using a different engine entirely, I will find some degree of success
go for it my friend as long as Deep Sliver never shut it down hahahaha

Just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it, not trying to instigate.

Im sure many of us would love to see screenshots or videos of your progress as you develop this masterpiece.

If you absolutely insist on receiving no compensation for the final product, you could still share your progress via Patreon or some other site, with an optional donation/subscription. Because let's face it... This will be no easy task, and there'll be lots of people like me that would love to help, but don't have the skills. So we'd at least want to show our support in some way.

Also if you can get Stilwater out of SR2, I'd really appreciate it if I could have the 3D file to convert to an STL file for 3D printing

Just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it, not trying to instigate.

Im sure many of us would love to see screenshots or videos of your progress as you develop this masterpiece.

If you absolutely insist on receiving no compensation for the final product, you could still share your progress via Patreon or some other site, with an optional donation/subscription. Because let's face it... This will be no easy task, and there'll be lots of people like me that would love to help, but don't have the skills. So we'd at least want to show our support in some way.

Also if you can get Stilwater out of SR2, I'd really appreciate it if I could have the 3D file to convert to an STL file for 3D printing
I feel the sentiment many of you might have about supporting the project with donations, my biggest issue stems from deep silver, I wouldn't want to be shutdown all because we accepted a little bit of money and they saw that as us making profit off something they own, regardless if it comes to a point where we aren't able to move the project any further without donations then we can sit down and discuss that as a team and community. But as it stands now I feel we have alot more important topics to discuss before we start accepting anything. For those that might not have any technical capabilities and still want to contribute it would help tremendously to get the word out about the project, the more hands on deck the better.

I feel the sentiment many of you might have about supporting the project with donations, my biggest issue stems from deep silver, I wouldn't want to be shutdown all because we accepted a little bit of money and they saw that as us making profit off something they own, regardless if it comes to a point where we aren't able to move the project any further without donations then we can sit down and discuss that as a team and community. But as it stands now I feel we have alot more important topics to discuss before we start accepting anything. For those that might not have any technical capabilities and still want to contribute it would help tremendously to get the word out about the project, the more hands on deck the better.

I don't think DS has any grounds to take down a fan project that contains none of their material. But this whole thing also relies on uncertain reverse-engineering efforts with no guarantees of success, so I'd feel a bit iffy about accepting money from the community anyway.

I've long thought the only way we're going to see SR2 be 'fixed' on PC in any sense is an open-source reimplementation of its game engine, in the same vein as e.g. OpenMW. Unfortunately that's just something I really don't have the time to commit to doing myself, so it's awesome to see that there is someone taking on such a project.

Spurred on by Flippy's video and the recent downtime here, I'd already started collecting as much information as possible on SR2's engine and its file formats, etc. as possible to try and help any such project while the information's still available, and maybe take a stab at coding some helpful utilities. I'll message you later via Discord as requested.

I wanted to point out that this GitHub organisation containing the source code for a number of SR related projects appears to have been hidden or deleted very recently:

https://github.com/saintsrowmods

I imagine some of the code within it could be very useful to anyone attempting to reimplement the SR2 engine, particularly SaintsRowTools, SaintsRow2Tools and ThomasJepp.SaintsRow. Does anyone have a backup of these? There are other copies on GitHub of some of these repositories, but they're out of date compared to the versions under saintsrowmods according to the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine.

I have already messaged Minimaul directly to ask about this; I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Back