Looking at a new Computer.

KOTOR works fine for me on Win7 x64 with no patching of any kind. Where did you hear that it had issues?

My PC, and GameFront has got a fix. I think it was TSL.

TSL? The Sith Lords? That's actually KOTOR II. I beat it on oxbox and also have the PC boxed retail sitting on my shelf for when I finally get around to doing a second playthrough with the mod that restores all the cut content.

TSL? The Sith Lords? That's actually KOTOR II. I beat it on oxbox and also have the PC boxed retail sitting on my shelf for when I finally get around to doing a second playthrough with the mod that restores all the cut content.
got K1 & K2. K2 with TSLRCM is MUCH MORE fun than without, just unluckily that the Multiplayer will never be there .___.

I'm not aware of Vista being able to run anything 7 can't. XP is another matter, as is Windows 95, as is DOS. You won't find many games made in the last 10 years that can't be made to run on 7, though.
I've run into a few games that ran ok on Vista 64-bit but not on Windows 7, but mostly it's the other way around - a lot of old games run better on Windows 7 than they did on Vista.

I've never had that issue yet. DOS is actually the easiest to run stuff on, as dosbox exists. Windows 3.1 is *sort of* doable, dosbox manages that too, but I think it has issues with stuff like say WinG which some games require. Windows 9x is doable but harder, typically involving a virtual machine, making it slow and bad (yes even on your mean machine of nowadays), but doable. A lot of XP stuff runs just fine, and the issue that might come up is that it's a 32 bit game on a 64 bit OS, particularly if it uses copy protection (a good reason to break it if you own the game, but only if, not saying piracy here)... and at that point Vista is no better than 7.

Unless we're comparing 32-bit Vista versus 64-bit Win7. In which case it's not a contest, because I doubt any new computer only has 3gb of ram. Seriously, that's the limit. Oh, and your hard drive has to be under 2tb, as you need to use the GPT format instead of MBR to handle that large a drive, and only 64-bit handles that. In fact, I'm not sure if Vista can even do UEFI, meaning yeah, no big hard drives.

Typically, it's a non-competition. The kernel is the same but improved.. win7 takes up less memory than vista and runs faster. The only issue would be drivers, really, and if your drivers are old enough to only work with vista not 7 you should really update them.

As for a computer itself.. best bet may be to custom-build. It's not that hard, matter is getting the right parts (for instance, if you get a newer intels, you need to make sure you get a motherboard with a 2011 socket not 1011 since that's the new design). After that just putting it together, and slapping on your OEM Win7 and being patient. Oh, and making sure you boot from dvd in UEFI mode and that bios is UEFI not compatability, if your hard drive is over 2tb. I found that out the hard way, that it's not always automatic, when setting up the machine I'm on now.

It's certainly much cheaper.

Oh, and the issue with KOTOR crashing? Multiple cores. No, really. The game HATES multi-core systems, and has problems even in XP on machines with them. If you set the affinity to just 1 core it typically works fine. Assuming you don't have issues with the DLL, and replace that, it's a driver thing in this case that assumes some really bad coding practices that were fixed, so it goes bad. Never had KOTOR2 crash over that one though, but KOTOR2 is buggy and that's because LucasArts specifically told Obsidian they couldn't patch the game, even when they offered to do it on their own time/money.

While i again agree that assembling a system yourself is cheaper and very easy (aside from mounting the heat sink -- i hate that part), the OP said he wants a laptop, so i don't think it's going to be an option. Although it would be nice, the layout of the components and the shape of the case are so tightly tied together.

I've never had that issue yet. DOS is actually the easiest to run stuff on, as dosbox exists. Windows 3.1 is *sort of* doable, dosbox manages that too, but I think it has issues with stuff like say WinG which some games require. Windows 9x is doable but harder, typically involving a virtual machine, making it slow and bad (yes even on your mean machine of nowadays), but doable. A lot of XP stuff runs just fine, and the issue that might come up is that it's a 32 bit game on a 64 bit OS, particularly if it uses copy protection (a good reason to break it if you own the game, but only if, not saying piracy here)... and at that point Vista is no better than 7.

Unless we're comparing 32-bit Vista versus 64-bit Win7. In which case it's not a contest, because I doubt any new computer only has 3gb of ram. Seriously, that's the limit. Oh, and your hard drive has to be under 2tb, as you need to use the GPT format instead of MBR to handle that large a drive, and only 64-bit handles that. In fact, I'm not sure if Vista can even do UEFI, meaning yeah, no big hard drives.

Typically, it's a non-competition. The kernel is the same but improved.. win7 takes up less memory than vista and runs faster. The only issue would be drivers, really, and if your drivers are old enough to only work with vista not 7 you should really update them.

As for a computer itself.. best bet may be to custom-build. It's not that hard, matter is getting the right parts (for instance, if you get a newer intels, you need to make sure you get a motherboard with a 2011 socket not 1011 since that's the new design). After that just putting it together, and slapping on your OEM Win7 and being patient. Oh, and making sure you boot from dvd in UEFI mode and that bios is UEFI not compatability, if your hard drive is over 2tb. I found that out the hard way, that it's not always automatic, when setting up the machine I'm on now.

It's certainly much cheaper.

Oh, and the issue with KOTOR crashing? Multiple cores. No, really. The game HATES multi-core systems, and has problems even in XP on machines with them. If you set the affinity to just 1 core it typically works fine. Assuming you don't have issues with the DLL, and replace that, it's a driver thing in this case that assumes some really bad coding practices that were fixed, so it goes bad. Never had KOTOR2 crash over that one though, but KOTOR2 is buggy and that's because LucasArts specifically told Obsidian they couldn't patch the game, even when they offered to do it on their own time/money.
The KOTOR Problem in Vista + 7 is, that the GAME doesn't detect some Graphic-Cards on some Systems & just crashed after 1 - 5 minutes.
KOTOR 2 was the first game, i bought of the KOTOR series, because it was cheaper than the 1st, now i know why :D I'm happy that theres TSLRCM which restores the cutout content.

Mmm... laptops are kinda hard to get compact. I spent a lot of money on mine as a gaming laptop. The main trouble is they are EXPENSIVE. Even basic good ones with proper graphics cards, you're probably looking at least $2500 and up. Typically it's a matter of finding a place that sells good ones, and order from there. Shop around, get reviews. And be prepared to admit that if something goes wrong, you're stuck with a good few hundred bucks minimum to fix it, unless you pay warranty, because you have to send it to them most likely.

And KOTOR has an issue with multi-core cpus. It may have an issue with graphics cards too, but disabling multi-core affinity (well, setting affinity to just one core) fixed all my issues. I think the problem is the game is really not made for modern systems.

Really though, win9X is the worst to work with, because the xp and on architechture is so different they refuse to run. Even worse, that was the era they introduced all sorts of secondary programs and codecs to make stuff work.. and those codecs were NOT reverse compatible. Remember how many games needed Quicktime back then? Worse, only THEIR variety of QT because the newer versions refused to play with stuff made for the older ones? Even with the OS it was made for, some games wouldn't run because you had the wrong version. As much as people hate Microsoft, DirectX was a good idea in that regard. I just wish it was open so other systems could use it without weird hackery, like OpenGL or otherwise.

Back