How Do I Use An Existing (OBJ) Model's Textures Instead Of Making New Ones

Okay, as expected, those complex models can have more than 3 texture files as you can see. You have the phongs there already, just link the corrects textures to each phong, (diffuse, bump) and then apply them to the model the same way i told you before. Simple.

However... you already merged the whole model into a single mesh, so applying textures might be a hard task. Since u cant select anything individually (just the eyes/hair/etc). Selecting UV shells is the way to go.

-Hold right click to activate radial menu>UV>UV shell. This will allow you to select an specfic region of the model, just check which texture match that part and apply the phong material directly to the selected UV shell

Um...dumb question. How do I activate the radial menu? Sorry if it really dumb but I am REALLY new with MAYA

Heyo here a little update on a NEW issue I ran into AFTER I put the materials on the specific shells lol....ugh I suck lol.

1st)
SUBBY001.PNG

This is what I got in MAYA 2015 after putting the materials on. As you can see they are transparent even though I made sure to add on the n.tga I made for each materials into each Phong. Normally I notice that they revert back to normal when in game so.....

2nd)
SUBBY002.PNG

These are the new Phongs I made in place of the model's old ones. I kept the blank male template's Phong and just replaced it with my "cm_SUBBY_d.tga" and "cm_SUBBY_n.tga."

3rd)
SUBBY003.PNG

As you can see in the FBX converter the Phongs are there but there is an additional one some how added to it, that being "Default_Material". I dunno how or why it was added but I theorized that maybe because I deleted the model's old materials they where converted into "Default_Material" phong. How knows.

4th)
SUBBY004.PNG

I dunno if I should be concern about this but during the converting process it showed this in the command prompt.

5th)
SUBBY005.PNG

As you can see it successfully converted it

6th)
SUBBY006.PNG

Same for packing it as well

7th)
SUBBY007.PNG

These are the files for the male version after converting in the "output" folder and of course I copy/paste the .cmorph_pc into the main part of the mod folder

8th)
SUBBY008.PNG

These are the files I imported into the new mod

9th)
SUBBY009.PNG

As you can see I have tried to fix this on my own but to no avail....ugh

10th)
SUBBY010.PNG

File sizes

11)
SUBBY011.PNG

As you can see it was a success

12)
Now as you can see the problem..... :(
SUBBY012.jpg

As you can see the textures are warped so the arms and parts of the fingers are now black. I think it because of the "Default_Material" phong that was added.

Man this is getting depressing lol. It seems I just can't get this to work lol. Hope you can help, again, me with this problem. Thank you for the continuing support and help and thank you in advance for the help.

Heyo here a little update on a NEW issue I ran into AFTER I put the materials on the specific shells lol....ugh I suck lol.

1st)
View attachment 19900
This is what I got in MAYA 2015 after putting the materials on. As you can see they are transparent even though I made sure to add on the n.tga I made for each materials into each Phong. Normally I notice that they revert back to normal when in game so.....

2nd)
View attachment 19901
These are the new Phongs I made in place of the model's old ones. I kept the blank male template's Phong and just replaced it with my "cm_SUBBY_d.tga" and "cm_SUBBY_n.tga."

3rd)
View attachment 19902
As you can see in the FBX converter the Phongs are there but there is an additional one some how added to it, that being "Default_Material". I dunno how or why it was added but I theorized that maybe because I deleted the model's old materials they where converted into "Default_Material" phong. How knows.

4th)
View attachment 19903
I dunno if I should be concern about this but during the converting process it showed this in the command prompt.

5th)
View attachment 19904
As you can see it successfully converted it

6th)
View attachment 19905
Same for packing it as well

7th)
View attachment 19906
These are the files for the male version after converting in the "output" folder and of course I copy/paste the .cmorph_pc into the main part of the mod folder

8th)
View attachment 19907
These are the files I imported into the new mod

9th)
View attachment 19908
As you can see I have tried to fix this on my own but to no avail....ugh

10th)
View attachment 19909
File sizes

11)
View attachment 19910
As you can see it was a success

12)
Now as you can see the problem..... :(
View attachment 19911
As you can see the textures are warped so the arms and parts of the fingers are now black. I think it because of the "Default_Material" phong that was added.

Man this is getting depressing lol. It seems I just can't get this to work lol. Hope you can help, again, me with this problem. Thank you for the continuing support and help and thank you in advance for the help.

Its looking good so far, however debugging step can be really tedious lol.

1.- _n.tga files are used to add a bump to the model, it doesnt affects transparency at all. But I see what you mean, it seems like the mesh is "see through" This can mean that the mesh is corrupted somehow, but considering that in game looks ok, this must be something realted to the view in maya.

2.- The white/gray phong1 is the material applied to the players template, one ends up erasing it, so the phong is left behind. Not really matters.

3.- The default material is created during exporting when theres a polygon left without any material applied. It can be a small one you forgot to assign a material. If its not visible, it wont matter if its there, it wont be shown in game if its hidden. U can leave it, or try to look for the missing part.

4.- That alert is always shown. High quality mesh=more vertex=more weights. It doesnt affect you at all, so let it go.

12.- This one is hard to guess, but considering that in mayas view looks fine, maybe is something related to the mesh normals. A normal is the direction the polygon is facing, this determines where the texture is shown when rendering. (Inside or outside)

To know the direction, select the mesh/UV shell>Display>Polygons>Face normals. Green arrows will appear and they should tell you the direction the texture is facing. In this case, the arrows must be pointing to the outside.

If they are inverted: select the UV shell>mesh display>Reverse (click the square). Mark select faces and Reverse user normals. And then click Reverse normals

001001.PNG

Yea...I don't think the inverted thing is the problem lol. But however when looking at the ExportReady FBX model I notice this.
Capture.PNG

Thoughts?

Oh so basically the default material phong is just an accidental duplicate of Phong 1?

Last edited:
Back