Language String Editors - SR:TT AND SR2

M

Minimaul

Edit: These tools have been replaced with the ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildStrings.exe and ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe tools available from Minimaul's Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row IV and Gat Out Of Hell tools.

These programs allow you to edit the text displayed on screen in Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row 2.

Using these tools - with Saints Row: The Third
You will need:
- misc.vpp_pc extracted somewhere - mine are extracted to d:\Gaming\Saints Row 3\misc - the le_strings files are in here
- misc_tables.vpp_pc extracted somewhere - mine are extracted to d:\Gaming\Saints Row 3\misc_tables
- the file you want to edit. I'll use hud_us.le_strings

1. Download and extract the tools to a new folder.
  2. Copy the le_strings file you want to edit to this folder
  3. Open up a command prompt and browse to the folder the tools are in
  4. Type the following:
    Code:
    ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="d:\Gaming\Saints Row 3\misc_tables" hud_us.le_strings
    and press enter. Adjust the paths as necessary.
  5. A file called hud_us.txt will be created. This contains all the language strings stored in the file. You can now edit these as you like.
  6. Once you've finished editing the strings, go back to your command prompt. Now type:
    Code:
    ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildStrings.exe hud_us.txt
    and press enter.
  7. This will create hud_us.le_strings - overwriting the original file we had there.
  8. Copy this file to your SR3 directory and start the game! Your changes should be visible!

Using these tools - with Saints Row 2
You will need:
- patch.vpp_pc extracted somewhere - mine are extracted to d:\Gaming\Saints Row 2\patch - the le_strings files are in here. Some of the le_strings files are not included with SR2. Get them from Gentlemen of the Row.
- the file you want to edit. I'll use static_us.le_strings

1. Download and extract the tools to a new folder.
  2. Copy the le_strings file you want to edit to this folder
  3. Open up a command prompt and browse to the folder the tools are in
  4. Type the following:
    Code:
    ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -sr2 -xtbl="d:\Gaming\Saints Row 2\patch" static_us.le_strings
    and press enter. Adjust the paths as necessary.
  5. A file called static_us.txt will be created. This contains all the language strings stored in the file. You can now edit these as you like.
  6. Once you've finished editing the strings, go back to your command prompt. Now type:
    Code:
    ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildStrings.exe -sr2 static_us.txt
    and press enter.
  7. This will create static_us.le_strings - overwriting the original file we had there.
  8. Copy this file to your SR2 modified folder, rebuild your patch.vpp_pc and start the game! Your changes should be visible!

Notes:
- You can add new strings - just make sure you follow the same format:
Code:
"STRING_NAME": "String text"

Some examples:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153634495
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153639692
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153638985

Changes
Rev 1: First Release.
Rev 2: Added an error message if you try to add a duplicate key.

Source code: https://github.com/saintsrowmods/ThomasJepp.SaintsRow

Attachments

• StringTools-rev1.7z
    14.1 KB · Views: 957
  • StringTools-rev2.7z
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,439
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Minimaul,does this tool also work for the text displayed on the cellphone?

We use this system for localization, so any string in game should be in one of these files.

I'm updating GotR right now with corrected weapon names, (and a few other things.)

After releasing the new version of GotR, I had an idea. What if we have a community string file with everyone's modded strings variables and make sure to include them in future mod releases. That way we can just add our own to the existing community one and then everyone has all the variables inside it so it works correctly with all mods. I'm still thinking of the best way to do it though. I think it might be as simple as including the extra text variables in a mod release as a separate text file, and someone keeps track and keeps a shared one up to date.

WTF? I have this.
38a1b3799315817d22cb72a1a1fb3da8.png

That's certainly not how mine extracted. Did you perhaps accidentally use the -sr2 parameter, or maybe pointed it at the wrong folder that should have your extracted misc_tables.vpp_pc archive?

For example, here's my batch file:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" activity_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" customize_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" diversion_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" hud_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" menu_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" mission_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" multiplayer_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" platform_pc_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" platform_ps3_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" platform_xbox360_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" static_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" subtitle_us.le_strings
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe -xtbl="E:\sr3mod\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc" voice_script_us.le_strings
pause

Those numbers are caused from doing a direct drag and drop extract of le_string files or possibly a small typo in the command or something. As IdolNinja posted, make sure your command looks like that and it points to wherever you extracted your misc_tables. Then you should be good to go.

After releasing the new version of GotR, I had an idea. What if we have a community string file with everyone's modded strings variables and make sure to include them in future mod releases. That way we can just add our own to the existing community one and then everyone has all the variables inside it so it works correctly with all mods. I'm still thinking of the best way to do it though. I think it might be as simple as including the extra text variables in a mod release as a separate text file, and someone keeps track and keeps a shared one up to date.
Someone can host a shared file and keep an eye on the mod releases forum, so that when a mod is released/updated they download the files and update the shared file accordingly, but then we would need a human to do it - and you know how humans are.

The problem of merging the files could be solved if the modders file is in a specific format - something like:
<Line No.> : <Text>
Then a merging tool would be easy to build.
That way the person that keeps track if the "master" .le_strings file could update them easily - maybe he could get notified by rss.

Back