Saints Row 2 NPC editing

Discussion in 'Ask Volition!' started by Minimaul, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Minimaul

Minimaul Site owner Staff Member

Hi,

I've been experimenting with editing NPCs and I've been using carlos_jail as my test.

A couple of questions:

What are npc_carlos_jail, cnpc_carlos_jail and snpc_carlos_jail used for?

I tried editing Carlos to use a hot-dog suit, and got: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=155792394

Are NPC meshes prebaked or something in SR2?

Edit: attached edited files.

Attached Files:

2. [V] MrPlow

[V] MrPlow Volition Staff

Yeah, the geometry for NPCs is prebaked, based on the information in the xtbl files. The cvtf's also get built from the same xtbls, but they only really control some color swapping values.

See this thread for more details: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/how-are-npcs-clothed-made.2568/

I'm working on getting the NPC building tools updated and pushed out in one of the next couple of drops.

3. [V] MrPlow

[V] MrPlow Volition Staff

Also, SNPC files were for "story" cutscenes, where we had more memory to devote to characters. We used larger textures on these, so the PEG files for an SNPC_blah are usually significantly larger than those for the regular NPC version.
    CNPCs were used in "activity" cutscenes, where we couldn't rearrange memory and block things off with loading screens. The only real difference between an NPC and a CNPC is that the CNPC version includes morphing data for full lipsync and enhanced facial animation. NPCs for normal gameplay, I believe, only had enough facial morph data to flap their mouths around arbitrarily while they played voice lines.

4. Minimaul

Minimaul Site owner Staff Member

That makes sense with what I'm seeing here. I can change materials on clothing items, change colours, and interestingly I can hide parts of the mesh by changing what VIDs a clothing item obscures.

At least I'm not going mad. ;)

5. [V] IdolNinja

[V] IdolNinja Volition Staff

I think the verdict is still out on that one. ;)

6. InnocentSam

InnocentSam Modding patch tester

7. Any chance that this will be available in the updated saints row 2? Would be cool if we had more editing power for npcs (beyond just color changes).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice