From a dubstep gun to a metal gun?

We just need to hear some more info from Volition in the other thread. If this is hard coded into the game, it will be more of a pain to deal with. If not, then we need to know more about adding markers to audio files.

(Music genre aside, it would also be funny to just have a gun repeatedly saying "Fuck you" or something, if you added markers to the audio - in theory it might work, but I'm more focused on Metal).

That wouldn't work, each song has specific flags as for when it should fire the pulses, so without the ability to update those, they won't behave correctly.
I'm by no means an expert on how the game files work, but I imagine that if the audio files were replaced they'd likely play the modified audio while using the visual effects from the original song. And yes, part of the draw of the dubstep gun is the visuals syncing with the audio, but if you just wanted the gun to play a different song and were not worried about the visuals, that would likely be entirely doable by the method Bloodjack mentioned.

They've said in another thread that the actual timing for the dubstep gun's pulses/wubs/etc is a set of markers on the audio file when they add it (more specifically, on the designated loop portion, only, it ignores it on build-up/release). It may be hard-coded from there, but it's in the audio files. Without the markers, a new song just thrown in it'd probably do a lot of nothing but play music. Thus we need more from Volition on this before we can just throw audio in.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247293/
Take a bullet-laden trip through musical history! Get the crowd off its feet with the power of polka, set those hepcats a-swinging with big band, indulge your refined side with some classical, and then start the moshpit with some heavy metal.

while having fun with the game files I came across the sounds used for the dubstep gun.
There is actually 3 .ogg files for each guns.
sounds_common_XXXX.ogg : less than a second long, it's the part of the music when you press the trigger but it does not inflict damages yet.
sounds_common_XXXX~Song_Start.ogg : the actual hurting part. more or less 28sc, loopable.
Sounds_common_XXXX~Death.ogg : the sound played when you release the trigger.

So yeah, you can already replace the music if you want, I guess... You have to create those 3 files and replace them. (<--- total theory !)

That's the attack, loop, and release (ALR). There's also the equip loop, which is just a sample from somewhere else in the song that's looped with a little LPF applied.

Now, a thought... if you were to locate and separate and/or duplicate the metadata holding the tags from these files, you could apply them to any song you wanted for a quick and dirty dubstep mod that doesn't actually line up... but it does replace the songs. I'm not actually completely sure how to do this (gotta earn it yerselfs) or if it'll even work (I'm still learning how you guys do stuff) but it's a start.

As far as I know, that metadata is the only thing determining the fire rate and type. It should theoretically work on any sound file if you edit it and drop it in properly. IF.

Wouldn't be dubstep if it was clean.

I suppose its worth noting that the recent Dubstep Remix DLC added a death metal track for use with a new dubstep gun.

Back