I think I killed the dynamic weather system

No, they are undefined. There's only 4 and the game picks one randomly. If you create more without specifying any of the lighting settings, the game will create transitional lighting and Sun/Moon position as per their orbits.

The above screenshot with the Sun and the Moon is a transitional TOD between night and morning, if my memory serves me.

I believe that I will leave this encogen's very capable hands. :)

I'm suddenly wondering if it'd be possible to slot in 24 (or even 48!) time slices for each hour (or half hour), and put a thing in the lua scripts somewhere to periodically force a time update, to fake a sort of dynamic schedule system over a 'game day'. The problem of course is if it actually does any sort of update when it's told, or if it has to actively load the world again, akin to when a mission is suddenly loaded, and forcing otherwise won't make anything visually update.

Of course I know about nothing of lua.. so for all I know you can't have a sleeping looping function or it'd take too much overhead...

I know very little about actual modding, but I do know that the game must recognize some sort of time system, since an in-game hour seems to equal 15 minutes in real life (going by how often you receive your hourly income). Not only that, the engine seems capable of forcing a change in time on the spot with the cheats. In my layman opinion it would just be a matter of fixing the game to automatically force a change every two or three in-game hours, but I'm sure it's far more complicated than that.

While that may be possible, the transitions between states would be missing. It would make the changes quite jarring.

I'd hoped that with half-hour blocks as afforded by 48 timeblocks it wouldn't be so jarring, in that the time of say 3AM is very much like that of 3:30. (Unless your sunset is at that time, but I don't think Steelport is anywhere that far north). However, when I think about it, the problem is the specific transitional points from light to dark where the sky would dramatically change over a shorter period of time. Maybe it could be spread out, so most of noontime and nighttime are only two or three blocks apiece, but the actual sunrise-sunset is say 12 blocks to itself each? Again, I'm not sure how much overhead this'd throw on with the game having to recalculate the sky every minute or two...

And then if you throw in the transitional periods.. how fine does the game auto-generate said transitions? Is it a transition in a hard-coded setup, or is it somewhere between the nearest two defined states? Is it possible to have the game auto-generate enough precision to approximate it? Does it only allow 48 blocks or is that only 'pre-defined' blocks and it can auto-interpolate more on its own but can't be defined?

Eh, I think the problem alone is why Volition didn't bother.. sure they should have done it from the start (my guess is "We couldn't make the lighting engine do it" meant "We couldn't make the lighting engine do it on consoles that are well past their prime, and maybe lower-end PCs, but higher-end can cope fine") but doing it later would have been more work than it was worth and they just wanted to ship the game.

Alas.

even if it were forced to just do transitions between the 4 default time periods, I don't think the average person would be staring at the sky at the right moment to see the actual transition. They'd more likely be inside a crib or behind a building. So with the apparent 48 blocks available, I'm sure the transition could be a little smoother. Even with just 8, it could be pretty smooth.

Personally, I don't expect to see the sun smoothly moving across the sky and below the horizon like it would in SR2, I'd just like to start my save while at nighttime and decide to quit while it's midday, all without a loading time.

so it turns out that while the Zombie mod included in GoS has the rain disabled, the Pedestrian AI mod that was built on top of the zombie mod doesn't, so all I had to do was reinstall GoS without the zombie mod and now I have both rain and the AI mod!

Back