Saints Row 2 Questions about upcoming patch and source code

Hello Volition,
First of all, congratulations for finding the Source Code of Saints Row 2. Now my questions:
In your stream, you talked about patching the Steam version of Saints Row 2. Will this patch be available for Windows only, or for GNU/Linux (SteamOS) based systems as well? Because the GNU/Linux (SteamOS) version of the game is also barely playable (especially on newer distros). It would really deserve a polish as well, as GNU/Linux (SteamOS) will be the future of gaming. There are gamers out there, who play on GNU/Linux (SteamOS) and would be really happy as well to get the new patch as well.

My second question is:
Are you planning to release the source code, so that other people could mod the game even better and or port it to different systems / architectures like RISC-V (or something crazy like a Raspberry PI)? You would not only make your fans happy, butt also a completely new audience of open source gamers, (yes that’s a thing) who would be happy to donate some money. You have nothing to lose (especially not your source code ;)).

I hope my questions get answered and I could help others, who had the same kind of question.

Our focus in on the Steam Windows version which all other SR2 PC ports are based on. We can't comment beyond that.

Saints Row 2 has a lot of middleware like Havok that would need to be stripped out of the source. For one, that's a lot of work that we can't commit to with our current resources, and it would also make the source almost completely useless as it wouldn't build. We feel that actually fixing the game like we're doing is a much better option for our players.

Our focus in on the Steam Windows version which all other SR2 PC ports are based on. We can't comment beyond that.

Saints Row 2 has a lot of middleware like Havok that would need to be stripped out of the source. For one, that's a lot of work that we can't commit to with our current resources, and it would also make the source almost completely useless as it wouldn't build. We feel that actually fixing the game like we're doing is a much better option for our players.
Thank you for your quick and honest response. Not the kind of answer I was hoping for, but at least I know more now. Maybe things will look different in another 11 years. I wish you guys much luck and fun fixing Saints Row 2 anyway.

Back