From a dubstep gun to a metal gun?

If possible, I'd like the dubstep gun to be able to be modded to play metal instead when it fires. There are some tracks I have I'd like to see, so if anyone could point to where that could be edited, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if this will require the SDK or not, but please do say so. Thank you.

If possible, I'd like the dubstep gun to be able to be modded to play metal instead when it fires. There are some tracks I have I'd like to see, so if anyone could point to where that could be edited, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if this will require the SDK or not, but please do say so. Thank you.
they should make the dubstep gun play the ATHF theme. that would be sick.

I don't see why not. I mean I'm no expert at modding, but I would assume all it would take would be to replace the weapons audio file with a track you like.

Of course there is also the visual effect to think about. Have you noticed that when you use the Dubstep gun, the game's effects both the gun (the waves it shoots out) and the environment (like a pulsing effect) are based around the audio from the gun, like bass drops, or whatever (I can't think of the words right now). That might be something else that might have to be looked into, it depends if they coded the game to get that info from the audio file itself or what (I have mixed reaction to this a side of me feels they did as it would be easier when it came to adding audio and not working on each track individually, another doesn't)

I haven't seen anything defining how it does the different 'beat' effects, or the pulsing.. I suspect it's done in the anim files since each variant has a few of them for different bits.

If that's the case, no proper synchronizing the gun to the beats until after we can work on those files. Too bad too, my personal one wouldn't involve adding any songs, but using one of the existing popular ones already in-game :) (Variant nicknamed "What Is Wub")

Wouldn't it be funny if it did scan the audio file and render it in real time and how fast the music is would amp up the damage. Imagine what one Dragonforce guitar solo would do to those poor,dumb alien bastards. :p

Wouldn't it be funny if it did scan the audio file and render it in real time and how fast the music is would amp up the damage. Imagine what one Dragonforce guitar solo would do to those poor,dumb alien bastards. :p
Look at Audiosurf, that's what I have a feeling they might have the gun's actions mapped to the audio provided.

Yeah Dragonforce that gun would be going crazy

It's possible, but the reason I doubt it is they're already under enough memory and processor constraints to make the game run on those poor poor decade-old consoles. Running all of that AND a 'quick and dirty' beat-mapping algorithm? On a weapon that started out as a bug and worked into a neat weapon with dramatic effects as it goes? Doubtful. Possible, but doubtful.

Also, damage is static likely, considering it's upgradable. I suspect the gun 'fires' pulses, and the light show is more for effect, than them actually being the damaging projectiles. Tough to confirm though, because things tend to die too quickly either way with it wubbing at them...

It's possible, but the reason I doubt it is they're already under enough memory and processor constraints to make the game run on those poor poor decade-old consoles. Running all of that AND a 'quick and dirty' beat-mapping algorithm? On a weapon that started out as a bug and worked into a neat weapon with dramatic effects as it goes? Doubtful. Possible, but doubtful.

Also, damage is static likely, considering it's upgradable. I suspect the gun 'fires' pulses, and the light show is more for effect, than them actually being the damaging projectiles. Tough to confirm though, because things tend to die too quickly either way with it wubbing at them...
So wait you're telling me the weapon was originally a bug? or what?

Also, I just tested the gun with all 3 customized skins, and the gun and the environment is effected by the audio playing from it. When playing a song, the gun itself has a needle in the middle of the vinyl that ticks over the left the more intense the song gets (the sliders towards the back are also effected by the music in how they slide (they slide downwards)). Also watch the wavelengths (or more the scope) that leaves the weapon. It may look all the same but in actuality when a more intense note comes again, you'll see the lines spike up higher then more subtle tones (it maybe hard to see at first, but focus on the spot where you see the peaks occur, and look closely you'll see at some times the lines stay lower in height, it may not seem that way at first, but you're mind might be blurring it all so it all looks the same). Oh yes and there is also the environment effect I talk about where you see the screen "pulse". (tip, use the Pop Star skin, you'll probably see some of these the best with that one, then just shoot the gun into the air watching it)

The needle, sliders, scope line, and environmental pulse all will follow the same style you might say. The more intense (aka a harder bass you might say) the needle will fly to the left more, the sliders will go down more, the scope line will spike higher, and the environmental "pulse" occurs.

I can't say for sure, but I wonder if maybe they are on standards, at least with the pulse and scope line (the other two might have like set markers to hit when these other two do, and then tween in between).

Yes I know a lot, but I have a thing for music, and have a natural musical ear as well as naturally picking up on the beat of a song.

Now once again I don't know a whole lot about how to work with audio on the computer ... yet, but one theory is they programed it so if the song hits a certain volume, freq, or whatever, that these set points I talk about above are then triggered. This would probably require very little work, and nothing more then a few if statements ... but then again who knows, maybe I should write up a question in the "Ask Volition" section of the forums cause now I am really curious

DragonForce would definitely provide one of the tracks for this, I was hoping - that way the gun is well...not a robot - it's power metal. :p. Awesome to know I'm not the only one who would enjoy a mod that could do this.

Depending on what the audio SDK might allow, I'm not sure what the devs might say in the 'Ask Volition' thread - they might answer the question with specifics, or direct you to the SDK for more info. Then again, they could say it's not possible to do - which wouldn't be good :(.

Back