Workshop thievery

Well, I've wanted to create a Workshop edition of Sandbox+ as well earlier but... Eh...
Psst, 'control_binding_sets.xtbl' and 'control_schemes.xtbl' are unsupported.
Just do the...download this after you subscribe thing like Crib Mod. :p ;)

@Fan of Saints

Hey there. I think I'm the "other guy" you mentioned , and I appreciate you not calling me out since I credited the author, but I actually don't mind because I strived for full transparency through the whole process.

There are a lot of mods on here not on the workshop, and I agree ideally the authors would post them and provide not only better support than I can but get the credit they deserve. Unfortunately some of the authors have not been active on this site in over a year.

In the case of this mod, and what I had planned to do with any future conversions, I:

1. Contacted the author informing him/her about my intentions. Did not post anything publicly on Steam for a week.

2. Contacted the author again and let him/her know I'd remove the Steam workshop version upon request.

3. Mentioned twice is the mod description I did not create the mod, only did the conversion, and credited the original author.

4. Will absolutely remove this mod if the original author comes back and wants to post it from his/her account.

This mod too (Unlimited Super Powers) is pretty simple. It only requires changing a few numerical values in the xml file. It doesn't require any graphics hacking, and beyond changing a few numbers, modifying any game assets. So there's not a secondary way to go about this. Someone either converts the values to the new format or the mod simply can no longer exist.

In fact, after the work I did for the conversion- I can honestly tell you that if you compared the original file, the original mod, and my SteamWork mod, there are far more differences between the original file and my version then there are the original mod and the Volition file.

That being said, I understand the other side of the argument, and would really like feedback from the community and IdolNinja on this approach. I could easily make this mod private and just use it myself, but thought other people may enjoy using it.

Let me know what you think. As I said before, I was open about all this for a reason.

Last edited:
For something like that, you should have added myself and the site admins to the PMs so that we are aware of the situation BEFORE uploading it. If we were in the loop and the original author didn't respond then we would give you the green light to do it.

Speaking as devil's advocate here, but what gives anyone the right to upload someone else's work if they don't have permission to do so?
If you don't have permission, then you don't have permission. Surely that's the end of it?

"stuff" sometimes needs to be saved or else it disappears never to be found again.
That. If creator(s) are no longer available, I don't think there should be any restrictions when it comes to reusing/reuploading their work, as long as they didn't restrict that in any way earlier and you give them a proper credit. I realize that they might eventually show up some time, but they really should state it clearly before leaving if they wish to control the use of their work.

So? How does that give someone the right to upload someone else's work?
Besides, mods aren't needs, they're wants.

Lol ,sorry ,i didn't read the OP ,just the comment above.

Yeh ,that's out of order ,usually idiotic scumbags like that get stamped on pretty quick by the community.

I was thinking of the hours i've spent hunting down old mods for various pc games.,some can be very hard to find .

We need to create a big Great Index of Mods listing the mods available on this site and their creators??

Back