Weapons texture mods

I liked the Joe's Tacticool Weapons mod but was wishing for a recoloring of the M2 Grenade Launcher. So I started doing some modding and adapting the look to fit with my Ultor Assassin decker mod.

You can pretty much use with other weapon mods and decide which version of which weapon to use.

Those mods do involve the file Items_Containers.asm_pc .

I humbly suggest an easy way to deal with having multiple texture mods ( that involve updating some *.asm_pc files) in the game root folder: a tool I wrote by udating some of IdolNinja batchfiles. It can be found at:

https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/index.php?threads/sr3-asm_pc-files-updater.1561/

I have put an update of tool so that it now deals with Items_Containers.asm_pc

For both Nocturne and the Shock Hammer, I saw that the files were supporting 2 looks for the weapons: standard metallic and neon virtual reality. I changed the textures by overwriting the metallic look parts with the neon look. And for the shock hammer, I extensively modified the rest of the coloring.

As for the grenade launcher, I modified the texture so that some strips no longer look worn down. I did not put much time on this weapon and might modify it later on after some usage in game.

Edit: repackaged all the weapon mods in a version2. It contains the previous 6 weapons mods (those have not been modified further), and 2 new weapons. See images below for more details.

Edit: added a 9th weapon as a separate download: the AR-55 (NG Rifle). See images below for more details.

Edit: added a 10th weapon as a separate download: the RC Possessor. See images below for more details.

Note: the costume my character is wearing in those screenshots is a mod I made of the Ultor Assassin suit. It can be found at:
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/index.php?threads/ultor-assassin-costume-mod-decker-style.1546/

weapons decker look.jpg
weapons2.jpg
ar55.jpg
RC Possessor.jpg
weapons decker usage.jpgweapons3.jpg

Attachments

• SR3_Weapons_TextureMod_DeckerStyleV2.7z
    4.5 MB · Views: 4,162
  • SR3_NGRifle_TextureMod_DeckerStyleV1.7z
    743.3 KB · Views: 2,008
  • SR3_RCPossessor_TextureMod_DeckerStyleV1.7z
    694.3 KB · Views: 1,924
Holy shit that's pretty damn awesome.
EDIT:
I would LOVE to see this on the stag weapons, and stun gun.
And the decker sword had now a bit the look of the decker VR sword. Neat.

Those decker skins look boss as fuck. Nice work. :)

These are lovely. Not my taste, but really well done.

Regarding textures generally, in particular: how can you tell what format a DDS file is (e.g. DXT1, DXT3 explicit alpha and so on) in order to save it in the right format once it's edited to your liking? I was messing with gun textures but kept crashing at one point, and at others I've packed textures and such correctly but the game sits and fails to load; I assume that was why. Successes I've had so far have been based on roughly similar file size + trial and error.

Regarding textures generally, in particular: how can you tell what format a DDS file is (e.g. DXT1, DXT3 explicit alpha and so on) in order to save it in the right format once it's edited to your liking? I was messing with gun textures but kept crashing at one point, and at others I've packed textures and such correctly but the game sits and fails to load; I assume that was why. Successes I've had so far have been based on roughly similar file size + trial and error.

If you open the original dds in WTV, it will show you the compression format, resolution, and MipMap values in the bottom pane.

If you open the original dds in WTV, it will show you the compression format, resolution, and MipMap values in the bottom pane.

What is WTV? 'whatever'?

I would like to have an easy way of determining that as well. In GIMP, when I open an image and check Image Properties, I find no information on compression settings.

I have 2 rules of thumb:

1) My compressed DDS files should be the same size as the original compressed DDS file. A significant difference probably means a wrong compression setting was chosen.

2) The best setting by default is DXT1. It gives the most compression. As long as your file does not contain alpha information, DXT1 is probably the right choice. Certain files do show an alpha channel, but when you look at that alpha channel, you see it is all white. DXT1 is ok in that case. But if I see an alpha channel that is not completely white, it means some alpha information is actually stored in the alpha channel, and in that case the files in this game seem to always be saved with the compression setting of DXt5 (or DXT5n for some normal files).

Your issues of the game crashing or not loading might very well be related to some *.asm_pc files issues. Are you updating the relevant *.asm_pc file once you have produced your *.str2_pc file?

Back